Hello Everyone, I'm new here!

Options
Hi everyone, I will be starting a month of Crossfit tomorrow. I am looking to tone up, increase my strength and lose the last 20 lbs that's hanging around. I'm excited to try something new, different and out of my comfort zone! I was just wondering if anyone can offer and tips or advice for me.

Thanks!

Jenn

Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I just started CrossFit this past week and love it! I have no advice to give other than prepare to be sore :)
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to listen to your coaches when it comes to technique. Better to keep the weight lower and focus on form than trying to ramp it up too quickly and sacrifice form.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to CF and I already fall in love. I'm going 3 times per week and my goal is to lose weight and tone up my body.
    I feel sore every single time in different places, but it's good pain. I hear people can become addicted - now I know why.
    Even though I can hardly perform a pull up I hope I'll gain strength soon.

Good luck to all the newbies :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to listen to your coaches when it comes to technique. Better to keep the weight lower and focus on form than trying to ramp it up too quickly and sacrifice form.

This, and work on your mobility (if needed) to insure you can get proper form. Still a work in progress for me almost 1 year in.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    2.5 years in to crossfit and the main pointer I can give you is to listen to your coaches and your body. You'll know if something doesn't feel right, or if you just can't handle something. Take it easy and go at your own pace, focusing on getting everything done properly instead of faster or heavier. But most of all, ENJOY IT!! I started out training twice a week, quickly increased to 3-4 and am now training 8-9 times a week and love every second of it. You'll discover some amazing things about your mind and body strength :)
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    - ALWAYS put your technique/form first - the heavier weights will come later.
    - LISTEN to your coaches and your body - both will tell you important things.
    - You may gain weight at 1st, but if you're consistent w/ your nutrition, the results (a leaner you) will be seen.
    - Don't worry about running out and buying tons of gear ($$) Nanos, olympic lifting shoes; knee supports, etc. *you'll eventually get them, but they aren't needed to be a succesful crossfitter.
    - There will be the "Crossfit Haters" and you'll run into them - Just ignore them. *They don't know what they're missing !!!
    - Be prepared to start talking about nothing but Crossfit all the time and the "interesting" terms we all use :-)
    - Most importantly - Stick with it. Your body will feel sore, but you'll quickly notice that you taken your abilities to new heights. And you'll notice the changes in other activities you do.

I'm coming up on 2 years of crossfitting and it has been an amazing journey and transformation for me both physically and mentally. I am now in the best shape of my life and only look forward to reaching new heights. I have also met some amazing people through crossfit and they have become some of me closest friends.

Good Luck !!!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Welcome all!
  • mattcath1
    mattcath1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am about 2 months in . . . I am now wearing my "skinny Jeans" but I am still 15lbs heavier on the scale than the last time I fit into these pants. Don't watch the scale . . .I feel fitter, stronger, leaner than I ever have. I still want to lose those 15lbs, but know it will take time.
  • catkayne
    catkayne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also new. I joined Crossfit end of March. I love it so much!