OHP....Help!!

Options
martymum
martymum Posts: 413 Member
Hi everyone

I just started 5x5 with hubby on Monday. Today we did OHP and omfg I struggled!! I managed 3 sets then no more with 20kg (41lbs) bar. I could not keep my wrists straight and my left arm felt weak. At times it felt like my right arm was dragging my left arm up.

The bar is lighter and has 12kg added to make oly weight. My plan is to reduce to just our bar which is 8kg (18lb) and try from there.

Does anyone have any tips on form etc and is there any exercises I do to strengthen my wrists that won't interfere with 5x5 routine.

Thanks

martyxx

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    nobody says you have to start with 20kg! start where you can with good form and then build from there :)
    I'm sure your husband can recommend wrist strengthening exercises ;);)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Best reference points for form will come from Mark Rippetoe. He has many videos on youtube.

Start with what ever weight you can manage the 5x5 with. OHP is a tough lift for pretty much everyone and progression on it is often the slowest of all lifts.

Strengthening the wrist is more a function of strengthening the forearm. Much of the stability comes from the tendons that connect the arm to the hand. Working on grip strength will inherently improve forearm strength as well. If stability is an issue, I would suggest a wrist wrap. I have to wear one on my right wrist due to some tendon issues that reduce stability and cause compression in my joint. OHP isn't the most friendly lift to my wrist, but I think if you take the weight down to a manageable weight and then focus on keeping the proper wrist alignment you might be able to build the arm strength as you go.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    nobody says you have to start with 20kg! start where you can with good form and then build from there :)
    I'm sure your husband can recommend wrist strengthening exercises ;);)

My husband would agree with you :laugh: :drinker:
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So I started pretty weak with the OHP. I am currently only at 55lbs.

Yesterday I felt that I had my strongest lift and what I changed was how FIRMLY I grabbed the bar. I really gripped it like it was a life and death matter. I am not sure why, but I felt that it really helped bring strength to my lift.
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    There are 4 things I do that have helped me.

1. Grip on bar. Squeeze the daylights out of it.

2. Don't play around. You step in, squeeze the bar, do 5, step out. The longer you mess around breathing, thinking about it, holding it up in the air, the more energy you are exerting and that takes away from your next rep. Do them as fast as you can, in good form.

3. I ALWAYS use my full 3 minute recovery.

4. My weakest lifts are my first set or 2. If I clear my first 4 sets, I bump up 5lbs on the last set. I will struggle like crazy, but it has really helped me. I stalled at 70, Then did this the next time. Then the next time I did 4x5x75 1x5x80. Next workout was 4x5x80 and 1x5x85....Wed night I did 5x5x85. I didn't try for 90 as it was already a crummy workout as it was. I'm pretty sure I will be starting again at 85 on next workout.