Check in May 15th, 2014

Options
tishtash77
tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
Morning all, I am cursing Canada once more today. My favourite times of the year are spring and fall, crisp, just warm enough, lovely. I feel more motivated when the weather is not crazy one way or the other too. We had a 7 month winter here in Quebec which finally ended the last week of April. I got 2 weeks of Spring and now we are hitting 27 here today and into Summer. All better than winter of course, but I never thought I would miss UK weather!!!!

Just had a small bowl of left over chili for brekky hehe. Usually I keep it light but was hungry, went to bed thinking of food, and woke up thinking still. So how is everyone, and what season is your favourite and why? I know not exactly weight related but nice to get to know you all :)

Replies

• Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Good morning Tish and Y'all!!!! I hope everyone slept well and is having a great morning. I think this is a great topic. Weather effects mood and mood effects weight loss. My fav season is autumn, but I love them all! Just not a fan of humidity no matter what time of year it is. It could be 100 and dry - I'm great. Or it could be 0 and dry -I'm great. We live in Ohio, but my husband would like to move south. I tell him that I NEED the four distinct seasons. I wouldn't do well in places where the year just all blends together.
    I love the earthy smell of autumn, I love the rust colors, I love the crisp snaps of the leaves and twigs as we walk apon them. I love canning all the fruits and veggies after harvest.
    I love the first snow of winter, to go outside a lay on the ground as its snowing at night- it makes you feel one with the universe, like you're floating in space. The vast whiteness of everything after a heavy snowfall. The beauty after a ice storm, when the suns shining and makes it look like a chrystal city!
    I love the budding life of spring. To hear the birds and critters all twitterpaited! To see the world waking up and coming to life!
    I love the lushness of summer, when everything is in full bloom.
    Yup, I need all four seasons!
    Blessings :flowerforyou:
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Good morning Tish and Y'all!!!! I hope everyone slept well and is having a great morning. I think this is a great topic. Weather effects mood and mood effects weight loss. My fav season is autumn, but I love them all! Just not a fan of humidity no matter what time of year it is. It could be 100 and dry - I'm great. Or it could be 0 and dry -I'm great. We live in Ohio, but my husband would like to move south. I tell him that I NEED the four distinct seasons. I wouldn't do well in places where the year just all blends together.
    I love the earthy smell of autumn, I love the rust colors, I love the crisp snaps of the leaves and twigs as we walk apon them. I love canning all the fruits and veggies after harvest.
    I love the first snow of winter, to go outside a lay on the ground as its snowing at night- it makes you feel one with the universe, like you're floating in space. The vast whiteness of everything after a heavy snowfall. The beauty after a ice storm, when the suns shining and makes it look like a chrystal city!
    I love the budding life of spring. To hear the birds and critters all twitterpaited! To see the world waking up and coming to life!
    I love the lushness of summer, when everything is in full bloom.
    Yup, I need all four seasons!
    Blessings :flowerforyou:

Sandy, you are pure joy and poetry!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I absolutely LOVE fall. Not so much where I live, because we don't really have a fall in Austin, TX. We have Summer and fall like temps for a couple months but that is it. We do not get the gorgeous change of colors, or brisk mornings and warm days and afternoons. I spent most my life in Washington State and OMG, do I EVER miss the 4 seasons. Fall being the biggest one of them all. We joke all the time about how when it starts getting hot down here I have Reverse SAD. Most people get depressed in Winter due to lack of sun, etc. I get depressed when it starts warming up. The 6 months of pure summer are horrid here. Humidity is terrible. I can't do my hair because it gets frizzy. I can't breathe because I have asthma. You walk outside and it is like you are stuck in a stream shower. Last week was really bad. It was 90 with 95% humidity for 3 days! Today is nice though. 80 and low humidity. You take days like this and treat them as gold!

I miss the PNW terribly. Beautiful weather!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Good morning! Tish, I feel your pain! We had an extra long winter in Maine too, and at the rate we're going, the lake won't be swimmable until July! I love all four seasons, but right now summer is my absolute favorite. Summer means my screenhouse studio is on the front deck and I can paint, throw pottery, or make paper mache puppets in a breeze off the lake. I can watch the loons, eagles, and herons searching for fish. I can go for long , long swims along the shoreline.

This morning I am in a bit of a funk. I ate WAY too much yesterday (mostly salad, but also a ham and ~~Swiss sandwich), and because of this allergic rash, I haven't been in the pool to exercise it off. I cannot WAIT to be at a weight that will get me off these crutches so I can do more exercise out of the pool! Pre-Still's and 150 pounds ago, I used to love to hike in the mountains, go for long walks and bike rides, or cross country ski, or any other good, sweaty activity. I am hoping to reclaim my athlete!!!

Today is a busy day of stuff, not much time to think about food, so I will fall back on some of the" habit" meals I've developed--egg white omelette wrap for breakfast, lean cuisine honestly good fish for lunch, salad and protein for dinner. Fruit and yoghurt for snacks. It's wonderful to have a meal plan fallback and the food in the fridge to support it for those days when I most need it.
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I absolutely LOVE fall. Not so much where I live, because we don't really have a fall in Austin, TX. We have Summer and fall like temps for a couple months but that is it. We do not get the gorgeous change of colors, or brisk mornings and warm days and afternoons. I spent most my life in Washington State and OMG, do I EVER miss the 4 seasons. Fall being the biggest one of them all. We joke all the time about how when it starts getting hot down here I have Reverse SAD. Most people get depressed in Winter due to lack of sun, etc. I get depressed when it starts warming up. The 6 months of pure summer are horrid here. Humidity is terrible. I can't do my hair because it gets frizzy. I can't breathe because I have asthma. You walk outside and it is like you are stuck in a stream shower. Last week was really bad. It was 90 with 95% humidity for 3 days! Today is nice though. 80 and low humidity. You take days like this and treat them as gold!

I'm the same way! I'm originally from New York, where we had great falls! Now I live in Georgia, and the heat/humidity in the summer is horrible. I generally say winter's my favorite season now simply because that's the only time it ever gets sort of cool. Generally my favorite weather is cool enough to put on a sweatshirt or light jacket. I like being able to go outside without sweating or having to bundle up.

Also, I've been doing well the past few days. Tracked all my food and never went over (although it was close yesterday). The past two days I've done my exercise in the morning, as I discovered on Tuesday that if I try to put it off until the afternoon, there's a good chance I'll just not do it.

I'm going out to eat this afternoon with my boyfriend's mother, brother, and cousin (though not him because he's working, which is weird for me even though we've been dating about 5 years). I already looked up where we're going, and I'm excited about finding food that's still relatively healthy.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

I am SO exhausted and I have been for days. I'm hoping it's just a, well, monthly issue. I'm trying to up my protein to see if that helps. I figured I would be a little more tired since I started walking home from work, but I was hoping I would start feeling a bit more energized. I'm just impatient, I guess.

I went to the gym yesterday! I did interval training on a treadmill after walking there from work (ooh boy it doesn't take much to get my heart rate up to the max -- 4mph and a 4-5 incline -- no wonder I have had issues with couch to 5k). I did some strength training (just arms/chest/back) after that and I'm feeling it this morning. I signed up to get a fitness assessment/workout plan, so I'm looking forward to that since I have no idea what I'm doing :tongue:

Spring is definitely my favorite season. Everything coming back to life, always some new flower blooming or tree blossoming, and the return of the sun! Spring is beautiful here in DC with the cherry blossoms and magnolias, My profile picture is from the engagement session with my fiance in a garden with a bunch of saucer magnolias. I was soooo happy that morning!

I'm definitely affected by the weather -- even a couple of rainy days gets me feeling a bit down. My parents bought me a sunlamp this winter and it helped get me through the long winter (and recover from a terrible depression).
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I live near Seattle and LOVE the PNW weather - I would much rather walk in the rain than have it be too hot. Yesterday was 85 and my son (a true NW boy) said -"I hate it when it is this hot - I would rather have the rain!" Keep in mind - most people here don't have air conditioning and aren't used to hot weather (or snow for that matter!)

The weather does affect my exercise - On hot days - I try to walk in the early, early morning and garden in the late afternoon. I like the longer days as I am an early riser and I don't like waking up in the dark!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Spring day!
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    KarenZen!!! I am in Maine too! And I am sooo sick of this cold weather. I am a "sand and palm tree girl living in a snow and pine tree world!" I have been wearing flip flops for 2 months now just pretending it is summer.

I love all the seasons, but for me it is easiest to get my exercise in during the summer when I can be in the pool with the kids and get all kinds of swimming exercise. We do a lot more family activities that include lots of walking during the summer too so its kind of hidden exercise.

Hope everyone has a good day!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    KarenZen!!! I am in Maine too! And I am sooo sick of this cold weather. I am a "sand and palm tree girl living in a snow and pine tree world!" I have been wearing flip flops for 2 months now just pretending it is summer.

I love all the seasons, but for me it is easiest to get my exercise in during the summer when I can be in the pool with the kids and get all kinds of swimming exercise. We do a lot more family activities that include lots of walking during the summer too so its kind of hidden exercise.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hahahahaaa! I have been wearing flip flops too! My husband just rolls his eyes.

At least we're finally getting buds on the trees. And my daffodils started blooming. But I'd like m e to be able to turn off the heat!!!
  • monmonof3
    monmonof3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I live near Seattle and LOVE the PNW weather - I would much rather walk in the rain than have it be too hot. Yesterday was 85 and my son (a true NW boy) said -"I hate it when it is this hot - I would rather have the rain!" Keep in mind - most people here don't have air conditioning and aren't used to hot weather (or snow for that matter!)

The weather does affect my exercise - On hot days - I try to walk in the early, early morning and garden in the late afternoon. I like the longer days as I am an early riser and I don't like waking up in the dark!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Spring day!
    Please don't let people know how GREAT the weather is here in the PNW in the summer. We need to keep it our little secret! LOL I love the summer here. Although it has been warm for the last couple of days, it will cool down tomorrow to perfect weather for gardening and enjoying the outside. I love summer in the PNW. Just wish it would last longer.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I hate winter.. I mean really hate it.. and this one was way too long. My favorite season is fall and I love spring and summer though I absolutely detest humidity and feel like I can't breathe. I love the fact it doesn't rain over much here in Illinois and we get lots of blue sky even in winter.

But oh to live in a year round temperate climate where we could walk the dogs and ride our bikes every day of the year!
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. There are parts of each season that I really like and I don't think I have an absolute favorite. I like winter but was very glad to see it go this year. I enjoy summer as long as the humidity doesn't get too horrible which unfortunately it usually does here in St. Louis. I'm really hoping we don't have temperatures like we did a couple summers ago. Between the heat and humidity then, you couldn't go outside at all, not even late at night without having the air knocked out of you. I do know though, that I could never live somewhere that didn't have all four seasons. I enjoy the changing of the seasons too much.

Because of my busy week, today turned into cleaning the house day. At the moment, I'm about halfway done but had to take a break. I do believe I'm going to have to get restarted though or this break will turn into I'm done for the day and I can't have that. I'm hoping to get a little walk in here in a bit between rainstorms.

Last night I was oh so depressed but I did real good getting through it without eating all the stuff I shouldn't. I fixed myself a protein shake instead of the ice cream I wanted. It all started when I decided to look up my BMI (remind me I never want to do that again). I know pre-surgery eight years ago my BMI was like 85.8 so I wanted to see where I am now that I'm again more than 200 pounds down from my highest weight. My BMI was 49.3 which wasn't really the depressing part. That came when I went to look and see where that put me as far as overweight/obese/etc. Do you know that I just now fell to extremely morbidly obese from super morbidly obese? My God, I've lost 200 pounds and I'm still considered extremely morbidly obese.....not just morbidly obese but extremely. So depressing but I've got to pick my head up high and keep moving and remember I HAVE lost 200 pounds.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Last night I was oh so depressed but I did real good getting through it without eating all the stuff I shouldn't. I fixed myself a protein shake instead of the ice cream I wanted. It all started when I decided to look up my BMI (remind me I never want to do that again). I know pre-surgery eight years ago my BMI was like 85.8 so I wanted to see where I am now that I'm again more than 200 pounds down from my highest weight. My BMI was 49.3 which wasn't really the depressing part. That came when I went to look and see where that put me as far as overweight/obese/etc. Do you know that I just now fell to extremely morbidly obese from super morbidly obese? My God, I've lost 200 pounds and I'm still considered extremely morbidly obese.....not just morbidly obese but extremely. So depressing but I've got to pick my head up high and keep moving and remember I HAVE lost 200 pounds.

What I would be saying is I HAVE LOST 200 POUNDS! Thats an amazing change. You mays till have a long way to go but your bmi has drooped by nearly half. Instead of being the person you might have been, ignoring your bmi, doing nothing about it being unaware of what it meant - your taking it head on. I can only imagine what it means to come how far you have and still know how much more you have to go, but focus on where you have come from because that is far. The BMI is depressing, I don't find my 48 much nicer, but I rather know it then not. I can't succeed without being honest with myself and part of that is knowing. I also know I will, in time, watch that number go down. One day I wont be defined as morbidly obese. The only way I can do that is if i do something about it.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I like cooler temperatures over the heat, spring and fall are my favorite times. I live in CA so I am blessed with nice weather (could do without the heat and the drought at the moment), though If I was to move I would move further north up CA then further south. Thats also why I workout in the evening.

My day has been fairly good. Got up on time and had a large late breakfast. I was too distracted with work to get through yoga so It will have to be another walk tonight (but I was going to do that anyways). I just don't think yoga will be my exercise long term. had a nice lunch. Didn't want to cook so tried a mini California Pizza Kitchen pizza, not bad for 400 calories, they could help when I have cravings. Along with a nice blackberry salad.

Well back to work...
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks RatPat. You're right and I really try to remember that. It's so easy to focus on how far I have to go that sometimes I forget how far I've come
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Let's just throw away our BMI's!!! and our scales! Seriously! BMI is the worst measurement--it doesn't take into account frame size or muscle mass, so if you've got a large frame and are athletic , you'll probably be classified obese even if you aren't. The other night I watched one of those 600 pound person shows on TLC, and this one woman was only 75 pounds more than me at one point, but her body was so much more fat than muscle that she was twice my size.

I know we need these numbers, but to consider them absolutes rather than guidelines is self-defeating. I'm really tired of the scale dictating my mood and my sense of self! OKAY, RANT OVER.

Wow, today was such a pissy day for me. I knew I needed to get to the pool to shake off the blahs, but I had to bribe myself with an ice cream to get there. Best part of calorie counting--I had plenty of calories left to cover it. Although I try to avoid sugar, sometimes it's what I want and nothing else will do. Tomorrow will be early morning Tai Chi which should set me up for a great day.

We're halfway through May--look at how much we've all accomplished in such a short time! Woooohoooo!
  • debunny34
    debunny34 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in before I crash to bed :) I have been playing catch up on the forums this evening. I really need to get on the computer earlier than midnight since it takes me so long to catch up. I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the night.