What I think is sad

Options
Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
I see tall teenagers that slump a little, most are the girls. Its like they are trying to make themselves seem shorter. I so wanna tell them to be proud of their height. My son does it a little and I tell them him the same thing. But I have no business telling someone thats not my child to stand tall. Wish their parents would.

Sad tall daddy

Replies

• pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I remember being told by my boss a couple years ago that he noticed how tall I walked, owned my height, and never slouched. After that, I really thought about it & realized that I had a lot of male role models (dad, several cousins, & uncles) growing up. I wanted to be like them so I always held myself tall & proud. Plus it was nice to be surrounded by people even taller than I was =)

But even as an adult, the comments haven't stopped. I don't know how many guys I've met/dated that said more than once "Why do you have to be so tall?" I try not to respond with something *****y but sometimes it's just frustrating!

If you do ever find me slouching, it's just because I have back problems from being so tall.. haha

I LOVE BEING TALL!!!
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    So very true.
    I used to be that teen, trying to "shrink" back in with everyone else. I think that is my only reason for slouching. But being the tallest girl in pretty much my town was a different experience growing up, and kids are so damn mean!

Im so glad I grew up to be proud of myself and the slouching has stopped.

Kids they need a lot of encouragement and love!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I used to slouch as a kid. All my friends were short, and I didn't feel like I was part of the conversation unless I slouched down to their level. That all ended in college. My husband says I stomp around, but I think I stride with purpose. :)
  • Gabillysmommy
    Options
    I've never minded being tall, I've always owned the height. It was the weight gain came after a pcos and the foot size that is necessary to carry my tall large build. I think I live being tall, I could always reach what I need, and help those that struggle. I've been teased for my height but no more than the short person, the person with glasses, or braces, ect. I've always tried to love myself for who I am but I'm not healthy anymore, my body can't take this abuse and I'm going to lose the weight n I'll never lose the height, or foot size. But I'm going to stand tall and embrace what I've got. My son is 13.5 and 6 foot tall. I pray that he has my strength!!! Stay strong!!! Dig deep!!! Don't let anyone make you feel bad, ever!!!!!
  • ChippleMunk
    ChippleMunk Posts: 13
    Options
    I was never comfortable in my height. It seemed all my friends were short and I just seemed tall and awkward. I didn't use my height to advantage, such as playing sports and slumped like crazy, wishing to be a few inches shorter.

Now, I try to remind myself to stand straight and tall, but still find myself slumping quite a bit. I am 5'10, husband is 6'3, we do have a daughter. I am going to do everything I can to encourage her to be proud of her height and do things to take advantage of it.
  • munky_do
    munky_do Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I try to stand tall, but it's hard to not want to slouch when I'm wearing heels. Group pictures with my girlfriends can be a pain, I'm always the one with the hunch!
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That was me until high school. I hated being tall and the attention I got because of it. Now I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I wear heels all the time and the men I work with hate it. :)

I have a niece who is 5'7" at 11 years old, and she is so comfortable in her skin. It is awesome for me to see, and I think my sister has done such a good job with her in that respect.
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I try to stand tall, but it's hard to not want to slouch when I'm wearing heels. Group pictures with my girlfriends can be a pain, I'm always the one with the hunch!

I sometimes kick my heels off in that situation, but only because it makes for a better picture!
  • munky_do
    munky_do Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I sometimes kick my heels off in that situation, but only because it makes for a better picture!
    Good idea! I need to think of that one next time lol
    I have a niece who is 5'7" at 11 years old, and she is so comfortable in her skin. It is awesome for me to see, and I think my sister has done such a good job with her in that respect.

That is awesome. My little 8 year old cousin is the tallest in his grade and he has some coordination problems (just like I did), but we play tennis and badminton together. I make sure to tell him how my coordination improved after I stopped growing, though I had to practice at it. I also tell him how many tall girls in high school are going to appreciate his extra height lol
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Coordination can be had quicker with strength training. What happens is you grow so fast the muscles can't handle the height.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    So much agreement. I always try to check myself and make sure I'm not doing it. Not only should you be proud to be tall, but slouching looks terrible, and makes you look like you lack confidence. Not to mention when you get older, it will only get worse...