Tummy

Options
For those with a back problem - I cannot do a lot of the exercises designed to firm the tummy. I have found that if I push my bottom into a good supportive seat, then pull in my stomach then pull it right in (do it in 2 actions) it produces results. I have been doing sets of 10 until it burns. It doesn't hurt my back, in fact I can feel that it is also strengthening my back muscles because they feel a bit sore.

Replies

• Gooch_Tha
    Options
    You are stressing a problem that is really common amongst all abdominal exercising individuals. Though all may not realize it, strenuating the back is usually a result of thier exercises...this is until proper form is accomplished. I do ab workouts on a daily to try and tone up my stomach issue, and have ran across this video where I have picked up some new workouts.

This does focus on non-back strenuating exercises that you can do at home. I am still working on proper form and targeting the correct muscels. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQF2jzZwlC8

*DISCLAIMER* lol
    I am an everyday office working father/husband. So, this what I find helpful.
  • amyenman1
    amyenman1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you funny hi is amyenman
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do planks & find that I don't over do my back :)
  • mariestevenson24
    Options
    sounds good glad it is working
  • Glaziazisaur
    Options
    I see this topic has been inactive but has anybody else found any new exercises to do for tummy region that doesn't stress the back? I also have a bit of a swayed lumbar region >_<;
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I see this topic has been inactive but has anybody else found any new exercises to do for tummy region that doesn't stress the back? I also have a bit of a swayed lumbar region >_<;

That makes two of us. I actually have trouble with planks because I feel the strain on my lower back -- and that is while looking in the mirror and constantly checking form and comparing to videos that are doing it properly. What else can be done that will help strengthen core muscles and activate muscular activity around the abdominals?
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi all - new to this group. I also have a bad back and a physio suggested the following. Lie on your stomach on the floor. Then pulling your navel towards your back try to get your belly off the floor. Hold it for a few seconds then relax. Rinse and repeat.
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I found this really helpful - got this from the book "The Mummy Tummy" - written for moms to strengthen their abs after giving birth. If you know anything about kegels, this is the same idea. A great way to start strengthening the abs.

You can do this anywhere that you are sitting, no stress on the back!:smile:

All you do is contract the abs, think of pulling the belly button into your spine. Contract and hold for 5 seconds relax, do as many as you can. Alternatively, you can just pulse the contraction, again do as many as you can.

To help strengthen the back, try lying on the floor in the superman (woman) position. Lift one arm and the opposite leg off the floor a couple of inches and hold, release. Do the other side. Start with a number that is comfortable for you and then increase it weekly. As your back gets stronger you can lift both arms and legs at the same time.

Hope this helps those of you with lower back issues! :smile: