help

Options
hi I'm going to have my surgery this coming monday I'm so scared can someone give me input on it and also how long you need to recover before going back to the gym..

Replies

• relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my surgery yet, mine is still a few months away. But everyone on the site says to listen to your Doctor. A lot of people are very tired and weak after surgery and because you can not take in many calories you don't have much energy.
    Plus the inside of your stomach is healing and you wouldn't want to overdo it by straining it.
    I'm sure people will post who have already had the surgery and share their experience with you.
    Walking is the best exercise post-exercise and they will even have you doing some walking in the hospital to increase strength and circulation and help prevent blood clots. Best of luck to you. :smile:
  • DeniseNCC1701
    DeniseNCC1701 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Please discuss your concerns and fears with your surgeon, they are the best source of information for you right now.

Having said that, my own experience went fairly smooth. The procedure took a couple of hours. I had difficulty breathing and had a lot of pain in the recovery room. Attentive nurses and frequent shots of painkillers in the IV kept me in a nice state of la-la land. I went home the following afternoon. I was tired and weak for a few days after that. I couldn't take more more than a few sips of water or broth. My chest hurt and I still had trouble breathing. It was a result of my core muscles being all stretched out from the procedure. Heating pads did wonders. I tried to walk around the block daily. My surgery was on a Monday, and by Friday I was starting to feel a little better, and that weekend, I felt my old self returning. I saw the surgeon 10 days after surgery, and much to my surprise, he cleared me to do whatever exercise routine I wanted. That weekend, 12 days post-op, I went deep sea fishing and the following week I started boot camp. Now, 3 months later, I am feeling well. I have some bowel issues, which my doctors tell me will work itself out over time.

I believe I am in the minority with my recovery. From what I've read, many doctors don't allow strenuous exercise for a couple of months. I have been very lucky so far.

You'll get terrific feedback from the members here, and it's always good to get a good selection of inputs, but please take some time to also discuss your concerns with your bariatric team.

Be well…
  • tompkinsw
    tompkinsw Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My surgery is Monday, also. I'm nervous and excited, but mostly...scared that I won't be a good loser! Other than that, I'm going to take it one day at a time, follow my doc's orders, and I'm sure he'll let me know when I'm able to do more strenuous exercising than just walking.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to the gym before surgery. I was kind of a slow starter when it comes to exercise. I began walking pre-op, up to an hour at a time. I walked post-op as much as I could tolerate, (I have hip displasia, so that's not a ton.) I think it was about 2 months out when I hopped back on my elliptical and 3 months out when I replaced it with a stationary bike as the elliptical was causing the hip displasia to flare. Today, I'm up at 4:30 am every morning on the bike and have added some strength training, push ups, free weights, crunches a couple times per week.
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    Please discuss your concerns and fears with your surgeon, they are the best source of information for you right now.

Having said that, my own experience went fairly smooth. The procedure took a couple of hours. I had difficulty breathing and had a lot of pain in the recovery room. Attentive nurses and frequent shots of painkillers in the IV kept me in a nice state of la-la land. I went home the following afternoon. I was tired and weak for a few days after that. I couldn't take more more than a few sips of water or broth. My chest hurt and I still had trouble breathing. It was a result of my core muscles being all stretched out from the procedure. Heating pads did wonders. I tried to walk around the block daily. My surgery was on a Monday, and by Friday I was starting to feel a little better, and that weekend, I felt my old self returning. I saw the surgeon 10 days after surgery, and much to my surprise, he cleared me to do whatever exercise routine I wanted. That weekend, 12 days post-op, I went deep sea fishing and the following week I started boot camp. Now, 3 months later, I am feeling well. I have some bowel issues, which my doctors tell me will work itself out over time.

I believe I am in the minority with my recovery. From what I've read, many doctors don't allow strenuous exercise for a couple of months. I have been very lucky so far.

You'll get terrific feedback from the members here, and it's always good to get a good selection of inputs, but please take some time to also discuss your concerns with your bariatric team.

Be well…

Wow on the exercise clearance. I am 9 days post and will see the doc today. I would love to be cleared to do more than walk. We shall see!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was told 6 weeks at least and then start with gentle swimming or walking on the treadmill. Far better to go slow and steady and build strength than to damage anything and set yourself back. Now I excercise all he time and am dreading being in plaster for 6 weeks in July and August because I won't be able to excercise!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym person, so for me it was all about getting back to walking, which you do immediately. I've a had a lot of surgery in my life and this was actually one of the easiest to recover from. I was off all pain meds within a couple of days. My surgery was a Thursday morning, I was walking that afternoon and went home Sunday morning.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    ** Always check with your Dr first as everyones situation is different**

For me - walking immediately. In gym on treadmill at one-month, at two months light weights for everything except core. At 4 months started heavy training with a personal trainer. If you can afford it a PT is the best way to go as they will guide you to a program tailored to your needs.

Without question - getting into the gym and strength training was the best thing I could have done to help me make the most of my new "tool". I did not lose muscle and am developing a strong and fit body.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    i'm having surgery tomorrow, my doc said I could go back to pilates in a month, and walking right away.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I was told 6 weeks at least and then start with gentle swimming or walking on the treadmill. Far better to go slow and steady and build strength than to damage anything and set yourself back.

This is exactly how my doctor see's it. Initially it was walking, walking, and more walking (although at that point I couldn't walk 1/4 mile.) At six weeks post, I was joining Planet Fitness which I used religiously for about 6 months, now it is more hit or miss, but I am doing a lot more outside activity.

Don't push it without a doctor's blessing! Believe me, the weight is going to peel off pretty quickly if that is your concern, but DO get into the gym when you can to keep as much muscle as possible.

Good luck Monday. In six months you will probably be wondering why you waited. :drinker:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Get a pedometer. I love my fitbit flex. If you get between 8000-10000 steps a day you will do great. I try to do at least 2 20 minute walks a day during the week and have an active weekend-swimming, hiking, 5k run/walk etc.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best with your surgery Ujj7. :smile: :flowerforyou:
    Looking forward to your posts when you are up to posting after your initial recovery and have some of your strength back. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I felt fine 2 or 3 days after my surgery. I drove myself to the grocery store on post-op day 4 because I was bored. I was back to work at around the 10-day mark (12 hour shifts, desk job).

My surgeon cleared me to do cardio at 2 weeks and told me to listen to my body and increase as tolerated. I think I was back to doing the elliptical at the gym at 3 weeks. I was cleared to lift weights at 6 weeks, so I resumed my combination of cardio and lifting at that point.
  • cutty805
    cutty805 Posts: 54
    Options
    The first few hours right out of surgery sucked I'm not gonna lie, walking around was better then any pain meds they'll give you. I went home the next day and felt better each day and was cleared with no restrictions at two weeks. I was scared as hell going into my surgery and I hate being put under but the experience was quick and I am so happy with the results. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck with your surgery and hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am 16 days out, and have lost 20 pounds so far, so despite hating hemodialysis this was one of the best decisions I have ever made. ohhh cripes, btw I was on dialysis at home prior to surgery it was not caused by the surgery. Your going to do fine.:smile: