Tatoos

Options
amybgj
amybgj Posts: 1 Member
Hi there! I'm wondering if any if you have medical alert tatoos? I'm planning to do this instead of wearing the bracelet and am looking for some design ideas! Thanks in advance!
Amy

Replies

• tmlandgraf
    tmlandgraf Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    While I do have several tattoos, they aren't medical alert related. I have actually never heard of a medical alert tattoo, but it makes sense that there would be some floating around out there. Most tattoo artists would be willing to design one for you, so it may be worth contacting a few to see what they come up with. I hope you are able to find a design you like and are happy with the outcome.
  • jianop
    jianop Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've thought about getting one as well. Or the words diabetic or type one diabetic on my wrist. Don't think I would get the actual symbol but something along those lines. If you google diabetic tattoos a ton come up. Post a pic if you get one!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I had a friend (who is now passed) that had Type One tattooed on one wrist and Diabetic on the other...in very nice scroll writing.....

I have never wanted a tattoo or thought about getting one but I thought about getting one like that, although never in fancy writing or in two spots....my issue is I do not know if it would be noticed or taken seriously and I would not want to do it for no reason.....
  • peaceandak47
    peaceandak47 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a few tattoos and thought about getting a medical alert tattoo on my wrist but I spoke with my friend that is an EMT and she said that in an emergency situation they check for IDs and not tattoos so much.
  • curlergal14
    curlergal14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I actually rather recently (December) got a tattoo that says "Diabetic" on my left wrist. Big enough to be legible but in a cute script. My bracelets were always getting scratched so they were illegible or driving me crazy. So I decided something was better than having nothing!
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've thought of getting one similar to this: http://imgur.com/Ys5U7D2 since it looks simple and quite pretty, although I would want it smaller. Only problem is my mum doesn't really want me having a tattoo, saying it might look bad to future employees etc which I can fully understand. The funniest reason she gave though was, "A tattoo is for life!!" ...So is Type 1 mum!

Emma
  • curlergal14
    curlergal14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The funniest reason she gave though was, "A tattoo is for life!!" ...So is Type 1 mum!

Emma

My mom always told me the same thing, and if I'm ever not diabetic I'll happily go get a tattoo that puts a line straight through it.

This is what I have:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have multiple tattoos and actually hate jewelry. I've been type 1 for 35 years and have never worn medical ID. I put myself at risk and I know that. Then I saw this post the other day and I was telling my husband about it and not a few days later I see that my tattoo artist did a custom piece on another client (it's my profile pic). So I contacted him and we are working on a much smaller piece for me and something more feminine. I figure if it's on my inner right arm that it will get seen by medical personnel. They will see my arm to either look for ID, take blood pressure or to insert an IV. I figure something is better than nothing. As for tattoos are for life....so is diabetes and like someone else said...I'll be more than happy to get a cover up tat if there is ever a cure.
  • kristen__Leann
    kristen__Leann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am going to turn 21 in a few days and was diagnosed 11 years ago. Back in February I just got a medical alert tattoo on my left wrist with the outline of the symbol and type 1 then below it says diabetic. It's fairly good sized by feminine cursive script and I feel better about having it because many people have noticed it. I feel like it would be noticed by someone if anything bad ever happened.