Check In May 24, 2014

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Good Morning, Happy Saturday, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Technically, our one month anniversary for this group was yesterday, but let's celebrate today! Take a minute... how far have you come in one short month? What are you most proud of?

I'm most proud of my food diary. No more mindless eating... everything, good and bad, gets recorded.

My goal for today is to get up and moving. I actually crapped out yesterday instead of going to the gym, and I slept from 4 p.m. until 8 a.m. Sometimes Still's and the chronic pain just wipe me out. I hate it--so many things are left undone! On the other hand, keeping a food diary is easy when you only eat one meal, LOL!

I hope everyone who is celebrating this weekend with family has a wonderful time. And remember love and play are much more nurturing than unhealthy food. I'm going to look into some nutritarian recipes this weekend.... very curious about this new food movement that focuses on foods with the greatest nutritional values, like walnuts, kale, berries, spinach, and legumes.

Replies

• Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    :drinker: WooHoo!!! Happy Anniversary :flowerforyou:
    Good morning to all! I can't believe its been a month!?! It went so fast, Lol! But when you have great friends time flies! I'm proud of how committed I am to this group, I look forward to hearing from all of you everyday! This group is keeping me motivated to stay on this journey. I really don't know where I would be on the journey if it wasn't for y'all. When I get up in the mornings the first thing I do is check-in to see how everyones doing.
    My goal for today is to stay within 500 cals of goal. I prelogged my dinner, now just to fit everything around it. On special event days I allow myself to eat at maintainence. My family should be rolling in here shortly to set up their tents and campers, so I'm going to get off of here and prepare for my day. I will check back in off an on whenever I have a minute (most likely when I have a bathroom break, :laugh: now y'all have that image in your heads!!!!!) .
    Have a fantastic day everyone!!
    Blessings:flowerforyou:
  • Healthy4Sarah
    Healthy4Sarah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary friends! Such an amazing group of people!

I'm celebrating my birthday this weekend. Turning 40 on Thursday. I'm sad that my youth is gone but excited because with my changes my 40s will be better than my 30s! Had a binge day yesterday, which has me feeling lousy this morning. I don't have 'cheat days' so a whole day of poor choices after months of healthier eating is making me feeling sick and bloated today. Hope it doesn't show as bad on the scales.

I'm most proud of getting outside and helping my husband with the yard work. Last year I didn't have the energy or stamina to do that. This year it feels great working up a sweat and getting dirty making the yard look nice. And my husband appreciates the help and time together. I'm also proud of the six pounds that I lost in the last month and hitting a new 'decade' (Weight not age lol) :)
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Oh guys I am actually crying here to see people so happy and celebrating something I created and to know it is really helping. My day just could not start any better than this.

I don't think I have mentioned that I have an F1 Bengal cat, he is half Asian Leopard and half Bengal. The Asian Leopard cat or ALC is a small leopard 5-15lbs that lives in the jungles of Asia. These cats swim and fish. Two years ago my 18 month old baby Mowgli got out and was lost for four months, 6 days and 6 hours till he was caught in a garage and we got him home. I now get contacted by owners from all over the USA who lose any of these cats to help them in getting them back. This morning I have been in contact for he third day with an owner in Indiana to help her get hers back. Last year I helped man in Florida get his back. I am working on a book about my hunt for my Mowgli. Ever since I got my baby back he has lived in one room and I got his nephew for a companion for him.. but I dearly want him back in my life with the run of our home every single day. For that I need my porch covered in at the front and a porch on the back of my house so that he can't slip out when we let the dogs in and out. I am hoping proceeds from the book will pay for that.

Well I tried and tried to post a photo of my boy here but I can't. Will do my homework and come back to post some.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    052_zps59670d3a.jpg[/URL]
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh, Julie, I LOVE those cats... have always wanted one but I don't think we could keep up with one and can't afford the house changes to accommodate one. They really are a special breed... like the cat version of raising a wolf hybrid. Tonight we are having dinner with our friends Ken and Christine whose wolf hybrid has adopted me into her pack. They warned me when I first met her several years ago that she doesn't like anyone and would just sniff and growl at me. Instead, we instantly bonded, she spent the entire evening sitting next to me with her head on my knee or sleeping literally ON my feet, LOL. Now when I visit, she is my dear wolf friend. I feel so privileged to have this relationship.

This morning hubby was hovering, trying to convince me to go out for a big brunch with him, and finally I just had to say, "Look, if you want to go eat, GO! I have a weigh in this week and need to stick to my plan." We really need to find new activities to do together that don't involve food!! I wish I could convince him to get in the pool with me, or at least come to the gym and he can work out while I swim.

I'm going to try to disconnect from my phone and computer today and catch up on life. Hugs to you all... be fabulous!
    Karen
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm proud that I can get up each morning and realize how much better I feel. Even with all this weight still on me, I feel like I have a new life, new energy, new potential. I may be fat but god do I feel like i'm on the right path. I can now also poop comfortably as well.... too much information.

Off to a clients house.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Just checking in and wishing everyone a very happy Memorial Day Weekend! Looks like a lot of you have plans...so hope you all have a wonderful time whatever you are going to be doing!! I love reading everyone's posts! Keeps me going on this journey!! And Julie...would love to have one of those cats...but I have 9 cats already....8 are feral cats I rescued and the one in this photo I 'rescued' from a pet store...it was a little kitty that after one month never got sold....so I knew she was meant for me when she was still there!!! So glad you are going to close in your porch! I am working on that too....I have cat 'shelving' all over my living/dinning rooms...they love running high up close to the ceiling.....chasing each other or just hanging out up on the shelves looking down at me!!! The porch enclosed will be sure to keep the coyotes out of the porch so the cats can use a cat flap to get in and out of the house.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday my dear friends and a very happy anniversary to all of us. I'm checking in via my phone, trying not to use too much of my data. I'm so glad I found this fantastic group made up of such awesome people. It's so wonderful to know I'm not alone.

The thing I'm proudest of is that the current streak I'm on has been a very honest one. I havent just logged on to get credit for logging in, I have logged everything that has gone past my lips. The last 3 weeks my weight has been up, but I'm not going to let myself cave to self - sabotage. Thank you so much Patrick for talking me down off the ledge. Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend. I'll check in as often as I can.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    And despite a lot of delays and procrastinating, I am at the pool and five minutes away from getting in to do my laps. Friends , if I can drag these inflamed joints in here on crutches, you can do five minutes of exercise today--My challenge to you! Even if you just walk or dance or stretch in place! Go for it!
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Wtg Karen that is awesome. I pushed myself too today despite being off earlier. I did my yoga and I did the walk at home 1 mile aerobic walk straight after too with warm up and cool down. Tired and sweaty but feels good to be able to do an hour like that. Of course DH and DS are not in so that made it easier to fit in! I also did my nails today toes and fingers and realised I could bend to my toes rather than try and grab my pant leg and drag a foot towards me using the poof to balance on. Yay. And I watched a few episodes of David Tenant as Doctor Who, what a man, so great me day!

Happy 1 monthversary friends. x
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary, all! I'm so thankful for this group.

I'm not sure if I'm most proud of logging everything (good and bad) or of sticking to my walking home from work/going to the gym on days when it's been stormy. Both are totally new for me and I plan to keep it going!
    This morning hubby was hovering, trying to convince me to go out for a big brunch with him, and finally I just had to say, "Look, if you want to go eat, GO! I have a weigh in this week and need to stick to my plan." We really need to find new activities to do together that don't involve food!! I wish I could convince him to get in the pool with me, or at least come to the gym and he can work out while I swim.

I have this issue with my fiance a little bit. He's very encouraging of me, which I appreciate a TON, but I had a free 30 day pass for the gym that he could have used and he's not interested. He's also ALWAYS wanting to buy and eat junk. He's rather skinny, so it's not like he has the same needs that I do, but I know he's not in good shape, either. I will say that yesterday he went on a walk with me, which was lovely. I'm hoping to go on a nice looooong walk with him tomorrow!

I hope you all enjoy your weekends!
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Had a fairly good day. I grabbed a protein bar on the way out and picked up a chocolate milk at the gas station for my breakfast. Thankfully it kept me nice and full well in to the afternoon, but because I went os late with my client I was ravenous when I left and had to stop for something. Their were probably better choices (ok it was a burger) I could have made but I logged it and it fit, and since i ate so late i only ate part of dinner (i would have skipped but I felt bad as he had cooked). That fit too so I wont go over today and I still have my walk to do, plus theirs a new episode of Friday Night Comedy from the bbc on my podcast app so at least I can walk and laugh (and get all those wonderful looks for bursting out laughing to myself).
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Happy Saturday my dear friends and a very happy anniversary to all of us. I'm checking in via my phone, trying not to use too much of my data. I'm so glad I found this fantastic group made up of such awesome people. It's so wonderful to know I'm not alone.

The thing I'm proudest of is that the current streak I'm on has been a very honest one. I havent just logged on to get credit for logging in, I have logged everything that has gone past my lips. The last 3 weeks my weight has been up, but I'm not going to let myself cave to self - sabotage. Thank you so much Patrick for talking me down off the ledge. Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend. I'll check in as often as I can.

Your doing a great job and i'm glad I could help. Next time you decide to build one of those walls and take a peak over just invite me up and we will have a look together. I'll have one of those weeks soon enough so don't you worry.
  • PatrickB_87
    Options

I'm going to try to disconnect from my phone and computer today and catch up on life. Hugs to you all... be fabulous!
    Karen

It's hard to get someone to exercise with you especially if they don't enjoy what it is you enjoy. Thats the hard thing about exercise, for it to work you have to get some enjoyment out of it to stick with it. I know you want to move away from food activities but perhaps you can make the ones you have healthier. Perhaps you can cook together, plan the meal, go shopping and cook it together. Perhaps go together each week to the farmers market (stay away from the backed good... oh the brownies), great walking and choosing good produce. You could go on walks together, perhaps choosing local parks or trails to make it more interesting then a stroll around the neighborhood. Do you both like biking, a nice bike ridge together might be fun, a little hand holding. If you don't care what the neighbors thing perhaps a tandem bike.
  • KarenZen
    Options

Karen

It's hard to get someone to exercise with you especially if they don't enjoy what it is you enjoy. Thats the hard thing about exercise, for it to work you have to get some enjoyment out of it to stick with it. I know you want to move away from food activities but perhaps you can make the ones you have healthier. Perhaps you can cook together, plan the meal, go shopping and cook it together. Perhaps go together each week to the farmers market (stay away from the backed good... oh the brownies), great walking and choosing good produce. You could go on walks together, perhaps choosing local parks or trails to make it more interesting then a stroll around the neighborhood. Do you both like biking, a nice bike ridge together might be fun, a little hand holding. If you don't care what the neighbors thing perhaps a tandem bike.

Rat, thanks so much for your thoughtful suggestions! I should have clarified--we used to do lots of activities together--biking, hiking, walking on the beach, kayaking, sailing, etc. Since I got Still's disease, I've become less and less mobile and gained so much weight that our default activity has been eating out. I went from one cane to two to a rolling walker to crutches in the past two years. Having Still's is like having the flu all the time (Fever, debilitating fatigue, sore throat, and chills) plus having glass shards in your joints. Most days my knees, ankles, hips, shoulders, and wrists feel like they are being crushed in a vice. That's why I do all my exercise in the pool.

Hopefully once I lose the weight, I can look at some joint replacement surgeries and regain some mobility. Hopefully some researchers will come up with a cure or better treatment . In the meantime, we make do. I take a lot of vicodin and prednisone, we entertain friends and play cards and board games, and we muddle through what is a very crappy situation.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Actually, while I have a captive audience, if anyone wants to learn more about Still's (technically Adult Onset Still's Disease), Here's a link to the international Still's disease foundation website. It's such a rare disease that one of the problems is frequent misdiagnosis (or going years with no diagnosis), and because it can affect organs and lead to liver failure or a ruptured spleen, heart attack or fluid in the lungs, it can quickly kill if not treated

Ten years ago when I first got sick, I went months without a diagnosis and was bedridden. I finally found an online photo of the rash I kept getting and asked my doc to test me for Still's markers. She'd never heard of it. Today, I try to spread the word so people at least know what it is and can suggest it if they see the symptoms!
    http://www.stillsdisease.org/index.php/stills-info/
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Rat, thanks so much for your thoughtful suggestions! I should have clarified--we used to do lots of activities together--biking, hiking, walking on the beach, kayaking, sailing, etc. Since I got Still's disease, I've become less and less mobile and gained so much weight that our default activity has been eating out. I went from one cane to two to a rolling walker to crutches in the past two years. Having Still's is like having the flu all the time (Fever, debilitating fatigue, sore throat, and chills) plus having glass shards in your joints. Most days my knees, ankles, hips, shoulders, and wrists feel like they are being crushed in a vice. That's why I do all my exercise in the pool.

Hopefully once I lose the weight, I can look at some joint replacement surgeries and regain some mobility. Hopefully some researchers will come up with a cure or better treatment . In the meantime, we make do. I take a lot of vicodin and prednisone, we entertain friends and play cards and board games, and we muddle through what is a very crappy situation.

Hi Karen, I did write that and then remembered your mobility issues from the disease. It really does kill off the options. Like you said hopefully one day you can do all those things again, and thats part of the journey, so you can have those options when you reach your goal. Anything that he likes to do that you can also do physically?
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Had no real desire to do my walking tonight and then noticed that Dee was pulling ahead on the fitbit sight so around 9:30 pm i was able to drag myself outside and set off for a nice 4mile walk. I really didn't want to do it but feel much better now that I have. Plus it let me have a nice lemonade afterwords.

I'll be walking a 5k for fathers day, he will be running it, so it's nice to know that shouldn't be an issue for me.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Had no real desire to do my walking tonight and then noticed that Dee was pulling ahead on the fitbit sight so around 9:30 pm i was able to drag myself outside and set off for a nice 4mile walk. I really didn't want to do it but feel much better now that I have. Plus it let me have a nice lemonade afterwords.

I'll be walking a 5k for fathers day, he will be running it, so it's nice to know that shouldn't be an issue for me.

Wow! Congrats on both of these victories! It's awesome that you and Dee have some friendly competition going on. I have a Nexercise group that does the same for me, but I wish fitbit could record swimming!

Your dad must be very proud of your efforts--nice celebration! I wonder if you'll be jogging part of that 5k by father's day.