Body Fat %

Options
okulyd
okulyd Posts: 147 Member
Hi Everyone,
Where do you go to get an accurate measurement of things like lean muscle, body fat, etc...? I am currently tracking with an OMROM scale which tells me these things but I don't think the numbers it is telling me could possibly be accurate.

For example I am 5'4 and weight 170.4. The scale says my BMI is 24 (normal) and that my body fat is 19% (low) and my muscle is 39% (high). I have been trying and trying to lose but if my body fat is really only 19% then I actually shouldn't be trying to lose. I don't think 19% could possibly be right and I know that this is difficult to measure.

I carry extra weight around my stomach, upper arms and thighs which is why I don't think I could possibly be only 19%.

Any ideas where to go to get an accurate measurement?

Replies

• FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I have a friend who has a Tanita TBF-300a.
    this machine is expensive and is very accurate.
    there are many ways to get readings, skin-fold calipers are one way. A suggestion though, use someone who has done dozens of readings, because it is an art, and those who have done it for a while, will help with a proper reading.

Finding an impedance tester is your best bet though. :)
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a BF% scale so I just googled the Tanita TBF 300-A and it's a cool $2300. Whew, a litte deep for my pockets! I better stick to my $75 semiannual bod pods for now....
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a BF% scale so I just googled the Tanita TBF 300-A and it's a cool $2300. Whew, a litte deep for my pockets! I better stick to my $75 semiannual bod pods for now....

Yeah. It is very pricey, it is worth having if one is a personal trainer. :)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I use a bod pod. A training facility offers it for $25.00 in my area. From my research, it's pretty accurate.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Pictures would help. 24% is a pretty good % for a woman.
  • okulyd
    Options
    I'm not sure how to post a photo? I definitely have pounds to lose. Thanks for the tip for the bod pod. Its pricy but I see how it would be useful to take a measurement now and then do it again after I think I made progress.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you could find a service that offers water tank body fat measuring this is the most accurate. Basically you get submerged in a tank of water and they measure your body fat that way. My old box had a deal with a service like this and every few months they'd come around and measure people for around $50 per visit.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Where do you go to get an accurate measurement of things like lean muscle, body fat, etc...? I am currently tracking with an OMROM scale which tells me these things but I don't think the numbers it is telling me could possibly be accurate.

For example I am 5'4 and weight 170.4. The scale says my BMI is 24 (normal) and that my body fat is 19% (low) and my muscle is 39% (high). I have been trying and trying to lose but if my body fat is really only 19% then I actually shouldn't be trying to lose. I don't think 19% could possibly be right and I know that this is difficult to measure.

I carry extra weight around my stomach, upper arms and thighs which is why I don't think I could possibly be only 19%.

Any ideas where to go to get an accurate measurement?

I think your instinct is right here. 19% is low for a man and even lower for a woman.

This will give you an idea

http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you could find a service that offers water tank body fat measuring this is the most accurate. Basically you get submerged in a tank of water and they measure your body fat that way. My old box had a deal with a service like this and every few months they'd come around and measure people for around $50 per visit.

BodPod is another option but they are a bit scarce.
  • okulyd
    Options
    I added a few photos for you. I can't figure out how to paste in the message so you'll have to click on my name to see them. Thanks to everyone who responded. I am going to get officially tested in coming weeks since my scale is way off.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod is usually the best option for the money. Our local university offers a pretty good deal. We recently negotiated a really good rate through our box by doing a before and after during one of our Clean Eat challenges. If you can find one in your area, see if they may do something similar and then offer it up to others in your box.

170# and 19% is pretty low. I am 5'4" and was 151# and 29% the first time I went in (If you look at my pictures, the one that I am lifting the barbell...doing Grace...is about that time) and 155# and 24% six months later. I've been CrossFitting for about 2 years. I'm 142# now and am going back to have another done in about a month and hope to be at 19%!

Hope that helps
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have access to the "BodyView" machine at a gym I belong to, they offer it to members as part of the membership. Here is what the reports looks like http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/05/10/devin-may/preview/page/1/

I have a friend who does the Bodpod after these and says there is a marginal difference.