discouraged

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
I am finishing up week 9 of stronglifts and while I've enjoyed the program, I find myself often becoming frustrated and discouraged with my progress. My weight and inches have pretty much not done much as far as I can tell.

I'm curious about other results from women who are doing this program. Did you gain weight? Not lose any? How long did it take to notice results? Please give me SOME kind of feedback. Thanks!

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy to tell if you weight or inches have changed - have you been measuring yourself and keeping track of that?

What's your food look like as well?
  • llfretwell
    Options
    Well...I was on a "stay-off-the-scale" kick until week 7 of stronglifts, so I don't really know exactly what weight I started out at, but since week 7 I've lost half a pound, then gained that plus another half a pound back (as of this morning).

As far as my measurements, I've only lost about an inch from my waist.

I am continuously reading success stories from everyone and it bums me out a little.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hi! I took a look at your diary and I see a lot of cups and tablespoons... Could it be that you're eating more than you think? I know, weighing everything sucks, but accuracy is the first step. Eating a bit more than 1 cup of tomatoes is no big deal, but when it comes to butter and mayo calories add up veeery quickly and minor inaccuracies can make a difference.
  • sbarella
    Options
    Also, weight loss is not linear! Especially for ladies :smile: Pounds come and go, it's normal. It's the average trend that counts.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Dont say "only an inch".
    Thats a pretty good loss right there.

I didnt look at your diary but the other poster mentioned cups and tablespoons. So inaccurate unless its liquid. Food scales are cheap and itll help your logging. You might be eating more than you thinkand if youve only got a small deficit built in, using cups and such could be wiping that out.
  • sbarella
    Options
    Dont say "only an inch".

Also this! An inch is a lot! It's half a pant size!
    I have lost an inch too in the past two months and I'm really happy about it :)
    Obese people can drop pounds and inches like crazy, but when you have a few pounds to lose one inch or one pound is a lot.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started SL the last week of January and I haven't really seen any changes on the scale. I suck at taking measurements so I haven't really been able to track that well enough either.

I did take pictures though and have seen quite a change in my mid section and arms.... well actually everything. My but is perkier, my legs are thinner, my midsection more defined. So number wise, I haven't seen much, but everyone else around me is complementing me on losing more weight so that's a plus.

With that said, I have really cut down on my cardio and have been way more lenient on my calorie tracking. I try to make sure I am getting at least 105g of protein but often go over calories.

I agree with the pp about giving credit to the change you have seen. One inch down from your midsection is A LOT!!! Be proud!!! I also agree that in order to see change, we have to be really really mindful of what we are consuming. So measuring food with a scale is the only accurate way.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Dont say "only an inch".

Also this! An inch is a lot! It's half a pant size!
    I have lost an inch too in the past two months and I'm really happy about it :)
    Obese people can drop pounds and inches like crazy, but when you have a few pounds to lose one inch or one pound is a lot.

Agree.

If you have lost an inch around your waist, think of all the other places you don't measure. They have probably gone down as well.

And I also agree with the accurate logging. Losing weight is all about the diet. Exercise can help with how you look as you lose weight and add in some extra calories to the burn, but exercise alone won't produce significant loss results if the diet isn't on point. If you are eating at a small deficit, every gram matters and relaxed tracking can easily remove the deficit you think you are getting.

If you are looking at recomp, the process is very slow and you most likely won't see a massive **** in composition in two months. If you are looking for the loss, decide what is more important, losing the fat or increasing on your lifts. Eat at a slightly larger deficit to increase fat loss or eat at a small deficit to keep progressing on the lifts with a slow change in body composition.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Also, progress can't always be measured by tapes and scales. Are you stronger? More confident? Are the little things in day-to-day life easier (like carrying your child, climbing stairs, lugging in groceries)? Look at everything as a whole instead of the one thing that's going to cause you the most grief (also use a scale for measuring food).
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Also, progress can't always be measured by tapes and scales. Are you stronger? More confident? Are the little things in day-to-day life easier (like carrying your child, climbing stairs, lugging in groceries)? Look at everything as a whole instead of the one thing that's going to cause you the most grief (also use a scale for measuring food).

So much this!
    Lifting has made my runs faster.
    Lifting will make my upcoming move much easier since I won't be struggling with the boxes.
    Carrying all my groceries up 3 flights of stairs in one trip is now way easier thanks to lifting.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

So much this!
    Lifting has made my runs faster.
    Lifting will make my upcoming move much easier since I won't be struggling with the boxes.
    Carrying all my groceries up 3 flights of stairs in one trip is now way easier thanks to lifting.

qft
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    I added both more cardio and front squats about the same time and lost 2inches in my waist in 2 weeks. I can't pinpoint which is more responsible so I would give both the credit. I love SL but find that I want a faster recomp and need to do accessory and really love front squats as I can actually feel it in my abs. I also dislike pushing my abs out for back squats, so I feel holding them in for front squats offsets it. Just my own little mental thing. LOL.
  • llfretwell
    Options
    I am definitely stronger and I'm seeing a little definition from lifting, but I guess I'm just super impatient and crave QUICK results. I feel like everyone else who's following SL has amazing results right away.

Even though I know that the scale number isn't as important as the measurement numbers, I struggle because I'm 10 pounds heavier than I was last summer. I would LOVE to lose these 10 pounds in the process of SL. I just have to keep reminding myself to be patient, I guess..
  • sbarella
    Options
    I am definitely stronger and I'm seeing a little definition from lifting, but I guess I'm just super impatient and crave QUICK results. I feel like everyone else who's following SL has amazing results right away.

Even though I know that the scale number isn't as important as the measurement numbers, I struggle because I'm 10 pounds heavier than I was last summer. I would LOVE to lose these 10 pounds in the process of SL. I just have to keep reminding myself to be patient, I guess..

I'll tell you what. I'm 5 pounds heavier than I was last summer and the summer clothes I bought last year are baggy. :wink:
  • llfretwell
    Options

I'll tell you what. I'm 5 pounds heavier than I was last summer and the summer clothes I bought last year are baggy. :wink:

That makes me feel a little better ;)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I go through huge stretches (3-4 weeks) where my weight stays the same or I lose a little and my clothes don't change how they fit, etc. Then, I have a huge loss. It may just be water weight from when I have a splurge or whooshing, or whatever, but I really do feel that you mind is the biggest obstacle to weight loss. Persisting through the ups and downs and remaining consistent is so hard, but it's when you will start seeing the changes. Keep it up, and changes will happen. Take monthly pictures. Often, I don't see any changes in the mirror, but I can see it in the pictures. Hell, sometimes I take pictures and can't see the differences, but my friends say, see, your butt is perkier or your thighs are slimmer or whatever. And it's stuff I never saw, but I could see once they point it out.

I have a long way to go, but I am making progress:

May2014sidecomparison_zpsa2a6b7b5.jpg
  • llfretwell
    Options
    I go through huge stretches (3-4 weeks) where my weight stays the same or I lose a little and my clothes don't change how they fit, etc. Then, I have a huge loss. It may just be water weight from when I have a splurge or whooshing, or whatever, but I really do feel that you mind is the biggest obstacle to weight loss. Persisting through the ups and downs and remaining consistent is so hard, but it's when you will start seeing the changes. Keep it up, and changes will happen. Take monthly pictures. Often, I don't see any changes in the mirror, but I can see it in the pictures. Hell, sometimes I take pictures and can't see the differences, but my friends say, see, your butt is perkier or your thighs are slimmer or whatever. And it's stuff I never saw, but I could see once they point it out.

I have a long way to go, but I am making progress:

May2014sidecomparison_zpsa2a6b7b5.jpg

WOW!!!! AMAZING results!!! You look great!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you have little to lose, it will take longer to see big changes. But stick with it! There are so many benefits to lifting.

I started lifting when I was already at my goal weight (actually under) because I didn't like how I looked despite the number on the scale. I was running but my muscles were flabby. Started Stronglifts and saw increased muscle tone, but after a year put on 10 lbs. And believe me it wasn't ALL muscle. :sad: (some was though!) I had gotten lax with my diet, especially since I was hungrier from lifting and the pounds crept on. I also wasn't doing as much cardio so I didn't have as much wiggle room in my diet. After I started logging again and had a calorie deficit, the extra pounds and inches came back off, plus I have a much better shape than when I was only doing cardio.

My point is make sure to keep diligently logging those foods (accurately) and staying in a small deficit and you will see results, though it might be slower than you like.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't even look at your picture or your ticker before responding. My story probably isn't as applicable to you because you don't really have much to lose. However, I would suggest reassessing your goals and think about if the number on the scale is that important to you.

For reference, this is Staci of NerdFitness:

54b9d0ce-b8cb-4f82-b6b5-e2e17713d515_zpsc4e88b7e.jpg

She's 11lbs heavier in the picture on the right, but personally, I think she looks much better. She ate at a surplus and packed on muscle to look like that. You can read her story here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You may not have 9lbs left to lose. You may just want to do some recomposition. However, recomposition is a VERY slow process. So, I would suggest eating at a slight deficit or maybe even at maintenance, keep lifting, and try to ignore what the scale says. Take lots of progress photos (you may even want some without clothes if you're going to start looking for things like stomach definition), and just keep at it.

If you need goals to keep you motivated, focus on getting stronger and improving your lifts. It will come, but it'll take time.