Icing - argh!

Options
funkygas
funkygas Posts: 191 Member
Who would have thought that simple icing mixture contained wheat? I was making some icing (frosting) for some cookies and had a spoonful of the leftovers (as you do), started to feel a little crook and then looked at the packet of icing sugar. Turns out it was icing mixture, not pure icing sugar. Haven't been feeling very well since ...:grumble:

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    :sick: :cry: :sick: EVERYTHING must be checked out including supplements, medications, lipsticks, etc.... If you bake, don't forget about the baking powder too. Hope you feel better soon...
    Liana
  • GillaMahogany
    GillaMahogany Posts: 133
    Options
    If you have celiac then you even have to watch your soap, shampoo, lotion etc. Wheat makes such a great thickener/filler, and cheap too, it's literally in everything. I've even found it in bottled fruit juice and sunblock. I've had doctors prescribe medicine with gluten in it, multiple times. A nurse tried to feed me a piece toast when I was stoned on anesthesia drugs. Trust nothing and no one when it comes to gluten, and never put anything in your mouth without checking.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    If you have celiac then you even have to watch your soap, shampoo, lotion etc. Wheat makes such a great thickener/filler, and cheap too, it's literally in everything. I've even found it in bottled fruit juice and sunblock. I've had doctors prescribe medicine with gluten in it, multiple times. A nurse tried to feed me a piece toast when I was stoned on anesthesia drugs. Trust nothing and no one when it comes to gluten, and never put anything in your mouth without checking.

Yeah, this sounds about right. We're lucky in our house. My daughter is only intolerant. We don't have to buckle down so hard with the soaps and things. But as far as groceries go, my grocery shopping motto is, "Trust nothing, verify everything." It's difficult, but it is what it is. Eventually, we've come to know most of the products to avoid, or to pick up.

When you're not diligent, there's always something that can trip you up. Once I grabbed a new type of probiotic drink. There were 2 kinds on the shelf, one of which had a big "GLUTEN FREE" sign on it. So I grabbed it. I thought. Actually, I grabbed the container WITHOUT the gluten free sign on it. And didn't notice till a week later, while my daughter was having problems again. I felt so VERY guilty.

Once my wife made some rice noodles for our daughter, then grabbed a packet of broth mix from the ramen noodles package. Not the noodles themselves, just the little broth packet. Luckily, I caught it. Who knew beef flavored broth would have wheat in it? Not my wife - she thought she was safe avoiding the noodles. NOPE!

Wheat and gluten are everywhere. And most of America doesn't know, doesn't understand, or doesn't care. So it's up to you. Trust nothing, verify everything.

And may I recommend: Make a whipped ganache - melted chocolate chips and cream, cooled and whipped with a mixer or kitchen aide. Best Frosting, EVER.
  • Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We've found that there is now no such thing as a simple shopping trip as I'm not trusting *anything* any more. I even check cleaning products for the house.

Unfortunately I'm still recovering after a meal at the future in laws on Sunday and I know they work very hard to not have gluten so I'm not sure what slipped in but my bruised stomach can not be trusted, the headaches are back and my eczema is making my hand a ball of intensely itchy fire.

Days like to day make me wish I could just cook my own meals and not let anyone else go near the kitchen but bringing prepared meals to their house would be one step off declaring war.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I make everything from scratch and I have a 3 Times Rule:
    1. Read the label (on every single thing) AT the store.
    2. Read the label as I'm putting it away.
    3. Read the label before I cook/eat it.
    It's so frustrating to get home and realize that I bought something wrong :/. I mostly stick to whole foods anymore just so I don't have to worry about them.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I make everything from scratch and I have a 3 Times Rule:
    1. Read the label (on every single thing) AT the store.
    2. Read the label as I'm putting it away.
    3. Read the label before I cook/eat it.
    It's so frustrating to get home and realize that I bought something wrong :/. I mostly stick to whole foods anymore just so I don't have to worry about them.

Also, while you are at the store and reading the label...phone the 1-800 number on the side and ask the big gluten questions... Saves a lot of anxiety, and sometimes the taking it home too.