Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Good and bad news

kerrieward77
kerrieward77 Posts: 15 Member
Good news first, my surgery was approved by my insurance today. June 24th is the big day. I'm so excited.

Bad news, I injured my knee in February and just made time for an MRI. It seems as though my limping is caused by a torn ACL, meniscus and a chronic sprain of my MCL. I need to have surgery to fix it, but I'm scared it will interfere with my progress after surgery. I can't do much now, but I'm afraid total immobility will be terrible. I'll be discussing it with both surgeons this week.

Has anyone else had orthopedic surgery after VSG? Did it hinder your weight loss progress?

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    First up you will not be totally immobile after knee surgery. In fact you should start rehab almost immediately. If you have VSG in June and do the knee late summer/early fall you will be in great shape. Losing the weight will take the pressure off the knee which will help when you start the rehab.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    First up you will not be totally immobile after knee surgery. In fact you should start rehab almost immediately. If you have VSG in June and do the knee late summer/early fall you will be in great shape. Losing the weight will take the pressure off the knee which will help when you start the rehab.

Excellent advice!

Also, I was sleeved 1/27, diagnosed with a partially torn Achilles tendon in early April. No weight bearing exercise allowed. With the exception of this past week, I have continued to lose steadily. According to my NUT, 80% of weight loss is diet. :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member

Excellent advice!

Also, I was sleeved 1/27, diagnosed with a partially torn Achilles tendon in early April. No weight bearing exercise allowed. With the exception of this past week, I have continued to lose steadily. According to my NUT, 80% of weight loss is diet. :)

Yes. Your results will be 80% because of your diet. Now, at almost 8 months out and having established an exercise routine, I realize that it makes me feel better, and allows me more "fudge factor" in my diet while still allowing me to lose. It is NOT the main reason I've lost or continue to lose the weight. Your recovery from knee surgery will be so much easier with weight loss!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I seem to collect injuries, knee, hip, back, etc. So my exercise is sporadic at best and I am still losing. I am almost 3 years out now, so my weight loss is very, very slow and that's normal for this far out. Point is, your weight loss may slow down, but it won't stop when you get your knee fixed. And like everyone else said, the weight loss is only going to help your injury heal faster and better.
  • kerrieward77
    kerrieward77 Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks everyone! I see both surgeons next week, so I'll figure it out then. :smile: