LIfe after...

Options
kglowins
kglowins Posts: 111 Member
Has anyone noticed that they are treated differently now that some of the weight is off?

Replies

• cutty805
    cutty805 Posts: 54
    Options
    One of my best friends has pretty much alienated me since the surgery. We had a weekend ritual of drinking heavily and BBQ'in all night and that doesn't fit in my plan anymore. I tried finding other activities we can do together but he doesn't seem happy about my new restrictions. It disappoints me but getting healthy is my main concern right now so it is what it is!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! My friends and family have not changed how they treat me, they are totally supportive, but strangers treat me differently for sure. Before, it was like I was invisible, people didn't talk to me or make eye contact. I know at 382 lbs, people didn't know what to make of me. Now, people are much friendlier to me, strangers even talk to me, cashiers at stores are friendlier, colleagues even seem to engage more.
  • MissMadly
    MissMadly Posts: 5
    Options
    Totally. I had two different men engage with me today in ways that wouldn't have happened 6 months ago. I DO wonder how much I shut myself off from that kind of interaction before...keeping myself "safe" so I couldn't be rejected...I now feel more like the self I always was under all the weight.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I havent had vsg yet but being a big biker type, people tend to shy away by default. That probably wont change after i have my surgery. Lol
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    What a great question and thread you have started. Thanks everyone for your very honest answers. I just recently asked a friend the same question last week. She lost over 100 lbs. on her own and I am just in awe when I see her. I know she's the the same amazing person but I can't help but wonder what it is like on the inside of a thinner person looking out. :smile:
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I was just curious....
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Yes! I actually blogged here about how I was no longer invisible! At 386 people acted like I wasn't there and social situations were really awkward. Now I haven't hit goal yet and still weigh more than 200, but people now see me and talk to me in the elevator, on the street, etc. I think some of it is I am closer to a "normal" weight but I think most of it is how I act. Lots of people from my boss to my sister, friends, etc. have all said I am much more approachable now, more pleasant to be around, seem to be happier, and show a lot more self confidence. And I believe them. Because the truth is I feel better physically and emotionally, I'm proud of myself and I like the way I look so much more than I have in years. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked myself, you know, who I was as a person, but not the way I looked or felt. Now I like the way I look and feel too and I know that will only get better as I get closer to goal!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Pawoodhull. I agree and hope to experience the same thing. I will never change the person I am on the inside. I can't imagine though feeling a sense of freedom from the uncomfortable body I have been trapped in for far too long. It's exciting to think about how much better I will feel emotionally, psychologically and physically and having greater self esteem about my body and appearance. I realize that there will always be challenges in life, but I'll have more energy and confidence to deal with them.
    As always, thanks for your honest sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My friends treat me the same, but strangers... That's a different story! I noticed that all of a sudden I can't walk near one of those surveyor people at the mall anymore without getting jumped on. Same goes for the kiosk vendors. Never had that issue before as I was "invisible". Then there's my new found social life. I've been divorced for almost 4 years and hadn't pursued any relationships in that time. Recently I've started dating again. I'm an introvert by nature and getting attention from the opposite sex is a little overwhelming right now!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Itnteresting thread - I would wonder how much the changes are related to how we project ourselves.

For me; I am finding that men who I have known or worked with for years are seeking me out for advice and that women (mostly my age + or - 10 years) are simply not shy to tell me how "wonderful" and "fantastic" I look in very flattering terms.

Kinda like it.
  • apelilag
    apelilag Posts: 30
    Options
    I have gone from getting compliments at work like, " I love that dress, shirt",whatever I'm wearing to, " You look amazing in that!". It's a very different feeling to see the change in how people perceive the new you.