extra lifting after 5x5 sessions

Options
fireytiger
fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
I was just wondering, is it okay/recommended to do any other lifting after doing the 5x5 sessions? Like, if I wanted to do dips, or bicep curls or something? I feel like my arms are the weakest things ever and I want to build them up, but I don't want to overdo it with me ALSO doing stronglifts. Thoughts?

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I always do extra lifting after my 5x5 session, since I'm still at the low end of weights and it doesn't take very long to complete my 5x5 sets. I typically do arms after one session, legs after the next session, and abs after the third session and then repeat that pattern.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering, is it okay/recommended to do any other lifting after doing the 5x5 sessions? Like, if I wanted to do dips, or bicep curls or something? I feel like my arms are the weakest things ever and I want to build them up, but I don't want to overdo it with me ALSO doing stronglifts. Thoughts?

So I'm running ICF 5x5 (aka Blaha 5x5) which is essentially SL 5x5 with accessories.
    And most of the extra lifts with ICF are 3x8.
    I'd try around that range and see how you feel.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Accessory lifts after the 3 main lifts are fine and will help improve your other lifts. Many of us do them. I actually dropped one day of SL to have a pure accessory day since I was adding in some big lifts.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Accessory lifts after the 3 main lifts are fine and will help improve your other lifts. Many of us do them. I actually dropped one day of SL to have a pure accessory day since I was adding in some big lifts.

What'd you add?
    (Im just nosy lol)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I always do bicep, tricep, and stomach work.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was getting to the point where I was starting to stall out on 5x5 so I have dropped to 3x5 with accessory glute work (using the gorgeous glutes workout from Strong Curves).
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

What'd you add?
    (Im just nosy lol)

Typically:

Hip Thrusts, Landmine 180's, body weight dips, weighted incline situps, tricep pull overs, upright rows, death march (http://youtu.be/2o_lal2jpQc), Lat pull downs (single arm), incline bottoms up (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bottoms-up), pull ups, back extensions, and anything else that tickles my fancy.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I haven't chimed in yet (seriously? I'm slacking!)

Do accessories as you feel. Work on weaknesses or towards goal. Like I'm trying to get a bodyweight pull-up (still o.o slow road) so I do a good bit of back accessory and some biceps. assisted chin-ups, wide grip lat pulldown, t-bar rows, and I love 1 arm DB rows or incline DB rows! And I throw in some hammer curls too from time to time!

Some close grip bench press and cable crossovers for bench & press help. Or DB Flyes. And push-ups.

Like throwing in some calf raises (both seated and standing) from time to time.

Cable crunches, hanging leg raises, ab wheel rollouts for core work.

KB swings. These are just. Seriously. Do them right, they will be your best friends :)

And now I realize a lot fo those moves I haven't done in a while. I miss 'em xD
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I forgot that I always do calf raises, also.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    So glad I went a few pages through this group and found this thread as I've been thinking about adding exercises to 5x5 for a couple of now! Reading up about ICF 5x5 now. Does anyone know if there is an app for any of the extra workouts? I use the Stronglifts app and I find it really useful for tracking my sets and rest times.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    So glad I went a few pages through this group and found this thread as I've been thinking about adding exercises to 5x5 for a couple of now! Reading up about ICF 5x5 now. Does anyone know if there is an app for any of the extra workouts? I use the Stronglifts app and I find it really useful for tracking my sets and rest times.

Im fairly certain there isnt an app for ICF but I use a notebook anyway