Still struggling, a year later

Options
I lost 80 lbs before my pregnancy then gained it all back during. Im finding it much more difficult to lose and stay dedicated this time. Any help/suggestions/ suopport is more than appreciated.

Replies

• stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's definately harder to lose after baby... time and energy are not as available as they once were. It IS possible though...and you CAN do it. I lost close to 70lbs after my first baby...only gained the "normal" 30 lbs with my second, but it still took me over a year to get back down to my pre-preggo weight... and that was still working out almost daily! The eating has been hardest for me because I'm much better at extreams than middle of the road.
    Many will say you should do it for your family, and there is validity in that... but ultimately, it's for you... your mental, physical and emotional health. If you are all around healthy, everyone around you benefits.
    My body's not perfect, but I'm proud of where I am and the hard work I put in to get here.
    It's a decision to make healthy food choices and physical activity a proiority in your life.
    Good luck... you can do this!
  • 8jaja7
    8jaja7 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yea limited time, enegery and funds make it more difficult this time. Before I had my son I had nothing but free time and extra money to spend. I guess i just have to remin myself if i did it once i can do it again. Thank you for your story and inspiration words.
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had lost 50lbs prior to my pregnancy. My little one is 2 1/2 now and I can't lose the 60lbs I gained during my pregnancy. I used Jenny Craig last time and had a personal trainer. Definitely can't go that route this time. I lost 20 lbs last summer but gained it all back during the winter. :cry: I'm trying again. Tracking and walking but lack of energy, time and money is definitely a hindrance. We can do it though! Stick with it, a little at a time. Feel free to friend request me. :smile:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I feel you! I gained a lot of weight during my first pregnancy, plus I started out overweight, but then I lost 82 lbs (102 if you count from pre-delivery weight) by the time he was about 13 months old. I got pregnant again when he was about 19 months old, and I gained like crazy again. My younger son turns one in two days, and I'm still 50+ lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight. BFing has killed any weight loss (we're weaning any day now), which has been totally demoralizing. It's also made my physical presence kind of necessary, which makes it really hard to get workouts in. Having two kids also does that because, even though he's awesome about it, I feel like I'm dumping on my husband when I'm like, "See ya! I'm going to Spin class."

I'm not one for doing workouts at home, either. I even have my own Spin bike, but it is soooooo painful doing it by yourself. At this weight I can't seem to get comfortable running yet. My old, bigger workout clothes don't fit me yet :(

Anyway, I get it. My motivation is that I don't want to be that fat, frumpy mom. After my first, people used to tell me that I looked so good, there's no way I had a one-year-old. This time there's no question! I'm just really embarrassed by my size. I used to feel so awesome and fit and confident. Not to be TMI, but my sex life was revitalized. Now I'm like, "Lights off, eyes up!" (Poor guy.)

Honestly my husband is key. He's always been so supportive of me, and if he wasn't totally nonchalant about my leaving him with the kids, I really never would do it. Can daddy watch the baby while you go for a run? Couch to 5K workouts are only 30 minutes, and then you can take a super quick shower afterwards. Because it's hot here for most of the year, early mornings and evenings are great times to run, so I can either go after the kids are in bed or at 6AM if I'm sure nobody will wake up needing me. I'm almost to that place with my younger one (my older one is fine), so I think I'm going to have to pick up 6AM runs again. I just have no energy left in the evenings.

If you work outside the home, can you fit in anything during your lunch and maybe eat while you work?

As for food, you just have to buckle down and do it. Keep it simple. Focus on your calorie goal, then refine as needed if you're watching carbs or other macros or eating "clean." Just focus on the big number so you don't get lost in the minutiae.

I know that's a lot to read, but I completely understand how you feel. It's defeating to have had all your hard work "ruined" (as much as we love our kids!).

Take heart that others have been there before and have done it. You've done it before, just in different circumstances, but you know you're capable of it. Try to think about the enthusiasm you had last time and see if you can recapture it.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:

Edited for typo
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. My little guy is almost 18 months old. I lost 30 pounds right before getting pregnant ,and it almost seemed EASY, once I got used to logging everything and got into the habit of working out regularly. Now, I can't wrap my mind around how I managed it before. I've lost some, but haven't been able to consistently log foods at all. I used to log every single bite. Now, it's a bite of baby's cereal bar here, the leftovers of his veggie patty from the night before for breakfast, a handful of dry cereal when I join him for a snack...I can't imagine how I could possibly log those things, and I don't have the energy to make myself do it. I'm eating healthy foods (mostly because I'm adamant about feeding T healthy foods, so that's what we have around), and the weight IS coming off...it's just taking FOREVER. And forget about the hour and a half long workouts I used to do. Now, it's a one and a half mile jog a couple of days a week with a stroller.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm having to do this for a third time now! I lost weight for my wedding, just before I got pregnant with my first. Despite exercise, I still gained weight. I lost it all after, then for pregnant again when he was 13 months old. I gained loads in that pregnancy, but after I lost it all and more, 67lbs in total and was really slim going into my third pregnancy. I exercised and logged all pregnancy, and now I'm 4 weeks post partum and probably have at least 25lbs to lose, if not more (my profile pic is 2.5 weeks post partum).

It is harder when you have less time and money. I plan to get back to the gym in July (I'm on a payment break right now) and go about 5 times a week. My husband can look after the kids. He works shifts so I can fit my gym around that. I've already started logging again, but it's hard work when I'm tired.

I had a personal trainer after my other two kids, but I'm not sure I can afford it this time. I had savings after child no.1, and some inheritance money after no.2.

I also make sure I go out for lots of walks. We live by the sea, and go on the seafront a lot, which unfortunately means lots of ice cream stands! The kids are always begging for ice creams and I have to be strong and say no! I told them they'd run out yesterday lol.

I've decided I'm going to have a homemade treat at the weekend, a cake, or cookies or something. I also want my kids to have no treats in the week. The older ones are 5 next month, and 3.