Introductions and Whatnot

Options
strawmama
strawmama Posts: 623 Member
Title says it all!

I'm Michelle, I'm 33 and I live in GA. I began this weight-loss journey at 218 pounds two years ago. I am now down *almost* 40 pounds at 178ish. I still have 40 to go before I re-evaluate my goals.

Tell us about yourself!

Replies

• litchfieldd
    litchfieldd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm Dave, 39 and live in Nottingham, England. I'm a mature student, and will be starting a PhD soon that will involve some physical activity but still probably mostly a lot of sitting down. This plus portion size control is my problem!

I'm afraid I'm only really used to measurements in metric - so for my understanding and yours will convert and post in imperial too!! I'm pretty tall - about 183 cm (6ft1). Over the last 7-8 years I ballooned and yo-yo'd between about 100-105 kg (220 - 231 lbs) idepending how active I've been. But I've been full on with MFP for 65 days now and feel I'm really turning life around losing about 11 kg (24 lbs) up until the beginning of May. I need to loose about another 15 kg (33 lbs) I reckon.

I don't actually know how much I weight right now as ignoring the scales this month - "No Weigh in May"!! But in a couple of weeks time I will estimate what I was probably on 15 May and call that the starting weight for for this challenge. Hope that's OK!
  • NickiJones87
    NickiJones87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My name is Nicki, I'm 27 years old and live in North Carolina. I am a mom of two little girls, 6 and 2 years old. I am towards the beginning of my weight loss journey and I'm hoping a group like this will help keep me on track. My husband's birthday is August 17th and we'll be having a big party (the big 3-0) so I'd love to be down at least 15 pounds by then!
  • cjthurman
    cjthurman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm CJ and I've been heavy my entire life. I've tried many things over the years to take the weight off and actually got down into the 220s at one point (my lowest adult weight). However, I did that with extreme restriction - eating only vegetables - and I couldn't maintain it. I kept off some of the weight (389 - highest) but before I knew it, I was back to over 300 pounds. I decided this time I needed to overhaul everything and do a complete lifestyle change...hence my low carb approach now....and it seems to have triggered losing for me so I'm very excited to finally see the pounds start to come off. I will be eating this way for the rest of my life - and it's not bad! Steak and eggs, salads with real dressing, and strawberries with whipped cream ;) They only thing I miss are potatoes but once I reach goal, I might add them in once a week if they don't trigger a gain. But goal is a long, long way away so that's why I'm so happy to have challenges like this to help keep me accountable! Glad to be here and looking forward to an awesome 15 weeks of losing with you all.
  • mfrankrn
    mfrankrn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Melissa. I am 37 years old. I have an almost 6 year old daughter and a 4 year old son. I am an ICU RN and work 12 hour night shifts. I have been big my whole life and am committed to losing the weight this time. I am doing a paleo diet and am currently in ketosis.

I am 5'4". SW was 289 lbs. CW is 278.2 lbs. I made an initial goal of 100 lbs, but will reassess that when I get down. One of my biggest frustrations is that I have lymph edema in 1 leg after having lymph nodes removed. My weight has varied by 8 lbs a day, depending on how puffy I am.
  • wardbessie
    wardbessie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My name is Bessie, I am a wife and a mother of two wonderful children. I work in a university library and I am totally in love with my job. My goal is to lose 20 pounds by my 30th Birthday which is Sept. 2nd. I am hoping this group will aid me on my journey. My current weight is 202 pounds. My end goal is 150 but I want to lose it in over a year.
  • stephsmom93
    stephsmom93 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :D I'm steph'smom! lol i'm down 45 lbs since January 1, 2014. I still have an additional 30 lbs. to burn off to reach my goal. I've been struggling with weight for the last 20 yrs., after the birth of my daughter and serious health issues. Praying to have a healthier lifestyle to keep the weight under control in order to keep other health issues from surfacing and to finally stop the yo-yoing! MFP has been huge in seeing the overall picture of this journey. Just because I thought I was eating healthy didn't mean I was and I definitely saw that when I hit the submit button that very first day and saw what my sodium intake was. Yikes. I do weigh and measure all of my food but don't sweat it when I'm out. I log everything I eat and drink, the good, the bad, and the ugly! I only weigh in once a week, on Wednesdays. I try to walk every day for at least an hour and do a combo of low impact and step aerobics 5 times a week. Under doctor's orders I do not eat my calories back from exercise. Thanks for letting me part of this challenge with all of you. I'd love to be 15 pounds closer to my goal in August. See you all on the board! Hugs!
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello Group! I'm Rachael, I am 31 and living in Pennsylvania currently. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I have PCOS and that has made me very carb sensitive and carbs have always been my weakness. I spent most of my young life trying one diet after another and gave up in my mid 20's. So far I have been at this for a little over 100 days and feel great. I started out at just about 200lbs (probably more but I didn't actually weight myself when I started on an accurate scale.) I have lost 44 so far with a balance diet and this thing called exercise that I must have never heard of before because I never did it lol. The weight is coming off slower now so I do think 15lbs by August 15th is a reasonable and attainable goal for me. I look forward to getting to know everyone better and having fun with this challenge!
  • MyLifeMakeover
    MyLifeMakeover Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm Kendra and I'm 38 years old, a mother to two (7 year old daughter and 2 year old son). I was at my lowest adult weight when I first met my husband 15 years ago - since then, I have gradually crept up to 60 pounds heavier. I have lost about 12 pounds on my own the last few months, but it's slow going. I love the idea of this group! I'm excited to start back up with MyFitnessPal and create my own LifeMakeover for GOOD!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone! Happy to be starting a challenge to help with motivation.

I adhere to a lower carb diet typically. I have a heart condition and PCOS with a bit of insulin resistance, but my diet and exercise have been helping everything tremendously. My goal here is not only to adhere to my plan of eating, but to focus on achieving exercise-related goals for a healthy heart and more. I have about 40 more lbs to lose before I reevaluate goals.

I'm taking a cruise in late August with my husband, so I'm hoping I'll be at least 15lbs lighter before then. It'd certainly help with the confidence!
  • Robme123
    Robme123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi it's my first day embracing my fitness pal groups and excited by the challenge of losing 15 in 15 weeks. I know I will be motivated by the group. My ultimate goal is to lose 30 lbs get moving and active and gain some more physical strength. Be well
  • skygirll
    skygirll Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is my first challenge and I'm so excited to be doing this with you! I'm struggling with a bunch of auto immune diseases and going paleo to try to counter them. I've always been curvy and people wouldn't expect me to weigh as much as I do. (I have never told my husband how much I weigh so I'm not posting that online either!) I'm guessing I need to lose 30-40 to get into a healthy range. I really don't have a clue what my magic number is, but inflammation and fatigue have hit me hard recently. Losing weight can only help, right? my Dr. says "exercise!" to help with my medical issues, so I've been trying to walk and do weight machines a couple times a week - but as a gal who can tear a muscle by rolling over in bed (yep, that happened!) I'm prone to injuries that slow progress down. Trying to lose mostly by diet and a teeny tiny bit of strength training! I know this board is going to help me stay focused!
  • 105thistime
    Options
    Hi I'm Ana,
    22 year old female who has failed time and time again to lose about 10-15 lbs (more in trying to gain a good eating habit/life style and training my body to gain lean muscles). I've always found it hard to maintain a good way of going about being healthy and losing the weight, I've always tried to do it alone, so I decided to join some groups for help and to also hopefully help others.
    Nice to meet everyone, hope I can be of help to you all.
    Let's support each other and do this (:
    Thank you ~
  • Captain_Ali
    Captain_Ali Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ali, a 29 year old first year nursing student in New Zealand.
    Want to get down to my goal weight of 160 lbs/72 kg by Feb 1, 2015, which is a week before my 30th birthday.
    This gives me a goal of 1 lb per week which seems to be the best way to go if you want the changes to stick. I have a tendency to procrastinate so this group will be a great mini goal for me.
    Woohoo!
  • thisonewillwork
    thisonewillwork Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Gidday everyone, I'm Sue from Western Australia, nice to meet you all. I live on a sheep farm with my husband and 2 sons nearby. I thought I had 55 pounds to lose but have recently found out that my scales are faulty and that I actually have 60 pounds to lose - wheew! I have managed to lose only 2 pounds so far so I'm hoping that this challenge will really get me going on my journey. I have a back problem (scoliosis) that prevents vigorous physical activity but I have tried some weight lifting and was delighted that I can manage it. I'll be trying to exercise each day as part of this challenge and hoping :drinker: for success.
  • hpmoon
    hpmoon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am in the same boat as many of you. I am 30 pounds out of the healthy range. I have been large most of my life, although for about ten years I was smaller. I have issues of eating to stuff my emotions and this is where I need some help. The positive distractions and how to work through the feelings instead of using food and exercise. I am 42 so when the weight came back on and with some new health issues it is not coming off. I did realize how important logging everything and weighing is. I thought I could eyeball stuff pretty well or believe what they said on the box.:laugh: I want to be supportive of others because it feels good. Thanks for starting the group. I am also in GA.
  • pammycam
    pammycam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Pam and I am not new to weight loss... been on Weight Watchers more times than I can count and this was the most successful way for me to lose weight in the past losing over 133 pounds in 2.5 years in the late 90s. Sorry to say that I've gained that back and more but started WW again in Nov 2013 and have lost over 30 pounds since. Just finished reading, "It Starts with Food" so I am planning on starting the paleo approach shortly. Attended a lecture about scientific research backing this and am excited to give it a go! Wishing everyone success on their weight loss journey! :)
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you all! So glad to see all these replies :)

I want to say that this group will probably have no official structure. We have people from all over so times and measurements will be different. Also have some in other challenges and weekly weigh-ins are off limits (ahem, Dave).

So anyway. Officially this starts Monday (tomorrow).
    I'll start a thread for starting weights for those who wish to post, if not, no worries! I trust that you'll be honest with us and yourself :)
    Meanwhile, I'll be stepping on the scale today to see how bad my binge weekend set me back!

Good luck everyone and Happy Sunday!
  • SPFAFF19
    SPFAFF19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm Sarah, I'm 24 and I've been big all of my life. I can't remember a time where I wasn't conscious about my weight. I'm an emotional eater. I've tried different diets before but I always gave up because it was no fun.Then, about 50 days ago I stepped on the scale and almost feinted. I was 308lbs! I asked myself how I allowed this to happen. The answer was simple: I was lazy and unmotivated and a quitter. So that day I quit quitting. I started walking, I track everything I eat, and I won't buy things for the house that are easily edible (ie: frozen meals, sweets, chips, pop). If I'm hungry I have to MAKE something, which usually helps me determine if I'm actually hungry or not. I've lost 17lbs and counting! This is the longest I've ever stuck with a plan and I hope to stick with it the rest of my life! I want to join a challenge where I am held accountable and that's fun too! My 6 year anniversary with my boyfriend is coming up and I would love to shed more weight by that time and I think a challenge like this is perfect!
  • Tonjes34
    Tonjes34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Group,

I am 40. I am from Georgia. Looking forward to the challenge. Right now my goal is lose weight and become healthy. This challenge will make me stick to my goals.

Toni
  • SimoneNinan
    SimoneNinan Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm a 38yr old with three kids and 30lbs that won't go away... 5'3" and feeling the "I've tried everything" method. At first, nothing helped because i was battling an intestinal parasite that removed any ability to properly digest anything. Now that those things are out of my body (GROSS) I'm more dedicated than ever, yet not a pound has shed. Let's do this!