Gluten-free dairy free breakfast?

Options
aryastark8
aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
I need gluten-free dairy free breakfast ideas. I like scrambled eggs with veggies, but don't want to do it every day. Oatmeal when cooked with water and no milk tastes disgusting to me. Any other ideas?

Replies

• Fairlady1964
    Fairlady1964 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you tried applesauce (plain or with cinnamon) on the oatmeal?
    Or if you want it sweeter, a little brown sugar or maple syrup does the trick.
    Buckwheat is also a good alternative.
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am also dairy free and I love Almond milk. The chocolate almond milk is really good, even my daughter will drink it. I like the unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I use it every morning on gluten free cereal or cream of rice.
  • aryastark8
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds strange but try a meal like they do in other countries - fish with rice & veg, or I like tuna with Indian Hot Lime Pickle mixed in it on my gluten free (& dairy free) toast. When I do clean oats I like to use Vanilla Almond Milk too. You can do congee which is rice pudding (Japanese & Chinese style is savoury) if you like with raisins and pumpkin seeds and lots of cinnamon. Slices of deli ham or turkey breast on toast is good especially when paired with celery/carrot/jicama sticks - easy to eat on a commute.
  • renegadegeek
    renegadegeek Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I make a frittata with veggies and vegan cheese, then store and reheat the leftovers. Makes a quick breakfast on the go. You can throw in meat or shredded potatoes too to bulk it up.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/frittata-recipe.html
  • aryastark8
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't know about the vegan cheese.
  • hollyt75
    hollyt75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to make smoothies with almond milk. One of my favorites is a cup of vanilla almond milk, a banana, 1TBSP peanut butter, a dash of cinnamon, and ice. It keeps me full for a very long time!
  • Asta2341
    Asta2341 Posts: 2
    Options
    Chocolate Covered Katie blog has great recipes (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/category/healthy-breakfast-recipes/). She's vegan so all are dairy free, and most of her recipes can be adapted to be gluten free. I've made bear oatmeal breakfast cupcakes and they are a great breakfast. Outside of that, mine are egg and sausage, a smoothie, or homemade waffle-egg sandwiches.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love making banana pancakes - mash 1 banana with 1 egg and a tsp of cinnamon, fry in coconut oil or bake in a bun tray in the oven. Optional extras....add 1 tbsp of ground flax seed, handful of blueberries, dark chocolate chips. They are yum and actually, honest to goodness healthy lol.
  • DaisyKate30
    DaisyKate30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast person...
    what about a protein shake and almond milk (I use muscle milk because it's gluten free, I'm not sure about dairy though)
    cereal and almond milk
    Cottage cheese (Lactaid brand) and fruit
    Gluten free toast/bagel with bacon/egg
    Gluten free muffins (not sure about the dairy though? :( )

I've seen few breakfast recipes around pintrest using qunia for breakfast... just a thought.

If you still have trouble finding something... pinterest always has recipes if you search for them. Good luck.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Lots of gluten free cereals on the market today. I like the chex brand with almond milk.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Pigs in a blanket.

I take a standard crepe recipe and substitute chocolate almond milk and my favorite GF pancake mix - Andrea's. Mix up the batter, give it it's hour rest in the fridge, then whip up a batch of chocolate crepes.

While that's going on, I cook up some sausage links. Into each crepe I put a sausage link and a slathering of strawberry preserves. Wrap them up, onto a plate, and some maple syrup to top.

Oh yeah. Bliss.

You have to be careful, as the almond milk thickens the batter differently than regular milk does. But once the consistency is good, it's a straight shot to a blissful breakfast.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Pigs in a blanket.

I take a standard crepe recipe and substitute chocolate almond milk and my favorite GF pancake mix - Andrea's. Mix up the batter, give it it's hour rest in the fridge, then whip up a batch of chocolate crepes.

While that's going on, I cook up some sausage links. Into each crepe I put a sausage link and a slathering of strawberry preserves. Wrap them up, onto a plate, and some maple syrup to top.

Oh yeah. Bliss.

You have to be careful, as the almond milk thickens the batter differently than regular milk does. But once the consistency is good, it's a straight shot to a blissful breakfast.

Chocolate, strawberry, and maple syrup touching sausage, EWWWW, just EWWWW! those things are separate mouthfuls on my plate. Too sweet with meat. The only chocolate to touch meat in my house is in a (modified GF) mole and it's not sweet. Jam and sausage is just NO! :sick:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Also look in to IF and skipping breakfast :)
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Pre-packed GF items are typically high calorie and high sugar content. I make my own GF/Dairy Free/ refined sugar free muffin, make a juice or just have a small portion of nuts for during the week and have eggs & hashbrowns on weekends. Either way, make your own so you can control the ingredients and the calories.
  • jenmaclean66
    Options
    I've got two go-tos. Quinoa 'oatmeal' cooked with vanilla almond milk and maple syrup, mmm-mmm good! Also, a GF rice cake with avocado and egg on top, drizzled with a bit of olive oil... bacon if you so desire. Or that same rice cake with peanut butter and a banana sliced up if you're going for something sweet!

My mom is also a big fan of chia pudding with fruit, but I haven't gotten that brave yet.
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken legs for breakfast. I know it sounds weird, but once a week I buy a huge family pack and roast them in the oven. I eat two every day for breakfast. I like to eat while driving to work. And the great thing about chicken legs is that they come with a handle.
  • traceyandelliemay
    traceyandelliemay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pro nutro also im coeliac and oatmeal doesn't agree with me cause of the gluten in it... Pro nutro is super healthy thesouth aAfrican rugby team eat it. :-)
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Once I un-wrapped my head from 50 years of only eating traditional breakfast foods it got substantially easier. Salad, stir-fry, left-overs, GF pasta, chicken, fish anything goes. It's just another meal, it doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food. When I used to travel to Japan the hotel I always stayed at had a western breakfast buffet with eggs, sausage, ham, toast etc... and a non-western side that was just a salad bar with fish. It's weird at first but it opens things up a lot if you try it.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I've had GF pizza for breakfast more times than I can count. Yummy and if you have time you can make your own.