Pre Fresh Meat

Options
I'm on the waiting list for my local team at the moment, although they don't know yet when they'll next have a fresh meat intake. I've just asked them about joining as an NSO while I'm waiting, so I can learn the rules properly (rather than my fuzzy following of it from watching bouts!) and get to know the team.
I want to get into derby shape before the fresh meat intake, so I can be fighting fit and ready to go. My birthday is in May, and I've asked for skates and the rest of the kit, so I can at least get back on wheels (not skated since I was a kid!) and get the feel for that part on my own. What else should I be doing?
What's the best cross-training for derby that I could be doing now to make the training easier on me? I'd rather just be learning to play derby, not frantically trying to up my fitness at the same time, so I can keep up!

Replies

• archintrain
    archintrain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    I just started practicing... and the one thing that is tough for me... is my endurance... I am not sure how in shape you are (I am not in shape at all.. I sit at a desk for work.. and did not get much exercise) ...but that is what I am struggling with... I wished that I would have started walking/jogging/anything to get me used to being this active again.. as silly as that sounds..
  • MeanieD
    MeanieD Posts: 79
    Options
    My endurance went through the roof when I started swimming. That's what I used to suggest to all of my girls I coached on the fresh meat team.
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a fresh meat coach for my league and I tell my skaters that anything that gets their heart pumping will benefit them, whether it's running, swimming, or whatever! Also the more skating you do the better, so visit your local rink and get some wheels on your feet! When you get your skates, get some outdoor wheels and take advantage of sunny days and skate at the park, around your neighborhood, find an empty basketball or tennis court and just skate! Good luck with joining your league--and feel free to add me as a friend if you want--I love talking derby, and also love the way everyone here helps keep motivation up!
    Dani
  • Mistress986
    Mistress986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Right before I first started, I did a lot of lunges, walking lunges and squats. It still didn't prepare me for my first month of derby. I wasn't in good shape then so it was just all around challenging.

Now, I feel like any other workouts help. Running seems to really help my endurance. I upped my running and was able to get my 27/5. I still do 15-30 squats a day and different types of lunges 2-3 times a week.