egg substitutes

Options
earthboundmisfit
earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
I've seen lots of recipes that call for eggs as a binder. Does anybody know of a vegan substitute? I know that there are egg replacers available to use in baked goods, but don't think they would work for things like mock meatloaf.

Replies

• holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ground flax seed mixed with warm water.

Here's a run-down I found (though I've never refrigerated it): http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2011/10/how-to-make-a-flax-egg-for-vegan-baking-the-right-way/

Here are a lot of links: https://www.google.com/#q=ground+flaxseed+as+egg+substitute
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    1 tb ground flaxseed 3 tb water. Start with flax and add water. Then mix and let set 5-15 mins till it thickens

OR

1 tb ground chia seed 3 tb water. Start with chia and add water. Then mix and let set 5-15 mins till it thickens

Have had luck with both

ps: You will have to mill/grind the chia as I don't think it is sold ground
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will try those.:smile:
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not sure about meatloaf, but for baking I use 1/4 c of applesauce per egg. Keeps cakes moist.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can also use cornstarch or potato starch, apple puree or peanut butter for sweet recipes.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i didnt grow up with meatloaf so ive never been compelled to cook it... so ive no idea what the egg would be for... but the book i learned to cook from... louise hagler's farm cookbook... has a recipe... and all her recipes are vegan... at least in that book.... its made with lentils onions oil rice garlic powder salt bbq sauce/ketchup sage marjoram.... the commercial egg replacer is mostly tapioca and potato starch.... so for breading (breaded tofu, mushrooms, eggplant, etc...) i make a solution of corn starch and water.... other people use soysauce but the saltiness gets too much for me in the cooking....tempura i think is done in a similar way....

alot of people used to use arrowroot... but i think its the same idea as cornstarch
    You can also use cornstarch or potato starch, apple puree or peanut butter for sweet recipes.

I now understand why my housemate used to mix peanut butter into mashed tofu salad, and wheat gluten (aka "seitan") veggie burgers... I never understood what that was there for....
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Could also be because peanut butter is so yummy... :) That's why I never have it around the house because if I did I'd be enormous.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It really depends on recipes what you replace eggs with. I don't use one thing because each has it's plus's and minus's In some recipes I use a commercial egg replacer (I like Orgran). Other recipes if it's just a case of binding I may use some soya cream or applesause (I make my own). If the egg is needed for rising I use either a commercial egg replacer or a tablespoon of cider vinegar and a teaspoon of Barcarbonate of soda mixed (which is an old wartime method). I've also started using the Vegg a vegan egg yolk in certain things.

It's more of a case of trial and error I have a friend who seems to get certain methods to work better than me and I can get other methods to work better than her. Play around a bit and try and just think about the purpose of the egg in the recipe you're trying to adapt. I've found after 15 years there really is hardly any recipe that you cannot replace the egg with something that does the job just as well.

Good luck and have fun and remember you will fail at points but it's all learning
  • Voww
    Voww Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use silken tofu blended smooth with a little soya (or nut, oat, rice, coconut) milk, makes lovely light cakes and binds a nut loaf, veg burgers ok too. I cut a block of Morinu into six portions and use one for two eggs, freeze the rest and thaw a portion a few hours before using. The texture changes a bit after freezing but cooks up the same.