Initial consultation tomorror???

Options
bikermike5094
bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
I have my very first appointment tomorrow in this long process and i was wondering what questions i should ask? Any thoughts?

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    When can you get back on your motorcycle post op (your #1 thought I bet, LOL). My procedure was in October so I knew that was the end of my riding season for the year.
    Preop, postop diet progression
    How much do I need to lose before surgery?
    What tests will be done before surgery, EGD, heart, lung, etc
    What should your helper\assistance person expect the first few days post op
    What vitamins and when
    How big is the bourgie (device they use to size the sleeve) not that it matters and the docs technique has a lot to do with pouch size too, but some folks like to know.
    How many holes in my belly?
    Do they do a leak test after? Mine does one at the end of the procedure, but not the day after as some do.
    How long to ask off work
    I asked mine, what his stats were, anybody die? What were the circumstances?
    What are the habits of your most successful patients?
    Are there local support groups you can attend?
    What to bring\not to bring to the hospital
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    BikerChick,

great list of questions! I will add those to my list for when I see the surgeon Jun 11.

Thanks!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    YEP, im just going to print that out and go down the list! Thanks....
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Those are GREAT questions. Hopefully when you are at the consultation they will provide you with a schedule of dates/times for tests that need to be done, future appointments with the Drs., written instructions on what to do and what will happen/what to expect step by step from pre-surgery through post-surgery and guidelines on do's and don'ts for the remainder of your life. My surgeon and weight management team gives everyone a 3-ring binder and all the information is in the binder for your reference. She also gave me on online name/password to access a step-by-step video of the surgery from pre - post which is extremely in-depth and a great source of information, including side-effects, etc.

I hope your surgeon and weight management team provide you with all those materials. I referred to them constantly and still do upon occasion.

Here's to a great consult tomorrow.
  • shoerack45
    shoerack45 Posts: 30
    Options
    Best at your appointment - it's exciting! I have no more questions for you but I remember my first appointment and how happy I as to get started.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    How did your appointment go?