Food Issues

Options
kglowins
kglowins Posts: 111 Member
Just curious....What foods did you have issues with eating? Were you able to eat red meat, nuts, popcorn (I know you have to wait 6 months)?

Replies

• lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have more than I thought but not enough to really effect my life...
    - dairy: lactose intolerance but I can eat cottage cheese and certain cheeses and lactose free yogurts
    - lettuce/ spinach/ leafy greens - a little is fine but a whole salad is hard on my system so I eat easier veggies
    - mushrooms: I dont know why but it just doesnt sit right
    - red meat: if its ground up its ok though
    - certain fruits, like watermelon and pineapple/ orange (but those I was warned about)
    - chocolate: a little is fine, but too much and blah - it may be the lactose intolerance though

I had a really hard time at first with chicken and turkey but now its no problem, and I NEVER had a problem with nuts, pretzels, popcorn, cereals, cookies, candies, etc. (you know that good stuff lol) Bread is ucky sometimes but I was told that is because I dont really eat bread so when I have it I feel the extra starchiness/ carbness of it.

However everyone is different and what bothers one person may not bother another and what bothers you or doesnt at first may later. For example I didnt have a problem with dairy until almost a year after my surgery, then I started noticing it, so it may not even really be tied to the surgery itself.
  • kglowins
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I was just curious.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am about 7 months out, I haven't eaten nuts or popcorn, but I do eat red meat and I have had no problems at all. Nothing I have eaten has really given me any trouble to be honest. I haven't ventured out and had any carbs like bread or pasta or rice, nor have I had any sweets. I stick to protein and veggies and a little fruit and I am doing great!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am almost 4 months out. I have not had problems with anything (salad, red meat, lactose, nuts, popcorn). I do not eat bread, rice, potatoes, and most things with sugar, although I do have th occasional "mini" size piece of candy or a few thin mints. Mostly I eat protein and veggies. I am not big on fruit-- and at this point, I do not really have the room anyway.
  • kglowins
    Options
    Oh, that's great! I'm with you I haven't really had anything that didn't sit well. I know I'm only one month out and that could change. I really hope red meat won't be an issue. I'd like to be like you and stay away from the breads and sweets. However, I would like to try nuts and popcorn again.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 3 years out now and I really don't have issues with any food. Here's what I've found:

- Really spicy and black coffee give me a tummy ache. easy to avoid really spicy and I add a little cream to my coffee now
    - Can eat any meat as long as it's moist or has a broth/gravy. Ground meat still processes better.
    - If any food is too dry I still get a stuck feeling
    - Most tomato based sauces give me bed heartburn. Again most, not all and Malox fixes it.
    - Nuts, popcorn, things that are harder I waited about 6 months to try. No problems with any of it & popcorn is my snack of choice
    - Lettuce is still very filling so always eat the protein first when having a salad.
    - All other veggies are fine, but I try and avoid the startchy ones (corn, potato, etc.) because it's healthier
    - Carbonation really bothers my tummy. My favorite flavored water, zero calories, zero sodium is Sparkling Ice and is carbonated. I shake and release until the carbonation is gone.

I think that's it. This far out there are less issues than there was at 6 months, 9 months, a year. It does get easier.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am 8 months post-op and have tried just about everything. I can tolerate just about anything in very small quantities and started exploring different things between 4 & 6 months out. I buy whole grain bread, pasta, and rice for my boyfriend and will take a bite every now and then while cooking. I usually avoid them like the plague because they take up so much room with just one bite. Red meat is not a problem at all, I enjoy the occasional sirloin. When traveling and I didn't appropriately prepare, I will grab fresh fruit, almonds, or beef jerky from a convenience store. At 6 months out, I tried popcord and had no problems digesting. I typically don't have heart burn problems as long as I take my pills on time. I never had heart burn before surgery, but now I MUST take the prilosec prescribed to me. Carbonation is still a hard one to deal with. I gave up Diet Dr Pepper when I had the surgery and tried it a few months ago. It expands way too much! So I'll have a little every now and then after flattening it up a bit. I still like the taste of DDP, but even a small amount makes me feel heavy.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed reading the posts on this thread about different types of foods and when individuals could tolerate them if they could at all. Thanks for posting everyone. ::flowerforyou:
  • jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I am a year and 6 months out. I followed all the doctors orders as far as when to add food and honestly was scared to death to add new foods hate throwing up but I did fine. Just a few things.
    1) for me plan water, black coffee chicken and steak were a struggle. I was afraid I would never be able to drink plain water again and before I loved it! It tasted metallic now it is fine. I struggled with any kind of chicken for a year even now fish is the best for me. Still can't do black coffee too harsh.
    2) cannot drink and eat still do the 30 min to 45 min depending on what I ate it is the only thing that makes me throw up so learned my lesson. Watch the clock every meal.
    3) I am not sure but some ice cream and high sugar frozen desserts make me sick just feel yucky. Do better with no sugar Popsicles or half of a skinny cow the full size is much
    4) popcorn is my go to treat have to be careful brand and portion I feel normal when I eat it weird I can not eat a full size meal of anything popcorn definitely a slider food so aware of it
    5) beer champagne cannot do it it is the bubbles alcohol in General have to be careful it hits me hard and fast so basically I try to nurse one drink
    6) rice no can do bread depends on the type but I don't keep any in the house will have half a piece of wheat toast from time to time but it makes me eat less eggs soooo just skip it.

Good luck interesting post I will say listen to your body your taste will change from a month out to a year from now. I still don't care for steak just doesn't feel good. I have also learned I eat to about 80% full most of the time I always think I am one bite away from miserable I do not like the feeling of been full and my stomach stretching

Take it one day at a time
  • kglowins
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments! It's interesting to see how different the process is for everyone. Just curious those of you who tried something carbonated after surgery...were your doctors okay with that or did you try it just to see what would happen (not judging just curious)?
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My doctor would definitely not have been okay with my decision to have a carbonated beverage. He told me that I wouldn't be able to drink anything carbonated for the rest of my life. So I did exactly what he told me not to do and boy was it painful. I could literally feel the bubbles trying to expand my stomach and my stomach was not having it! I'd recommend avoiding it as long as you can possibly hold out. As I said before, I'll have a DDP from time to time (one every few weeks) BUT only after it is flat.
  • kglowins
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I do miss Diet Dr. Pepper. But not enough to make myself miserable.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 months out and can eat anything I care to at this point. Popcorn, fruit skins, steak, all are fine. It took me a while to tolerate rice, and even now, I keep it to just a few bites. I've not gone back to soda, and don't intend to but occasionally enjoy a Guinness. The carbonation does not bother me, but Guinness is the most lightly carbonated beer there is, apparently. Used to love red wine, but nowadays white is easier on my tummy, (red is known to kick up acid anyway) so I tend to favor white on the rare occasions when I drink wine.
  • jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My doc was not okay either. I gave up diet coke and will not go back. Funny different carbonation is well different I can drink sparkling water which I did ask the doc about and he said from time to time okay but not to make it a habit. I also asked him if it stretches the stomach he said no you burp the bubbles out.
  • kglowins
    Options
    I am so looking forward to trying nuts, popcorn, and red meat. Six months can't get here fast enough. :smile:
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can eat cashews if I chew them really well and keep the portion small.

Red meat is the devil! I can eat a meatball, but not meatloaf.... roasts can be bad too. Hamburgers grilled outdoors made me feel like I swallowed razor blades and thumbtacks, so I may never try those again.

Cabbage shredded is not bad, beets are awesome pickled or baked, corn, lettuce and tomatoes are regrettable feeling.

Pickles of all types are delicious and feel pretty good.

Still haven't been brave enough to try popcorn!

Surgery was 2/20
  • Dragonslady67
    Options
    little over 3 months out and I tolerate pretty much anything except pork. For whatever reason, the sleeve does not like pork (even bacon) at all. Veggies are ok, I usually stick to apples, pears, strawberries and grapes as far as fruit goes. Sleeve handles steak just fine, chicken, turkey and shrimp. Have had 1/2 slice of Sara Lee Delightful wheat bread toasted but only once or twice. I will roast a sweet potato with yukon golds because they are very nutrient dense. Tolerate milk and milk products fine. I have found Walden Farms and they make sugar free, calorie free chocolate syrup, pancake syrup and dressings that are not too bad. Protein first, as it is for everyone else, but I will have some fruits and vegetables for fiber, micronutrients, and flavor.