Excerise Plans

Hi my name is Kristen and I am having the sleeve done in July and I couldn't be more excited!!!! I fully understand that having this surgery is a TOOL not a solution....!!! That being said I know I have to eat right and start excerising. My question is, how much are you guys excerising a day/week? I hate running but I feel so GOOD after doing so!! I am so concerned about my skin not snapping back once I loose all my weight.... so I will do whatever I have to do to get my body to snap back!! I am 20 years old so my Dr. feels like my skin should be just fine as long as I excerise hard and and eat right! But I am still worried...and I want to know what are some of the excerise's you guys do on a daily bases?

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I have hip displasia so no impact exercise for me. I'd run if I could! I purchased a good quality exercise bike and spend the first hour of every work day on it doing hill intervals and watching whatever I'm currently obsessed with on Netflix. 450-600 calorie burn per the heart rate strap\Vivo Fit band depending on the day. I recently added some basic upper body stuff, push-ups, free weights, crunches to try and tone my arms and abs a bit.
  • Awesome!! Yes, I think I would enjoy a bike machine I absolutley hate my thighs!!! My thighs and my arms have to go!! Looking to find a good routine that i can keep up with every day before and after work!!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Whether or not your body will snap back is completely based on genetics. Nutrition and wt training will improve how your skin lays but not cure or prevent or fix anything. I am concerned about the way you talk about your body. What if your body does not snap back? What if you are covered in stretch marks and cellulite? What if your boobs shrivel up and become wrinkly with all your hard work? What if you are 100% healthier and look 10 yrs older? You are at this moment as an obese 20yr old woman an amazing and beautiful creation. You are so worthy of love. I was much like you at 20. I would speak viciously about my body. But my body was not failing me I was failing it. I finally fell in love with me about 2 yrs ago as a 253 lb obese 5'5" 43 yr old. I forgave myself for abusing myself for so many years. I stopped running to food to feel better about my life. Now I care for myself will great love and affection and speak kindly about my amazing body covered in stretch marks and wrinkles. I would never trade her. Nor would I trade the gift of what obesity taught me. It took me 38 yrs to learn the lesson, I am very hard headed. Given the choice I would ask God for the same life and body all over again because of the happiness I have finally made for myself. You are amazing and so worthy of love, affection and tenderness. Your love, affection and tenderness. Aside from light hiking, biking and swims I didn't start aerobic exercise until 5 months and a 170 wt due to bad hip and bad ankle. Now that I am 166 I try to do a light 20 min jog every day in addition to light biking, swimming and hiking. I keep my calories around 900. If I exercise I get a bit more. My food diary is open, feel free to look. God bless.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Establishing a routine is key. This is why I exercise at 4:30 am, BEFORE work, and before life gets in the way. That said, it's not the be-all end-all. I FEEL fantastic now. I can eat a bit more now and treat myself, (daily if it's small) and still meet my goals for nutrition and weight loss because I exercise. However, even though my primary exercise is biking, I'll probably never feel comfortable in shorts again. My legs are toned, but the loose skin and varicose veins left from carrying an excess of 80 pounds for 30 years have taken their toll. Is it THAT BAD? Probably not, but it bothers me enough to keep me in longer skirts and capris. Will I have surgery for it? Probably not. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY! Same with my arms. I wouldn't be caught dead in something sleeveless most of my life. Today, I have some loose skin on my arms. It bothers me some, but I'll wear tank tops now on occasion. I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I don't have a panus that will need to be removed to have my clothes fit right. Loose skin on my belly, yes, but it's not that bad. I look good and feel good in my clothes now and I have my health medication free, (Nearly, I still take Omeprazole 1xday and may always) . It's a fair trade for a bit of saggy skin in my book!
  • Whether or not your body will snap back is completely based on genetics. Nutrition and wt training will improve how your skin lays but not cure or prevent or fix anything. I am concerned about the way you talk about your body. What if your body does not snap back? What if you are covered in stretch marks and cellulite? What if your boobs shrivel up and become wrinkly with all your hard work? What if you are 100% healthier and look 10 yrs older? You are at this moment as an obese 20yr old woman an amazing and beautiful creation. You are so worthy of love. I was much like you at 20. I would speak viciously about my body. But my body was not failing me I was failing it. I finally fell in love with me about 2 yrs ago as a 253 lb obese 5'5" 43 yr old. I forgave myself for abusing myself for so many years. I stopped running to food to feel better about my life. Now I care for myself will great love and affection and speak kindly about my amazing body covered in stretch marks and wrinkles. I would never trade her. Nor would I trade the gift of what obesity taught me. It took me 38 yrs to learn the lesson, I am very hard headed. Given the choice I would ask God for the same life and body all over again because of the happiness I have finally made for myself. You are amazing and so worthy of love, affection and tenderness. Your love, affection and tenderness. Aside from light hiking, biking and swims I didn't start aerobic exercise until 5 months and a 170 wt due to bad hip and bad ankle. Now that I am 166 I try to do a light 20 min jog every day in addition to light biking, swimming and hiking. I keep my calories around 900. If I exercise I get a bit more. My food diary is open, feel free to look. God bless.

I love my body... I have stretch marks now and thats not the problem.... I just dont want to have another surgery is the issue.... i want it to just go away on its own but I know that might not happen....and if it doesnt it wont be the end of the world i would just be happier if It did....for a 20 year old and being big I am very confident in myself I just know I'd be alot happier if I didnt have to get skin surgery!! Thanks so much for the advice, I will go look at your food diary :)
  • Establishing a routine is key. This is why I exercise at 4:30 am, BEFORE work, and before life gets in the way. That said, it's not the be-all end-all. I FEEL fantastic now. I can eat a bit more now and treat myself, (daily if it's small) and still meet my goals for nutrition and weight loss because I exercise. However, even though my primary exercise is biking, I'll probably never feel comfortable in shorts again. My legs are toned, but the loose skin and varicose veins left from carrying an excess of 80 pounds for 30 years have taken their toll. Is it THAT BAD? Probably not, but it bothers me enough to keep me in longer skirts and capris. Will I have surgery for it? Probably not. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY! Same with my arms. I wouldn't be caught dead in something sleeveless most of my life. Today, I have some loose skin on my arms. It bothers me some, but I'll wear tank tops now on occasion. I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I don't have a panus that will need to be removed to have my clothes fit right. Loose skin on my belly, yes, but it's not that bad. I look good and feel good in my clothes now and I have my health medication free, (Nearly, I still take Omeprazole 1xday and may always) . It's a fair trade for a bit of saggy skin in my book!

Wow... well you look great!!! 4:30 a.m would be great for me, i am just going to have to drag myself out of bed before work!! It's not that loose skin would be a bad thing I just know being 20 years old i'd be a lot happier without it... but im excited to have the procedue done. And excited to find the exercise routine that I will stick with!! :) Thank you for the advice!!
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Hi, I try to exercise 4 times a week before work 4:00 a.m religiously and both weekend days around 6 a.m. I also walk on my two 15 min breaks at work and then walk/jog a couple nights a week after work. My routine is not really a routine I may do workout videos like Turbo jam, hip hop abs or just dance some mornings. Some mornings I may go to the gym and strength train and do stationary bike or elliptical. I try to work out an hour per session each morning. The weekend workouts are more for fun they include walking the nature trail and just dancing around the house. Dancing is a great to relieve stress and burn some good cals. Good luck. Hope I was able to help, friend me if you like.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I was so obese prior to surgery I couldn't do anything other than walk. At my age (late 50's) and with the arthritis and joint damage I have, walking and my pilates machine are about all I can do. I walk 6-7 days a week and try to get the pilates machine at least 2. At your age, you should be able to do a variety of things as the weight comes off that will help with the weight loss but also help with the excess skin. You will most likely be able to fill some of it back up with toned muscle,

Loose skin is a fact of life after WLS for some people, BUT, the younger you are and the less you have to lose, the more likely you are to have skin that will bounce back. I totally understand your concern/curiosity about it though. I'm not to goal yet but I am already dealing with a lot of excess skin. Truth is, it's not just an issue of what it looks like, it's also an issue of how hard it is to maintain and prevent ulcers and infection. I struggle with this daily. I am happy with how I look in clothes, but I do not like the look or all the movement in all the excess skin. And it's not a matter of body image for me. If I have to live with all this the rest of my life, I'm still so much better off than if I hadn't done the surgery. I didn't get into this to be model thin, I did it to be healthy and get my mobility back, and I did! Excess skin aside, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Most likely your doctor is right and you won't have a lot of excess skin to deal with. At your age you still have a lot of elasticity to help itbounce back. As long as your mind is in the right place about why you are doing this, that being healthy and active is more important than looking a certain way, you are on the right track.