mindset during a race

Options
valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
Hi all,

just wondering if any of you can provide any insight into what you think during a race, I was sooo negative the other night on my 10k.
I am not normally a negative person at all but I had had a really stressful day in work rushed out to the race and found I moaned at myself the whole way round - my diet, pace, breathing I just did not settle into the race at all .To the point where I decided I'm not going to race again.

The mad thing is I got a PB! 51 mins which for me is great considering my first 10k nearly a year ago was 74 mins, so I obviously ran the race I have been training for its just a pity I didn't enjoy it.

Any tips for what do do when you are racing and struggling to focus on something positive? or even just to switch off and run ?

My next 10k in 2 wks its with lots of friends some of whom are walkers so I am going to relax and enjoy the expereince, I am going in the walking section.

thanks all,

valentine

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I do find it especially challenging to get into the proper mindset for an afternoon / evening race. For my last one I actually had a glass of wine a couple hours out from the race. I'm not sure it helped my race but I think it might have improved my mindset.

For morning races I've never really had trouble focusing in on the race. Mainly I focus on my race plan (you do have a race plan, right?) and just go through what I need to do at each stage of the race to reach my goal.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think for me, it's largely in part by how I train. During training runs I tell myself to expect the ups and downs in a race. You'll always have high and low moments. I acknowledge them while I'm there, but then let it go, knowing the next "up" is just around the corner. Sometimes I'll just focus on slowing my mind down and focusing on one thing like breathing, or doing a body scan and just checking out how I'm feeling.

And when all else fails, I focus on this one mantra: Run the mile you're in. I forget about the miles to come after and just focus on what I'm doing right now.

I don't know if any of this helps you or not, but it's helped me dig out of some pretty crappy race moments.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Battle between you and your mind. Negative thoughts can be very powerful, but you can also chose to ignore them. I constantly practice saying F you to that part of my brain. It's more important than physical training
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

And when all else fails, I focus on this one mantra: Run the mile you're in. I forget about the miles to come after and just focus on what I'm doing right now.

^^My mindset is similar. My overall running mantra is "Right Here, Right Now."...Thanks, Jesus Jones ;)

Look around, enjoy the day, the folks around you. Run fast, but have fun. We're lucky to be runners, I think. :)
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have run so many marathons that I have tried just about everything. My last one (#31) I, for the first time, wore yurbuds the entire time and listened to my favorite music. I loved it. We typically either associate or disassociate with our circumstances. If I do not remain mindful, I can lose focus and slow down. Thoughts of work, problems, relationship or whatever can be very distracting. For fast racing I stay right on top of the moment. No anger just determination. I pick the pace I can hold and then push forward as much as I am able. If it doesn't go well then I begin to manage my expectations. I think of the next reachable goal if the first one slips away. "Just finish" is the second to last resort. "Don't die" is the last resort.

I also focus on my running gait and cadence more than I do my breathing. It seems that awareness of my breathing slows me down but a focus on my turnover helps me speed up. Shorter faster strides increase speed and don't hurt as much.

For my next BQ attempt this fall I will not wear headphones. I will try to minimize everything that I have to do or have to carry. I will try to simplify the experience as much as possible. I have tried carrying my splits and I might again except when I fall behind as some low point, I start to panic a bit. Each race is a negotiations with what you can convince your body to do. If I am noticing all of the fit ladies around me then I am probably not focussing enough on my task.

Also, during a marathon is a great time to appreciate and celebrate being alive. Humility and gratitude is a powerful mindset to dig deep and give your very best. I use all types of mantras if they help in the moment. Our previous months of training are what mostly determines what is possible on that day. We either do it or we don't so I tend to relax and "run the race" the best I can that day.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I don't think about anything in particular. I'm too busy watching where I'm going. sometimes I talk to whoever is near me, but mostly I focus on the course, and plan what I'll do when I get to the next aid station (refill water, take electrolyte pills, pee, retie shoes, whatever)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When I get tired or grumpy I count steps to measure my cadence. It's boring but it keeps my mind preoccupied and helps my form/posture from falling apart!
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself there's and ebb & flow to my emotions during any run or race. During a low or dark time, I remind myself it will go away soon. I try to breathe deep and relax.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    thanks all for the fantastic advice. I am a divil for thinking ahead so will definately start now and run the mile I'm running it is so true the feelings - good and bad though ebb and flow...

thanks again and dave...race plan? no the only race plan I ever had was the one you gave me for the 5k ( it worked a treat)