Coffee

Options
I'm so happy to be drinking coffee again. Ok, it's still decaf but I can drink it black and strong, the way I've always done. There were a couple months after surgery when coffee tasted horrible. I think that might have been the most shocking, unsettling thing from this whole process. I'd read other people's posts that their taste buds changed after surgery and was prepared for that, but somehow I never dreamed that coffee would be a taste I couldn't tolerate. Now that I can drink it again, I feel like I'm really back at 100% in my new lifestyle. LOL

Replies

• Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    On behalf of all us coffee drinkers, good for you. I thought 'oh no decaf', but have also found it's not as bad as I thought. The only thing I couldn't stand was water. Now my taste for it has returned. Too bad I still love chocolate and crave crunchy snacks.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said I had to wait 6 months to have coffee. Exactly 6 months after my surgery date, I had a soy latte and it was so awesome. I swore never to break up with coffee again. That said, I had a regular coffee at work and it didn't taste that good to me. I hope I am not losing my taste for coffee!!! I generally use soy milk or soy creamer and there wasn't any at work so maybe that's why I didn't care for it. I do still mainly drink decaf but it's nice to have the option of having the real thing!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself to decaff prior to surgery, but went back to regular when the surgeon said I could. I am addicted and fully admit that, however, even after almost 3 years out, my tummy still doesn't like it black. I still like the taste of black coffee but will get an ache if it doesn't have at least a touch of creamer in it. Same thing with spicy foods now too. Anyway, prior to surgery, my morning coffee was always black. I saved the flavored creamers or the lattes for the occasional treat. Sigh! I build the creamer into my calories for the day now because I have to have my coffee.
  • AdrenilineDad
    Options
    My surgeon, did say to give up coffee but then my NUT same clinic sold me some chike protien...looking at it is has coffee? Think I will call them up on that ? Boy does that sure does look good.!
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it daily but now I drink it about 3 times a week. My nutritionist said coffee was ok as long as I'm meeting my water goals. So I don't feel so guilty about coffee I'll mix 8 ounces of regular black coffee into a 1/2 cup of extra protein milk and a scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder. Shake it all up, YUM! It's a latte
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    JxAAA that's a pretty cool idea for incorporating some protein into coffee consumption. I definitely broke the rules when it came to coffee. I never even tried decaf, because I don't drink coffee because I'm obsessed with the taste. I drink it for that beautiful morning kick it gives me! I'm 8 months post op and my surgeon now condones my morning cup. My apologies to all of those who followed the rules to a "T," but I had to do what worked for me and boy, oh boy, does coffee work for me!!!!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've been a coffee at work or when we go out for breakfast guy. As part of the (multiple months) pre-op diet, the nutritionist suggested giving up coffee as prep for when you *have* to give it up immediately post-surgery. I stopped at work relatively easily, all hot beverages for a while and now I am adding back hot tea. I was happily surprised that it wasn't a big deal for me.

Our regular Sunday breakfast place, on the other hand, I haven't been able to give it up yet, but not for caffeine reasons. They know us so well now, that the last two times we have been there, the waitress showed up with my coffee as we sat down, and I didn't turn it down! I'll try to catch her eye this Sunday and wave off the coffee!

I may give decaf a try, but if tea fills the bill, I may become a tea drinker instead.
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    I've been a coffee at work or when we go out for breakfast guy. As part of the (multiple months) pre-op diet, the nutritionist suggested giving up coffee as prep for when you *have* to give it up immediately post-surgery. I stopped at work relatively easily, all hot beverages for a while and now I am adding back hot tea. I was happily surprised that it wasn't a big deal for me.

Our regular Sunday breakfast place, on the other hand, I haven't been able to give it up yet, but not for caffeine reasons. They know us so well now, that the last two times we have been there, the waitress showed up with my coffee as we sat down, and I didn't turn it down! I'll try to catch her eye this Sunday and wave off the coffee!

I may give decaf a try, but if tea fills the bill, I may become a tea drinker instead.

Our Sunday morning, after church, breakfast place now knows that I am the 1/2 a cup of coffee and 1/2 an omlette girl! :laugh: Since we don't drink while we eat, I don't get a full cup because I won't drink it. And I can only get about a 1/2 an omlette in, so there's breakfast or lunch another day!
  • jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Love me some coffee. I took my doc advise and went to decaf about two weeks before the surgery. Glad I did as I had such bad headaches I stayed off it for 6 months only drank decaf I am glad I did because I had such a hard time getting fluids in. I love my coffee though when I work am I also put in a cup of coffee with chikes and almond milk gets my protein in. My big change lately is trying to cut back on the skinny Vanilla lattes! At work can have Starbucks free tried to cut out but ..that didn't work. For a while I was addicted to the soy lattes but it has 30 more calories and don't know why. But gained weight when I drink soy! I am trying to cut the milk and use only a splash. When I log I see where my empty calories come from also carbs. For the longest time could not drink straight water had a very metallic taste and did not sit right in my stomach same with black coffee.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tried decaf coffee for the first time yesterday. I tried using the sugar free French vanilla creamer and it was awful. I am not a black coffee person. Any suggestions for an alternate creamer?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I tried decaf coffee for the first time yesterday. I tried using the sugar free French vanilla creamer and it was awful. I am not a black coffee person. Any suggestions for an alternate creamer?

I agree the sugar free is awful. I use soy creamer, I either get the Solk brand or Trader Joe's brand, and I use a little bit of the sugar free Torani syrups to give it some flavor.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I also wonder how vanilla almond milk would be...
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Our Sunday morning, after church, breakfast place now knows that I am the 1/2 a cup of coffee and 1/2 an omlette girl! :laugh: Since we don't drink while we eat, I don't get a full cup because I won't drink it. And I can only get about a 1/2 an omlette in, so there's breakfast or lunch another day!

I trust that they will "rename" me as I find a new routine when we go there. So far, it's been "spinach omelette, light feta, tomato slices instead of hash browns and no toast" guy for the past couple of weeks. I think I need to ask them to use 3 actual eggs, rather than their ladle of pre-blended for my omelette as I know the omelettes can vary in size quite a bit.
  • pawoodhull
    Options

If I'm going sugar free it's Italian Sweet Cream. As for decaff, if you have time to wean, mix the decaff with regular, adding a little more decaff untill you are fully decaff. You don't notice the change in taste then, because yes, decaff does taste different than regular. I tried vanilla almond milk and didn't like it at all.
  • pawoodhull
    Options

I trust that they will "rename" me as I find a new routine when we go there. So far, it's been "spinach omelette, light feta, tomato slices instead of hash browns and no toast" guy for the past couple of weeks. I think I need to ask them to use 3 actual eggs, rather than their ladle of pre-blended for my omelette as I know the omelettes can vary in size quite a bit.

Funny! My Greek onlette is much smaller than the Farmers omlette I used to get. They also know I do not get toast of any kind or potatoes. :smile: It's nice to go somewhere they know me and I don't have to explain myself all the time!
  • Syndigutez5
    Syndigutez5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love love coffee! However I haven't had a cup or sip for 3 months now. And I'm finding myself craving it. Not even decaf, I haven't checked with my Dr to see when it's ok to have some. I know they don't like you to have caffeine because it can dehydrate you. And I'm kinda scared to find out that you might no longer like or tolerate something you've always enjoyed.
  • koscar01
    koscar01 Posts: 13
    Options
    I did try to give up coffee and switch to decaf but it didn't last. The only thing that my taste buds changed was my Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla coffee. I went to DD every morning rain, sleet or snow. I've tried it many times since surgery and it still has a metallic taste. I am now using my Keurig and get Golden French toast. I use SF vanilla creamer, and sugar.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm trying to give up lattes, have switched to decaf at home in the morning, but I had to get one at Peets this afternoon, I was so sleepy at work after a particularly boring morning. I tried the almond milk and added half scoop of unflavored organic whey protein, and it was creamy and yummy ( I have been using Biochem and Source)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I love using Kroger carbmaster vanilla skim milk in coffee and Indian tea. Only 60 cals and 11g of protein
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is my "creamer" now, vanilla or chocolate, depending on my mood, I love it!