Harrowing or Funny “dismounts” from your bike

Options
KaktusJaque
KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
Just wanted to see what stories you may want to share about becoming detached from your bike.

My favorite is when I first started riding a bike which was when I was very young. The training wheels came off and I was free to ride finally. The problem with the children’s bikes at the time is the pedals always moved if the bike was in motion, and there were no brakes. I guess the manufactures just figured little kids just would not go fast enough to require brakes. In any case we lived near the top of a hill, being that I did not have the luxury of experience yet, I went to the top of the hill and started down. Well momentum quickly got the best of my pedals and before no time my feet came off. With the cranks now spinning rather fast, there was no way to get my feet back on the pedals, and no hand brake. I realized that I was now in a serious situation and did the only thing I could and that was start screaming like a banshee! About half way down the hill I tried to make a left turn on a side street. I didn’t quite make the turn, hit a curb and went flying through the air only to land a few feet away from a brick wall. Luckily there was plenty of grass to break my fall. At the time it was quite harrowing I'm here to tell you, but looking back it's comical. I don't think I took a breath to continue screaming, so is was one constant scream all the way. I've had very few “dismounts” from my road bike, can't even remember one. But as any MTB rider would know, there are plenty of those for sure, at least in my crowd.

Replies

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'd laugh, but I can't stop imagining your story from a "Dad with young kids point-of-view" -- running like mad to save him :-O

Well, for me, I guess the worst thing was when I tried rollers for the first time. Much like this guy...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2tF0tK7P_s
  • paulaberry1984
    paulaberry1984 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So far I've escaped doing the classic "fall over while stopped because you unclipped the wrong pedal", but I am pretty infamous in my riding group for dismounting on the wrong side (ie, downhill) and going *kitten*-over-teakettle down cliffs and embankments.

Fortunately my falls have been cushioned by the blackberry vines and nettles that grow everywhere around here...
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    Well Achoon, it just so happens, that is exactly what happened, My dad chased after me.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My first ride out when I started riding with clipless. I did the classic forgot to unclip, came to a stop and the next thing I knew I was lying on my side. I laughed my *kitten* off at myself for the stupidity. Problem was it took me a number of times to realise that if I didn't want to be lying on the road I need to unclip sooner. ????????
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi all, new here.

So I rode my new bike, with SPD's and new cleated shoes, for the first time tomorrow. Only time I've ridden a road bike was when I tried it out at the shop.

You'd think my drama would be pedal/shoe related. I think that's still to come.

I nearly planted into the back of a van because I was admiring the scenery, and hadn't realised it'd stopped dead. I had somehow ended up holding the bars at the top in a traditional sort of grip, and couldn't reach the brakes. Took me a vital few seconds and a bit of a precarious wobble to get my hands on the brakes in time, and then only had a fraction of a second left to unclip my feet. Miraculously, I managed that bit fine. First near miss! Lesson learnt...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Last crash was a couple of years ago - mixture of impatience and incompetence.

Was riding down a narrow road that had a tailback of cars waiting to go through a width restriction, decided to use the deserted pavement to avoid the queue. Just had to hop up a tiny kerb. Mis-timed my hop and hit the kerb at too shallow an angle - front wheel snapped to the side and I launched over the handlebars at a decent speed.

As I used to race motorbikes for many years I instinctively switched to crash mode - talking yourself through it to minimise the damage.
    "Don't stick out your hand, roll with the impact, don't stick out your hand, roll with the impact......"

Landed like a sack of s**t.
    Took a big chunk out of my glove where I stuck out my hand, displaced my collarbone from not rolling with the impact.

Guess I'm out of practice at crashing.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Whilst going off road last year, I was bombing downhill and came across a corner. I hadn't scrubbed enough speed up, so as I went around the right hand bend, I mounted the tree to my left. It was that moment I realised that I'd unclipped quite efficiently as I fell off the bike, leaving the bike happily perched in the tree about 5 foot in the air.

Without thinking, I pulled it down, and carried on.

And realised that would have been an ace photo.

I'd be ****ed if I was going to attempt that again.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    First time ever on a ten speed (yes, it was the 80s) with hand brakes not a coaster brake and I'm flying down the block outside my house. Yeah, not realizing how hand brakes work until AFTER you've ran into the telephone pole is equal parts emotionally and physically painful. But I learned.

Funniest one comes from a friend's point of view "one moment you were there, the next you were gone" On a "V" shaped gully, misjudged the pull up to bring the bike up, endo'd and was laying there laughing as he rolled up freaking out that I had doen something truly stupid.

For the gentleman out there I will leave out my encounter with the stem of MTB thanks to a hidden pothole...you should not have bruising in that particular area. Luckily it was a few inches to the right from near-catastrophic damage.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    You should see a cyclocross race. It's full of them. :bigsmile:
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    The first time I clipped-in on my MTB, I went out to a local trail that was nice and easy. I rode for over an hour and had no issues with the new shoes or pedals. I loved it. Until I rolled into the parking lot where at least 2 dozen other riders were standing. I stopped and tried to dismount and fell right over. No one would have really noticed if I hadn't yelled "FFFFF************KKKKKK" as I went down. Everyone turned and watched me bounce off the gravel. Good times!
  • drapisking
    drapisking Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was in a cross race a couple years ago and flatted towards the end of a lap. I grabbed the rear wheel off my buddy's bike and took off, but in the hustle we didn't adjust the gears at all. The start of the next lap I went to hop the curb onto the grass and the chain fell off, causing me to mistime the hop and yardsale into a group of customers watching the race. It took quite some time to live that one down.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I was in a cross race a couple years ago and flatted towards the end of a lap. I grabbed the rear wheel off my buddy's bike and took off, but in the hustle we didn't adjust the gears at all. The start of the next lap I went to hop the curb onto the grass and the chain fell off, causing me to mistime the hop and yardsale into a group of customers watching the race. It took quite some time to live that one down.

Hah...after you got up, I hope you said, "I meant to do that!"

cguvGcP.gif
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I can proudly say that aside from being run off the road by an a$$hat in a pickup truck, I've never taken a fall from my road bike, even when first getting used to clipless pedals. Mountain biking is quite the different story. I decided to give it my very first go last weekend...using a totally inappropriate hybrid bike, and mistakenly setting out on the "advanced" trail. I did great until I came to a big muddy section. Didn't have enough speed to slog through it, and went head first over the handlebars and into the mud with my bike landing on my back. It was great fun!! The lesson here...time to buy a new mountain bike :drinker:
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    The first time I clipped-in on my MTB, I went out to a local trail that was nice and easy. I rode for over an hour and had no issues with the new shoes or pedals. I loved it. Until I rolled into the parking lot where at least 2 dozen other riders were standing. I stopped and tried to dismount and fell right over. No one would have really noticed if I hadn't yelled "FFFFF************KKKKKK" as I went down. Everyone turned and watched me bounce off the gravel. Good times!

The visual in my minds eye for this story made me laugh just a bit.....sorry about that kenneth
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    I can proudly say that aside from being run off the road by an a$$hat in a pickup truck, I've never taken a fall from my road bike, even when first getting used to clipless pedals. Mountain biking is quite the different story. I decided to give it my very first go last weekend...using a totally inappropriate hybrid bike, and mistakenly setting out on the "advanced" trail. I did great until I came to a big muddy section. Didn't have enough speed to slog through it, and went head first over the handlebars and into the mud with my bike landing on my back. It was great fun!! The lesson here...time to buy a new mountain bike :drinker:

Well what is Mountain Biking if you dont come back with mud on your head! :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Funny...

Well, I suppose the funniest (for people watching at least) was maybe 23 years or more ago - back when I was a keen time-trialist. The event was the "other" (i.e. not my local club, but our deadly (in a wildly competitive but non-violent way) rival) local club's "open-25" event, run on quite a tough hilly out and back course, which finished with a pretty serious uphill kick.

Now, I was really "on it" that day - this is just in the era of skinsuits, but before the tadpole helmets and tri-bars. I'd decided to go with my "funny bike" - the 700c Campag Disc and 7 speed 13-19 freewheel (yes FREEWHEEL!) and a 650c Shamal on the front - Cowhorns (and those novelty "tri-bars") 18c section Tubs running something stupid like 195psi... This was very nearly state of the art kit at the time.

Well - I went out there and absolutely mullered it. Passed my minute man before the turn in the road, my 2 minute man soon after and the 3 minute man with maybe a mile to go. All out for the last push - the HRM was beeping at me, I was right on my redline, and as I came up the final 200 yards of uphill I could feel the "tunnel vision" coming on. Crossed the line, shouted my number with the last bit of breath I could muster, and stopped pedalling.

Now, this road not only went uphill, but it was a rural road, with no hard kerb, and not a great deal of footpath to the side of it. As you may guess from my Nickname on here, I'm not exactly petite - even at that time I was nearer 185lb than you'd expect for a biker. Unfortunately, the "catcher" who'd been detailed to stop me falling off was around 5ft tall, and maybe 130lb dripping wet. I came to a stop, basically passed out on the bike, feet still double strapped into the clips. Fortunately I toppled to my left away from the road. Unfortunately the catcher wasn't man enough for the job of holding me upright, his feet slid from under him, and he fell into the ditch 6 feet down at the side of the footpath. Closely followed by a large and unconscious me, still strapped to the bike. Right on top of him. I'm happy to say I had a soft landing, and the bike didn't have a mark on it. It did however take about 8 people to get me out of there, and the Catcher ended up with 3 broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder from me landing like a sack of spuds on him from a great height.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Well - this story isn't about me personnally but I saw it all. This is one day I wish I had a head camera on as it didn't happen too long ago but it was probably the best reaction I've ever seen. It was totally YouTube worthy. My hubby hadn't been riding with dlips but for a day and we are on a group ride. We come up to a place in the trail where everyone was grouping up to decide who went where. My husband didn't unlcip quick enough before he stopped. Over the handle bars he went with the bike following him. He rolled on his back with the bike held above him and continued the roll onto his feet with the bike beside him. It was the most graceful flip I've ever seen and probably took about 15 seconds. Everyone saw it and everyone stopped talked to ask him if he was okay and to ask if he'd ever done that before. Smooth. Utterly smooth. I don't think I would look that graceful.