Rock n' Roll races

2»

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    I recently ran the RnRRaleigh marathon and was extremely disappointed that they had not one, but TWO 3-mile stretches with no aid stations. THere was a med station, but they had only ice and no sports drinks or water to hand out. It was 80 degrees, no shade in these sections, and no aid. I did love the rest of the race, but I disliked miles 11-14 and then 14-17!!!!

(some marathoners on the facebook page defended this, saying there was plenty of water and you just had to "stop and fill your bottles.) 1) Some people don't bring bottles on the course because of the added weight. 2)When you are trying to BQ, stopping to fill your water bottles can be the deal breaker...
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    for the most part if you want to "RACE" then the RnR and Disney races are not the best atmosphere for that. if you're looking for a running experience while on a vacation then i think they have some value.

yes the prices are out to lunch but it seems like the price of alot of things is like that these days. i'm paying $200 to run a relay leg in an ultra marathon through the mountains this summer but it's about more than just the race. it's about having a great time with some close friends and experiencing something new.

i can also go run an MEC (think REI in the States) sponsored 5/10/15k race every month for $15 or a series of five Wednesday night bare bones 5-8km trail races for $25 for the entire series. so in the long run the per race price averages itself out imo.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    OK here's my rant on RNR:

As other people have said on this thread, RNR epitomizes the mega-race and everything that is wrong with new racing.

I've done RNR Vegas twice and will be doing RNR San Diego this year. I'm not a huge fan of RNR. When you have 30,000+ runners you're bound to run into logistical issues, like running out of water, poor hygiene in dispensing of water, and a long long walk through the finish chute to get to water, food, medical, Mylar and other support. With 30 or more race corrals, anyone who runs slower than a sub-2 half can expect to wait 30-60 min to cross the start line.

The Vegas race particularly kills me, as Vegas is not the right venue for HM and it was specifically chosen to make money. It's a Sunday night race and you MUST pick up your bib on Saturday, which I've heard rumors is something Competitor Group worked out with the Vegas Convention & Visitors Bureau to ensure 30,000 runners have to stay Saturday night in Vegas. The Strip is only 4 miles, so you end up running through the seediest part of downtown Vegas and the poorly lit, pothole-laden neighborhoods of locals who don't like the race and don't want you there. Competitor Group makes millions from this one race. It left such a bad taste in my mouth for RNR in general.

I'm running SD RNR as a relay here in a few weeks (on a friend's request for her first race), and it was $220 for early bird registration. To run 6.55 miles each.

All the above notwithstanding, if you are either running for fun or are super-elite and start at the front, and you like the grand spectacle running with 30,000 friends, and the super-high race entry isn't an issue for you; OR if you can do it as a member of a fundraising organization, go for it. But maybe bring your own water.
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 710 Member
    I am shocked at the prices listed for some RNRs. Just signed up for my 3rd year doing the STL RNR early bird for $80. Ended up being almost $90 with fees but still. I do enjoy the atmosphere and have not had any problems that other have mentioned at other RNRs.

I also signed up for the Cowbell Marathon in St. Charles, Missouri (my hometown 20 minutes from STL) and early bird was $80 as well. This is their 2nd year for the marathon and it is a very flat course.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    OK here's my rant on RNR:

As other people have said on this thread, RNR epitomizes the mega-race and everything that is wrong with new racing.

I've done RNR Vegas twice and will be doing RNR San Diego this year. I'm not a huge fan of RNR. When you have 30,000+ runners you're bound to run into logistical issues, like running out of water, poor hygiene in dispensing of water, and a long long walk through the finish chute to get to water, food, medical, Mylar and other support. With 30 or more race corrals, anyone who runs slower than a sub-2 half can expect to wait 30-60 min to cross the start line.

The Vegas race particularly kills me, as Vegas is not the right venue for HM and it was specifically chosen to make money. It's a Sunday night race and you MUST pick up your bib on Saturday, which I've heard rumors is something Competitor Group worked out with the Vegas Convention & Visitors Bureau to ensure 30,000 runners have to stay Saturday night in Vegas. The Strip is only 4 miles, so you end up running through the seediest part of downtown Vegas and the poorly lit, pothole-laden neighborhoods of locals who don't like the race and don't want you there. Competitor Group makes millions from this one race. It left such a bad taste in my mouth for RNR in general.

I'm running SD RNR as a relay here in a few weeks (on a friend's request for her first race), and it was $220 for early bird registration. To run 6.55 miles each.

All the above notwithstanding, if you are either running for fun or are super-elite and start at the front, and you like the grand spectacle running with 30,000 friends, and the super-high race entry isn't an issue for you; OR if you can do it as a member of a fundraising organization, go for it. But maybe bring your own water.
    Actually they did offer race day pick up you just had to shell out about 40 bucks for it.