NSV!

Options
jkern9110
jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
During my high school years, Hollister, American Eagle, and Aeropostale were all the rage. When I would enter these stores with my normal size friends, I always felt like strangers would question my presence. I imagined them thinking, "Why are you even in here, there's no way you can fit in to any of these clothes." I desperately wanted to wear the colorful tees and hoodies that my friends were wearing. I would casually wander over to the mens section in hopes that maybe a mens XL would some how fit, just so that I could own a piece of clothing from a brand my friends could wear...that I could wear anything that wasn't from the plus size stores that made me look like I shared a closet with my grandma. But I never could even fit the largest of the mens apparel. These past few years, when my boyfriend would shop at these stores, I would always follow him around very closely so that the other store patrons wouldn't dare think I was in there trying to shop for myself.

Well this weekend, my boyfriend and I entered one of these stores whilst on a little shopping adventure. I, immediately, found myself in front of a display of women's colorful tees and hoodies. Out of curiosity, I found and held up an XL. I was shocked that it looked similar to some of the other size shirts I had been purchasing. I grabbed a few shirts and a pink hoodie that I had always dreamed of wearing and headed to the fitting room. As I pulled the tee over my head, I held my breath. Once on, I looked in the mirror and exhaled a deep breath and a huge smile erupted across my face. It fit! I was so happy, that I was doing a little happy dance in the dressing room. Although the clothes seem a bit juvenile to me now, I bought a tee and hoodie anyway. I'll likely never go outside in the hot pink hoodie (especially not in this weather in Texas right now), but I'll wear that thing all over my house. I even slept in it last night...just because I could!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome, and a HUGE NSV! I know when I was first able to get into "normal" sizes, it was the best feeling! This weekend I went to Victoria's Secret to buy panties and I thought for sure people would be looking at me like, what is SHE doing shopping in here? But they didn't... and I bought some panties and they FIT! So I totally get the feeling of being able to shop in a store you couldn't shop at before surgery! It's a great feeling and you have worked hard to get where you are and you deserve to be ecstatic!
  • ujuoba
    ujuoba Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    With great delight I was able to toss out the catalogue for plus woman's apparel!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    YOU THREE ARE AWESOME!!!! What a great feeling that must be. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am soooooooo excited to have these experiences!! I know just losing the pre-op weight, I 'm fitting into clothes that a month ago were a little sketchy... LOL. Congrats, and Yay for US!!!! :drinker:
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome, and a HUGE NSV! I know when I was first able to get into "normal" sizes, it was the best feeling! This weekend I went to Victoria's Secret to buy panties and I thought for sure people would be looking at me like, what is SHE doing shopping in here? But they didn't... and I bought some panties and they FIT! So I totally get the feeling of being able to shop in a store you couldn't shop at before surgery! It's a great feeling and you have worked hard to get where you are and you deserve to be ecstatic!

Shopping in a Victoria's Secret" was my latest NSV as well. What a difference a foundation that fits makes! Double bonus when it makes you feel beautiful!
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until I am that far! I haven't been able to shop in a regular size section or store in over ten years! I'm tired of BFS on plus size clothes!! (BFS stands for Big Flower Syndrome lol)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome feeling isn't it! You are doing great!!! :happy:
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    Just because you can! I love it and congratulations. It does feel good doesn't it?
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Big Flower Syndrome!! THAT is GREAT!!!! And sadly, so true!!!!! Soon to be BSF no more!!!! :happy:
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Congrats jkern :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: and to all of you who have had these post op experiences.:flowerforyou: I can't wait till a few weeks after my surgery when I can pull out clothes from my closet that are too tonight or that didn't fit well enough to wear in public, and the clothes that were gonna fit when I lost the weight on my own but it never happened.
    By the way, what does NSV stand for? It is Never Say Never? :smile:
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great NSV's ladies! I would venture that the internal happiness is shining through making you look and feel even better. It's a great "upwards cycle" to be in. Keep up the great work!!
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    Yay!