Whovian Weekly Watchalong Week 1: The Eleventh Hour

Options
benaddict
benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
Greetings fellow Whovians!

We've decided to do a weekly watchalong of season 5! Here's how it'll work: Each Monday, I'll post a new topic with the name of that week's episode. Throughout the week, as you watch the episode, pop in and post your thoughts, opinions, favorite quotes, favorite scenes, gifs, stills, etc. If you miss a week, no worries; just come back whenever you have time!

This week's episode is... The Eleventh Hour!

dma-posters.jpg

"'The Eleventh Hour' is the first episode of the fifth series of Doctor Who, first broadcast on BBC One on 3 April 2010. The episode was written by new head writer and executive producer Steven Moffat and directed by Adam Smith. In the episode, the newly regenerated Doctor (Matt Smith) crashes the TARDIS into the small English village of Leadworth, where he meets a young Scottish girl named Amelia Pond (Caitlin Blackwood). The Doctor is forced to leave, but promises Amelia he will return in five minutes. However, he arrives twelve years late and is confronted by the grown-up Amelia, now known as Amy (Karen Gillan), who does not trust him. He attempts to gain her trust to help return the shape-shifting alien Prisoner Zero to the galactic police, the Atraxi, before they destroy the planet. The episode is the debut of Smith as the eleventh incarnation of the Doctor and Gillan as his new companion. It also introduced Arthur Darvill as Amy's boyfriend Rory Williams." (Wikipedia)

Once you've watched the episode, come back and post your thoughts!

What was your favorite quote or scene?
Who's your favorite character in this episode?
What did you not like about the episode?
Post any gifs or photos of the episode.
And post anything else you;d like to share with the group!

Come back throughout the week to read and respond to everyone else's posts. If you have any questions or anything you'd like to add, don't hesitate to message me!

dw-11th-hour-review-wide2.jpg

Replies

• MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    WHO WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
  • benaddict
    Options
    Forgot to say earlier: If anyone knows of working links other than Amazon, Hulu Plus, or Netflix, feel free to share!
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Guess I can go ahead, since I had to watch during nap time.

Favorite Quote: "Must be a hell of a scary crack in your wall."

Favorite Scene as a Whole: The confrontation of the Atraxi on the rooftop. I'm a sucker for a good Hartnell-thru-current-Doctor montage.

Favorite character: Young Amelia. It was very convenient that shes not only Karen Gillan's mini me, but she also plays the part so well in this scene and the end of the season.

Notable bits that didn't really fit in elsewhere:

I went in wanting to like Matt Smith when I watched it originally, because I didn't give David Tennant a fair chance out of the gate, but the food bit in the beginning worried me.

I didn't notice while watching, but I read earlier that Rory's hospital badge says it was issued in 1990 when they zoomed in. Apparently it was a goof with no deeper meaning, but it is a show about time travel...
  • benaddict
    Options
    I watched the episode today, too (while waiting for the season premiere of the Bachelorette, haha).

I like this episode! It's not one of my absolute favorites, but it's cute and fun and a good introduction to the new Doctor and new companions. One of my favorite quotes is little Amelia: "If you're a Doctor, then why does your box say 'Police'?" I just love her lisp and her accent. So cute!

ifyoureadoctor_zpsab560a03.gif

I also noticed today the little section where the Doctor realizes Rory's taking photos of the guy and the dog. Definitely reminds me of Sherlock doing his deductions.

sherlockdeduction_zps5b54effb.gif

rory2_zpsc2099d4c.gif

My favorite character is little Amelia, but I also like Amy's "good-looking" friend, Jeff. ;) His scene with the Doctor is funny. I wish we'd seen more of him.

Getagirlfriend_zps18b01bd4.gif

Youremybestman_zpsafad3aec.gif

Deleteyourinternethistory_zpsc522f46a.gif

And I love at the end when the Doctor confronts the Atraxi on top of the hospital and it shows all Eleven of them. I'm a sucker for a montage, too. :D

doctors1-3_zps3d2d2076.gif

doctors4-6_zpsd78a47f9.gif

doctors7-9_zps543d4178.gif

doctors10-11_zpse7cbd558.gif

helloimthedoctor_zpsc6cfa876.gif

basicallyrun_zpsa7c18416.gif
  • benaddict
    Options
    Favorite Scene as a Whole: The confrontation of the Atraxi on the rooftop. I'm a sucker for a good Hartnell-thru-current-Doctor montage.
    Me tooooo!! :D
    Favorite character: Young Amelia. It was very convenient that shes not only Karen Gillan's mini me, but she also plays the part so well in this scene and the end of the season.
    Yeah, she's totally precious. Loved her bits.
    I went in wanting to like Matt Smith when I watched it originally, because I didn't give David Tennant a fair chance out of the gate, but the food bit in the beginning worried me.

I didn't notice while watching, but I read earlier that Rory's hospital badge says it was issued in 1990 when they zoomed in. Apparently it was a goof with no deeper meaning, but it is a show about time travel...
    I agree about not giving the new Doctor a fair chance at the beginning. I have a problem adjusting each time. I found myself imagining how Tennant would have done each line to try to convince myself it was really still the Doctor. But I liked the food scene! The spitting may have been a bit much, but I thought it went along well with having a little girl there, he was being very childlike.

And you're totally right about the badge! I never would have noticed that...

949891a3-619d-45fd-be98-5ff366def9e3_zpse13d0481.png
  • benaddict
    Options
    Bumping this up - don't forget about the watchalong! :D
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    Rewatching it now :happy: Am I the only one that loves the fact that little Amelia is praying to Santa at the beginning? I also really love the food scene at the beginning for some reason, the fact that someone calls bacon poison always me :laugh:

90608_original.gif

Plus "you're Scottish, fry something".

My favorite scene is him confronting the Atraxi though because he just gets to have a total BAMF moment & I love it!!! :smokin:

The-Eleventh-Hour-Gifs-doctor-who-33215389-245-138.gif

The-Eleventh-Hour-Gifs-doctor-who-33215407-245-138.gif

^^not sure if these are working & if not I have no clue why :mad:
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Kiss-a-gram.... At that time, I was still in denial .. I DIDN'T LIKE MATT OR KAREN!!!! Then I loved them....... A Kiss-a-Gram of all things !! How sucky this season was going to be ... !! I still cry when I think of Ponds and Rory..
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Fish Fingers and Custard....Mmmmmm
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    I have a few of favorite quotes from this episode: "Wrong with me? It's not my fault, why can't you give me any decent food! You're Scottish, fry something!", "I'm the Doctor, i'm worse than everybody's aunt", "No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare... Who da man?", "I am definitely a madman with a box!"
  • benaddict
    Options
    Rewatching it now :happy: Am I the only one that loves the fact that little Amelia is praying to Santa at the beginning? I also really love the food scene at the beginning for some reason, the fact that someone calls bacon poison always me :laugh:

90608_original.gif

Plus "you're Scottish, fry something".

My favorite scene is him confronting the Atraxi though because he just gets to have a total BAMF moment & I love it!!! :smokin:

The-Eleventh-Hour-Gifs-doctor-who-33215389-245-138.gif

The-Eleventh-Hour-Gifs-doctor-who-33215407-245-138.gif

^^not sure if these are working & if not I have no clue why :mad:

Haha I love the praying to Santa. I also love when she goes "Back in a moment" in the middle of her prayer. Precious!

Also, I dunno why those gifs aren't working. I copied and pasted the links into my browser and they're fine. :ohwell:
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    Grrr! I couldn't find those anywhere else either & I know I put everything in right :explode:
  • JamieD328
    Options

I've always thought it was really cute, and makes me think of my kids who haven't had a religious upbringing. They'd probly pray to Santa...

For a moment I wondered what the noise Nightcrawler makes when he teleports had to do with Doctor Who. Then I stepped back from my inner comic book geek to realize what that would stand for...
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's good to re-watch episodes. I watched it all too fast. I was excited to see it on Hulu and totally binge watched and mixed up details in my head.

My favorite is when the Doctor says "Do I have the kind of face that no one listens to?! Again..." or something to that effect.

It's funny that he got called the Raggedy Doctor ( I know him. That's him! That's your Raggedly Doctor!) and for his look he just seemed to pick random clothes. The whole beginning is awesome because the Doctor is just the perfect "imaginary" friend. Equal parts adventure, silly and protective.

And of course the TARDIS is totally a sexy thing :-).
  • benaddict
    Options
    It's good to re-watch episodes. I watched it all too fast. I was excited to see it on Hulu and totally binge watched and mixed up details in my head.

My favorite is when the Doctor says "Do I have the kind of face that no one listens to?! Again..." or something to that effect.

It's funny that he got called the Raggedy Doctor ( I know him. That's him! That's your Raggedly Doctor!) and for his look he just seemed to pick random clothes. The whole beginning is awesome because the Doctor is just the perfect "imaginary" friend. Equal parts adventure, silly and protective.

And of course the TARDIS is totally a sexy thing :-).

I did the same thing with the binge-watching (but on Netflix). I like rewatching because it clears up some of my fuzzier memories. I love "Raggedy Doctor" and how embarrassed Amy gets to have everyone telling him how obsessed she was with him.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eleventh Hour was the first episode I ever watched so it holds a special place in my heart :) Favorite quote/scene is pretty much the whole dialogue at the end outside the Tardis. "Other planets. Wanna check some out?". I love everyone's reactions to the Doctor when he's doing his thing and Amy's embarrassment when they ask her about him. And of course the montage was great. After I watched this episode, I went back and started from Nine.
  • mghollis
    mghollis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So, we watched this episode again about two weeks ago. My first thought was "Matt Smith looks so YOUNG in this episode and so OLD as the seasons go on." I love little Amelia, and the whole food scene, but since I have a daughter who eats an apple every single day, I must say, I love the smiley face apple. :smile:

:noway: I just realized Moriarty had an apple in Sherlock! :noway:

I had to giggle when the Doctor is changing clothes, and Rory turns away and Amy doesn't. :blushing:

And the whole rooftop scene. Yeah, that rocked. :bigsmile:

Matt Smith is not my favorite, but I've learned to like him.

Oh, and in re-watching it, I realized he snapped his fingers and the TARDIS opened.

Okay, I need to go. This is fun!
  • JamieD328
    Options
    I had forgotten the finger snapping bit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm excited you all decided to do this and started at the 11th Doctor, since I've been watching from the beginning for the first time, and that's right where I am. (I'm not especially spoiler adverse, so I plan to read along, even though I won't yet have watched the whole season or subsequent ones.)
    I agree about not giving the new Doctor a fair chance at the beginning. I have a problem adjusting each time. I found myself imagining how Tennant would have done each line to try to convince myself it was really still the Doctor.

I really enjoyed this episode, but there was some of this going on, and I know it's part of why I'd been delaying in starting it (as well as no time, messing around on MFP instead of watching TV, etc.). I loved Eccleston, but I think because he had such a short run and I knew it would be so short that I was okay with getting the new one (although it was still a jar). This time I wasn't sure I'd like the new one (I'd gotten fond of Tennant), although I was looking forward to getting a new companion, since the last few episodes were basically regular-companion-less. So the food thing kind of bugged me, since I was super critical of the new Doctor at that point, but eventually I adjusted, or at least I didn't get annoyed by the clothing stuff. (And I did like the fry something line.)

Really liked little Amelia, happy with Amy so far, and interested to see how they bring Rory back in.
  • JamieD328
    Options
    Is week 2 going to go on to the beast below? Its one of my favorites.