How I control my portions on snacks.

Options
loriarty
loriarty Posts: 33 Member
So this might sound a bit stupid. But anyway one of my biggest things is I eat if I'm bored... or if I'm mad, or pretty much any emotion, and even being away that I'm tracking my calories doesn't really stop it, especially if I'm mad. And as much as I pay attention to portion sizes, sometimes in those moments, I just... don't care. So this is something I've started doing when I get any sort of junky or snacky type foods.
I look at what a serving is, or how many servings are in the bag. I especially do this if I decide to get myself a bag of candy. And then I open the bag and began to portion it. It's a bit boring and it's really tempting to not try and snack a bit while I do it, but anyway... I get some plastic wrap and wrap each of the portions. Then after that I just put them into a ziplock back and bam. If I want a snack I just pull out one little serving, if I'm packing my lunch or something, I just pull out a serving and I don't have to worry about it any more for that bag.
And really as stupid and easy and cheesy as it sounds, it's really done wonders for me.

Replies

• Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Not stupid at all!!! I do the same thing. It takes me hours when I get home from the grocery because I like to sit down with the scale and get it all done. So my snacks, meats, cheeses, anything in bulk are portioned out and labled. That's part of keeping ourselves "Armed"! I even portion out the cereal -then just put all the ziplock bags back in the box. Boy do I love it in the middle of the week when I'm busy, I'm always glad I took the time to get it done early.
    Blessings:wink:
  • loriarty
    loriarty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good good so I'm not the only one. I really want to get a scale, because right now I just have to go by the "about 7 servings" and just divide everything into seven groups. Though I tend to just go ahead and divide it into 8 just for good measure. Once I get a scale, I can imagine it going a lot smoother and faster. lol.
    But like I did it with this bag of skittles, and just limited myself to one a day if I wanted one. And it worked. It's amazing the little things you can do to get a rein on your cravings.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this. I can imagine that it would definitely help during a binge.. you are right.. I don't care at the time either and it is damaging. Since I started tracking every single thing it is not as bad as I thought but still not great.

I got my scales at Walmart for $10.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    LOVE this idea!!!! Very smart!!!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Fabulous idea! I've done it before. My only problem is how not to have a bite of this, a bite of that as I'm bagging. Ack!
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Good idea!

I do this for snacks too but I get like a little crisis portion in an ike Tupperware box :-)

I do try to buy individually packaged treats if they are cheap enough!

Kaela x
  • melissasue0317
    melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    if there is as Target store nearby, they sell portion marked snack bags. 1/4c, 1/2c etc. It's their up and up brand. LOVE this bags.