Long-run fuel of choice?

Options
kristinegift
kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
Just wondering what your long-run fuel of choice is. I've eaten enough GU packets to last me a lifetime, and I love Clif Shot Blocks when it's warmer (when it's chilly, they become super gummy and hard to chew). I tried GU Chomps this morning but couldn't even swallow one... I opted for the other half of last week's Blocks packet which got me though my 9 miles today pretty well despite the labored chewing.

What do you prefer to munch on mid-run? Any suggestions?

Replies

• tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    GU gels are my go to. They are the easiest thing to get down while running. I am a mouth breather and those gu chomps about killed me lol!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Gel mixed with water in a flask. So much easier to stomach! plus its easy to spread the carbs out.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I use Vfuel energy gels now. I had tried a lot of energy gels and they hurt my stomach, made me nauseous or gave me heartburn, so gave those up for about a year, using only dates, larabar, pb&j on long runs. Then I tried VFuel, which are much convenient, and cause no digestive issues with me.

here's an article about energy gels, their ingredients, and how they work.
    http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Comparison_of_Energy_Gels
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I like Honey Stingers. They are easy to chew and kind of melt in your mouth.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of things, tortillas, gummy bears, m&ms, but lately I'm loving Honey Stingers energy chews. The pomegranate ones are SO good.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    crank sports e-gel
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I like Honey Stingers. They are easy to chew and kind of melt in your mouth.

^^^ this is what I use.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I like the Jelly Belly Sport Beans. Mmmm candy!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'll have to see if I can find any of these locally and try them out (especially the 3x recommended Honey Stingers!).
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I've experimented with a lot of fuel.. I don't like gu or shots or jelly beans.. It's too sugary for me and I don't like chewing during a fast race like a marathon. I'd rather drink my fuel. My lady two marathons I only used water & gateraid & they were my only two BQs.. It's nice and simple., just grab the cup of gaterade they have. It was a no brained for me... On training runs and for my ultra this weekend, I will be drinking afterglow.. I get it from GNC. I like the taste :)
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I dislike the flavored drinks in marathons. I drink the water and do gu every 45 minutes. Salt and Caramel, Vanilla, Lime and tri berry are among my favorites. The colored drinks give me a gut ache.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I do the Gatorade G1 Prime chews. I tried the Clif chews, but they were ginormous and hard to chew. I can't stomach the texture of the gels.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what your long-run fuel of choice is. I've eaten enough GU packets to last me a lifetime, and I love Clif Shot Blocks when it's warmer (when it's chilly, they become super gummy and hard to chew). I tried GU Chomps this morning but couldn't even swallow one... I opted for the other half of last week's Blocks packet which got me though my 9 miles today pretty well despite the labored chewing.

What do you prefer to munch on mid-run? Any suggestions?

For an energy gel, you might try a mix from energygelcentral.com

For non-fasted long runs, I will consume 1 tbsp before the run and one tbsp for each 8 oz water bottle (I use a Nathan "Speed belt")
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I really like the honey stinger products. I switch between the gel and the chews. The waffles are good too; feels more like real food. Otherwise I like dates or almond butter and banana wraps. Sometimes I add in a few pretzels sticks around mile 20.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I enjoy regular old jelly beans. Currently have been using Kirkland Jelly Belly. I use them on runs of 90+ minutes. I recently tried a Cliff Shot that I received in a run bag at a marathon; around mile 17 on a later training run...it really hit me around mile 19. I liked that. On marathons, I have stuck with my jelly beans and supplemented with bananas and oranges supplied by the race organizers. I may try that Cliff Shot for my next one.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Organic Medjool dates work well!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'll have to see if I can find any of these locally and try them out (especially the 3x recommended Honey Stingers!).

I recently tried these and liked them too. They were smaller & softer than the Clif ones (160 calories in the packet). I also tried the Honey Stinger gel (didn't love the flavor). I bought them at D i c k 's Sporting Goods, if you have one of those near you.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lime ade Honey stingers are my go to. I'm about to try out some of the other flavors though.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Lime ade Honey stingers are my go to. I'm about to try out some of the other flavors though.

The cherry cola chews are the bomb, as it the pomegranate acai gel!
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Looooong trail runs: Honey Stinger Energy Bars (preferably Banana Berry Buzz!) or ProBar meal bars
    Road Runs under 18 miles: dates and raisins
    Road Runs longer than 18 miles: Honey Stinger energy chews or gu chomps (though I agree that these are harder to get down!)

Liquid fuel for all of the above: Nuun tablets