Any Vegan Warrior's in here?

Options
FWMagicMike
FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
I know I can't be the only one... I think...

I'm curious on how many people go "all out" on their workout and stick to their strict diet.

Oh, I'm Mike and I am new to CrossFit. I love the randomness to the workouts. I at first knocked it, and I understand it more now.

:drinker:

Replies

• Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike!

Sorry, I actually started eating meat again a month or two into Crossfit.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Meat is pretty much a staple of my diet. I am the anti-vegan.

That said, everyone has to do their own thing. If you are making it work for you that's awesome.

I'm not sure I could consume the protein calories I need to build muscle mass without eating meat.
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    Meat is pretty much a staple of my diet. I am the anti-vegan.

That said, everyone has to do their own thing. If you are making it work for you that's awesome.

I'm not sure I could consume the protein calories I need to build muscle mass without eating meat.

Yeah man, it is a lot of work at first, but once you figure out what has what (essential proteins) it becomes easier.

I love challenges, this is one... haha
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    You'll be fine man.

I think my big issue would be that I try to avoid soy if I can. that's a big source of protein out the window for me if I'm vegan.

I would also have to become an expert in preparing Indian food. I would need all those spices to get me through it :)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Indian food is not that hard to cook! :-)
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I know, I do a few dishes on occasion, but I'd really have to dig deeper if meat, fish, eggs, dairy was off the table for some reason.
  • amcanally1
    amcanally1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, but not vegan. I consume some dairy and eggs.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 9.5 years, including over 2 years of crossfit, but since really focusing on my performance and eating to fuel my training I found that I just couldn't get enough protein in without relying on soy, mock meats, etc and I hated eating so much processed food. So I started eating fish again earlier this year and honestly, as much as I still have an emotional/moral issue with it, it's probably the best thing I could have done for my overall health and training...
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    I think once I am done with the upcoming Savage Race on June 28th, I may get back into eating fish. I do however feel energized and nutritionally balanced.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I think as meat goes, fish is probably the easiest to justify eating. And one of the more tasty ones too, coincidentally.
  • jordymils
    Options
    I think as meat goes, fish is probably the easiest to justify eating. And one of the more tasty ones too, coincidentally.

The way I justify it to myself is that at least fish are living out in the wild before they get caught, unlike animals raised in farms under who-knows-what conditions. I don't buy farmed fish at all and am lucky that my step dad has a mussel farm and works with local fisherman to get fresh fish, but it's still a moral battle.

MagicMike - I also 'felt' fine, but just didn't want to be relying on the processed proteins. Each to their own!
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    MagicMike - I also 'felt' fine, but just didn't want to be relying on the processed proteins. Each to their own!

I agree. I stay away from lots of processed foods. I do not eat potato chips, drink soda, or eat really any junk food. If I want junk, I make it from scratch such as chocolate chip cookies... mmm... mmmm

I only been taking one protein supplement and it is HempPro50... I will need to find another source, this is becoming to gritty for me..
  • jordymils
    Options

I agree. I stay away from lots of processed foods. I do not eat potato chips, drink soda, or eat really any junk food. If I want junk, I make it from scratch such as chocolate chip cookies... mmm... mmmm

I only been taking one protein supplement and it is HempPro50... I will need to find another source, this is becoming to gritty for me..

I was referring more to vegetarian protein options like mock meats, tofu, etc. I rarely eat junk food as I generally just don't enjoy it.
    If you can get enough good protein on a vegan diet, then all power to you!!

If you're looking for a vegan protein powder, I use one that's a pea/rice blend (blended to get an amino acid balance closest to whey) and I love it. It's only available here in Australia but I'm sure there are similar ones elsewhere. Might be worth trying a few out :)
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm a former vegan :).vegetarian 15 years vegan 3. Many paradigm ****s later and I'm now grain free grass based meat farmer.