Check In May 18, 2014

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Good Morning and Happy Sunday!

Here's a conversation starter.... what do you choose today?

(And just because I'm an English teacher... I choose to lose weight; yesterday, I chose to wear loose clothing.)

Replies

• Healthy4Sarah
    Healthy4Sarah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Today I choose to move. Due to a crazy week, I wasn't able to get in as much exercise last week and, believe it or not, I miss it. I feel stronger and healthier when I can work up a good sweat :) Never in my life would I have thought that I would feel that way. Since it's a beautiful sunshiny day here in Ohio, I hope to get in a long walk, if not the elliptical is waiting for me.

I hope everyone has a great day!
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Today I choose to ignore the 4 cheese mac n cheese with broccoli and sausage in the fridge and I choose to drink lots of water.

Good morning everyone, hope you are all having a lovely and focussed weekend. I had the above for dinner last night and I have zero guilt about it lol. I slimmed it down a little from the original recipe by using milk not cream and less sausage and more veg, but I didn't skimp on cheese. It was yummy, I didn't totally pig out I had 2 small portions. With the excercise I did yesterday i just stayed under my cals lol Had to skip anything sweet after dinner though but that was ok, I had a tea.

My son (5) is coming down with a cold and cough so not sure we will get outside like we planned today. I will get in a little exercise but taking a day off otherwise. He had me up at 6.45am sorting his room out with him to look for something! Only for him would I do that ;)
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Hubby has gone off on his motorcycle to a car show. I'm on my own with many chores and activities on the list.

I fell asleep again after posting the question about choosing and woke up with that word in my head. It's a pretty powerful word, isn't it? Reminds me of my friend Ken saying, "Try using COULD instead of SHOULD. " I should go to the gym. I could go to the gym. One is shame; the other is choice.

Well that's it then... Today I choose to choose!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I choose me today. The last few days I've been focused on outside events and people (funeral, nephews). I've let myself slip a little, not weighing my food like I should, having things I shouldn't, guestimating instead of knowing! I'm noticing the slipping before things have gotten out of hand this time. I'm choosing diligence -I will weigh and measure everything I put in my mouth, I will only eat healthy, nutritional foods!
    Blessings:flowerforyou:
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Well when I woke up this morning....I chose to get some form of exercise in and watch my caloric intake. Now that it is the end of the day in my neck of the woods....I did well on my caloric intake and I managed to do Level 1 of the 30 day Shred video with Jillian. I feel I made great choices today! lol
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Well when I woke up this morning....I chose to get some form of exercise in and watch my caloric intake. Now that it is the end of the day in my neck of the woods....I did well on my caloric intake and I managed to do Level 1 of the 30 day Shred video with Jillian. I feel I made great choices today! lol

Wow... you did Jillian's Shred? Awesome!!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Hey, while I'm on here, can we talk about worrying about what other people think/what they are saying about our fat? This is a recurrent theme, and I think such a shame to know that so many obese people are not doing things because of this fear. I'm almost 50, and to say that at this point in my life I don't give a Damn what others think or say about me is a huge understatement. Let the haters hate... it has nothing to do with me.

Recently I was at the gym, getting into the pool, and this little girl looked at me with terror and said to her mother, "Mom, that lady is BIG." Her mother shushed her and I ignored it, but I wish I had said something. Given the chance again, I would stop and say, "That's right, honey. I AM big. People
    come in all sizes and shapes, short and tall, big and small, isn't it wonderful?"

Most of the time, in fact very frequently, the comment I get at the gym is that I'm an amazing swimmer--very fluid and graceful. I'm not an idiot--I know I'm fat--but why does the word " Fat" have to be so powerful? Today I CHOOSE to take away its power!!!

I was blessed with a very small give a Sh#t meter in childhood, so I rarely let worries about what other people thought stop me from doing anything, but my sister, who is three years younger and also obese, has suffered terribly from others' comments. She wasted so many years of her life hiding and worrying, binging and purging, almost dying---and for what? The opinions of strangers? I always wished I could flip that switch in her to OFF. At the end of the day, at the end of your life, what do you want to remember... that you didn't go to the beach because you were worried what people would say about your jiggly thighs and stretch marks or that you went anyway and rode some crazy good waves?
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Once again Karen, I love and admire your attitude! Today I choose to stop picking at my daughter and husband's foods. If you look at my diary the last couple days you will see it. Blech. This is how I started to fall off last time. Husband hurt his back yesterday and kiddo woke up sick so our berry trip is off. Boo.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't have a strong "Give a *kitten*" meter when its about me and my weight holding me back. I've always done anything I've wanted regardless of weight (unless there is a weight limit - Zip lining). I was never teased or made fun of growing up, the only person to every call me - Fat - is myself. I have a very strong, outgoing personality. My "Give a *kitten*" meter goes off big time when I see others being disrespected. I've always been a champion of the underdogs. If I see people being made fun of I have no problem with confrontation. I address things head on and have made many people feel the guilt and shame they try to place on others. I have no problem getting in someones face and asking " Who do you think you are?!? " Most people who bully have low self-esteem themselves and don't have the guts to pick on a stronger personality. My husband says that being with me is like living with a split personality. That I'm joyous and fun till I become angry then I'm so scary, its hard for him to look at me. I will not put up with seeing someone being picked on, at that point I become the bully and aggressor. My husbands afraid that one of these days I'll confront the wrong person and will get hurt. I agree with him, but then as soon as another situation comes up I can't control myself- I'm in the middle of it before I know it.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Today I choose to go for a walk and do my arm exercises at the gym even though I'm feeling tired and kind of generally crappy.

For about as long as I can remember, my peers have been mean to me about my weight. I don't really remember a time when I wasn't the "fat kid," even when I objectively wasn't all that fat. I remember envying my best friend in SECOND GRADE because she was thinner than I was. I was normal-kid-chubby. That's all. And I still felt like an outsider because of my weight. I was teased all the way through school. I remember my senior year, someone drew a picture of the newspaper staff to put on t-shirts. He drew me twice the size of everyone else, despite the fact that I was only a size 14 at the time. I was so embarrassed that I didn't buy the shirt. At work just a few weeks ago, a coworker (who is not a thin man himself) came up to me unsolicited and started talking to me about his niece who lost a bunch of weight -- showing me pictures and everything -- telling me how she was "an even bigger girl than [me]." The other day, I was at the gym on a machine and this guy comes up and tells me I should be facing the other way. I point to the diagrams on the machine that clearly show that you can use it facing both ways. I'm 95% sure I wouldn't have gotten that comment were I not fat.

I try not to let things like that bother me, but it does. It makes me NOT want to lose weight because it makes me angry that if I lose weight, I become more "acceptable."
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Today I choose to go for a walk and do my arm exercises at the gym even though I'm feeling tired and kind of generally crappy.

For about as long as I can remember, my peers have been mean to me about my weight. I don't really remember a time when I wasn't the "fat kid," even when I objectively wasn't all that fat. I remember envying my best friend in SECOND GRADE because she was thinner than I was. I was normal-kid-chubby. That's all. And I still felt like an outsider because of my weight. I was teased all the way through school. I remember my senior year, someone drew a picture of the newspaper staff to put on t-shirts. He drew me twice the size of everyone else, despite the fact that I was only a size 14 at the time. I was so embarrassed that I didn't buy the shirt. At work just a few weeks ago, a coworker (who is not a thin man himself) came up to me unsolicited and started talking to me about his niece who lost a bunch of weight -- showing me pictures and everything -- telling me how she was "an even bigger girl than [me]." The other day, I was at the gym on a machine and this guy comes up and tells me I should be facing the other way. I point to the diagrams on the machine that clearly show that you can use it facing both ways. I'm 95% sure I wouldn't have gotten that comment were I not fat.

I try not to let things like that bother me, but it does. It makes me NOT want to lose weight because it makes me angry that if I lose weight, I become more "acceptable."

Norah, I totally hear you. I don't know why it's still open season on fat bullying, and I don't know how to change that either. A few weeks ago as I got in the pool, a guy swam up to me and gave me the "congratulations on starting your fitness routine" speech, then blathered on about how he lost 100 pounds by taking up swimming and by only eating the meals that his wife prepares for him. "You can do it too!" he says. "You'll feel so much better once you get into a regular swim routine."

Seriously?

That's not bullying, really, but his comments were based on assumptions and stereotypes. I very nicely explained that I swim almost daily and have for years, that I do aqua classes, that I have a chronic disease that requires steroids, blah blah, then I quickly said, "Look, I can either chat or do my workout," threw on my goggles and proceeded to out-swim him.

Maybe we can end fat discrimination and bullying by not hiding away and by talking openly about fat issues. I know NAFA does some of this. I'm also not saying that I don't want to achieve and maintain a healthy weight---I DO!!! I would just like the terrorizing of the overweight to STOP.

Like Sandy, I think I'm just going to crack down on it when I see and hear it. And maybe it's time to use my writing voice to send these messages into the world.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have had so much bullying and so many horrible comments in my life.. I feel blessed that though I do feel self conscious I am able to get in the pool.

Choices.. today I chose to pick a big goal for myself. And today I choose to stick to my calorie limit and eat healthy. I also choose to get some exercise in. Yesterday actually completing that 5K got me fired up. it was hard but I did it.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I choose... to go to the movies. Hurray. And work on making good choices every moment of each day, like I do everyday since its a necessity.

As for what people think. The obesity epidemic awareness drive did not suddenly give everyone the right to have a say about my body weight, so they can f**k off.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I choose... to go to the movies. Hurray. And work on making good choices every moment of each day, like I do everyday since its a necessity.

As for what people think. The obesity epidemic awareness drive did not suddenly give everyone the right to have a say about my body weight, so they can f**k off.

Yeah. What he said.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh my God, I have wasted my morning! But... swimsuit is now on, gym bag is packed, and I am off to the pool.

I think I said it yesterday, but here it is again anyway... JULIE, YOU ROCK!!! Congratulations on your 5K! You've inspired me... I'm going to look into a swim "race" and sign up!
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Today I'm making the choice to think about my choices before I eat and not berate myself if I make a choice that isn't the best. I'm also choosing to carve out a portion of my day for me. Whether I choose to use that time to read, go for a walk or work on therapy homework, it is time for ME.

I have been picked on for being overweight as long as I can remember. Some more blatant than others. It used to really bother me and I can't tell you the number of tears that I have shed because of it. As I grew older and reached my late 20's, I started hardening to the bullying and eventually developed an "I don't give a ****" attitude but down deep it still hurt. Recently I've begun sticking up for myself and giving them a piece of my mind. An incident about a week ago is a very good example. I often donate plasma at a local blood bank. A week ago, the girl (who I might add was no skinny thing herself) had no sooner put the needle in my arm when she pulled it back out. Since they can only use my right arm veins, that meant I could now not donate. I asked why she pulled it out and she said it looked like it was trying to clot. When I asked her what would cause that she said, "Obviously it's the fatty food you ate this morning." OMG, did I read her the riot act. I told her, "Excuse me!?! First of all that's very unprofessional. Second of all, you don't know a damn thing about me and for you to assume anything about me and what I eat makes you an *kitten*. For your information I eat a very low calorie, low sugar, low fat, low cholesterol diet. Just because I'm overweight does not give you the right to assume a damn thing about me!!" By the time I finished (because I wasn't quiet in voicing my opinion) I had the blood bank manager next to me. She was apologizing up one wall and down the other and I told her she needed to better educate her employees on how to be professional. A few years ago, I would have taken the comments and not said a single word and secretly hurt.
  • IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    Today I choose to not eat the whole box of chocolates Hubby bought me in one sitting. Instead, I choose to budget a couple into my calorie intake and to savor them. I also choose to eat them as a treat and not as a mechanism for coping with stress. Unless hubby eats them, this will be the longest lasting box of chocolates ever brought into this house.

I did my weigh in to today and I'm down 5.8 lbs. I know a lot of it is probably water weight but at least the scale is back under 300. And I vow it will never be back above there again there again.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Today I choose to not eat the whole box of chocolates Hubby bought me in one sitting. Instead, I choose to budget a couple into my calorie intake and to savor them. I also choose to eat them as a treat and not as a mechanism for coping with stress. Unless hubby eats them, this will be the longest lasting box of chocolates ever brought into this house.

I did my weigh in to today and I'm down 5.8 lbs. I know a lot of it is probably water weight but at least the scale is back under 300. And I vow it will never be back above there again there again.

As the queen of "I lost weight but not really," I am going to take a moment to SHOUT: WOW!!!!! YOU LOST 5.8 POUNDS AND YOU ARE UNDER 300!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Way to flippin GO getting under 300! And on the chocolates!!

mikesgirl.. what you did was awesome. How I wish I had that moment back again when I went to see a Gynacologist because I was leaking urine years ago.. I didn't know it but I had 5 prolapses and after a very painful examination he told me no way would he operate. I remember him digging his hands into my tummy and kneading it and saying in a disgusted voice.. what is this? Look at all this!!!

Had he tried that now.. I would probably have hit him.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Went to the movies, watched beautiful people save the world and barely get hurt.

Went to fuddruckers for lunch. Because we were hungry and that was in the area and I was going to be able to make choices at any of the restaurant. I went with a buffalo burger on a wheat bun (ok I had a slice of bacon in it and it was delicious), could have gone with the veggie (i've had it before, pretty good) but decided I wanted to enjoy it. Had a few fries since we shared but after the burger I was pretty full so I only ate a few and we abandoned them without emptying the basket. Overall it went fairly well, it's not something that happens often so I decided to enjoy it. My calories for the day are fine, my macros are nearly spot on.