Low blood pressure

Options
KCSF
KCSF Posts: 49 Member
I had my 2 month post op check up today. The nurse took my blood pressure and it was low (88/56.) Before surgery it was usually around 100/65 but since surgery it has been dropping. She was concerned enough to go find me a cookie and a box of juice. I ate them but it didn't change it. She told me to drink more water and they will check it next week.

Has anyone else had a problem with low blood pressure? If so, what did they do for you? Did it good back up and keep dropping?

Thanks!

Replies

• plmelquist
    plmelquist Posts: 42
    Options
    I've been taking blood pressure meds for years and last Saturday I decided to check it at a pharmacy. It was pretty low so I've halved my dose. I may discontinue it altogether. Are you on meds? My heart rate is now very low compared to what it was. In the hospital it dropped under 40 while I slept and now, sitting here, it's barely 52. My doctor said not to worry about it but I do. How's your pulse?
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Mine was high pre-op. I was on 2 different meds. That was actually one of the reasons I had the procedure. The first few weeks post op it dropped, not to dangerous levels, but enough that I was light headed especially on standing. My medical team told me I wasn't drinking enough water and to try something with electrolytes when it's a little low. They were right. Within a few weeks when I could drink normally again, it came back up to "normal", then went high enough that I had to add back one of the meds for a month. Then it came back down to a place I could go off all the BP meds altogether. Occasionally, when I'm light headed I find it low now, (I have a cuff at home as I had to monitor it for many years). I still reach for a G2 when I get a little light headed. Seems to help.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Try some Quinoa cooked with regular(not low salt) broth. I kept trying to pass out when bending over for the 1st 5 months even tho I stopped bp meds. I started to have salty items more often. slim jim minis. reg chicken broth, cheese. at 6 months it quit.
  • KCSF
    KCSF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have always had normal or a little below normal blood pressure. The only meds I take are a hormone replacement therapy pill, Topamax, Prilosec, Zyrtec, Bactrum, and the normal vitamins. I don't take the normal obesity related ones.

I have been dealing with some lightheadedness while in the shower but the rest of the day is usually good.

I will try some of your suggestions... Thanks!!