June Challenge

Options
julieworley376
julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
I am starting this thread a day early as RatPat's comment on another thread really got me thinking. So here is the June Challenge.

Your challenge is to find new healthy foods to make a permanent part of your diet.. whatever eating program you are on. I want you to think in terms of what you can eat for the rest of your life and select foods with that in mind. So, if you really can't stand the thought of eating fat free food for the rest of your life, find ways to incorporate those foods into your plan but without sacrificing good nutrition.

I want you to be adventurous.. last week I tried rainbow chard.. it was okay, I don't think I would use it regularly. Go ahead and try something you have not tried before. But there is more to it. Because with this challenge comes research.

Research how to prepare that new fruit or vegetable. Research what is in that food, what good does it do your body? Is it full of cancer fighting antioxidants or does it have some other kind of beneficial property for you? Be mindful. I want you to really think about what you are putting in your body.

If you have donuts or candy or burgers.. I want to know what is in them that is good for you.. or bad for you.

I guess the June Challenge is about challenging ourselves, teaching each other, and seeing food in a new light.

Replies

• julieworley376
    Options
    I am going to start a day early with Avocado. Avocado's are pretty high in calories, but I love their creamy texture and flavor.

They contain 18 amino acids essential for the body and they are high in protein which is easier for the body to digest than steak. They are rich in HDL so raise good cholesterol which is good for the heart and they lower trigyceride levels. They are a great source of carotenoids which are good for eye health and boost the immune system. One of the primary acids in them protects against heart disease, they are a source of omega 3 AND an anti inflammatory that can help arthritis.

So, not only do I love the things they are fantastic for me in all kinds of ways.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Julie, I've always heard avocados were good for you (didn't know about the protein though) but have no idea what to do with them. I don't care for guacamole. How do you know which ones to buy at the store? How do you prepare them? What do you do with them?
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I really like this idea! I'm going to start with some of the foods on the night eating list and experiment with them this month. I also want to try making my own low carb crackers with almond flour, cheese, and different nuts, and I think I can mix in quite a few from this list.

Plantains
    Chinese cabbage
    Butternut
    Black walnuts
    English walnuts
    Shagbark hickory nuts
    Mocker nut
    Hickory nuts
    Sweet pignuts
    Soybeans
    Pumpkin seeds
    Sesame seeds
    Cheddar cheese
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think I will like this, the weekends I can get to the market I will try to pickup something new I haven't tried before. When I started working with my yoga coach and she was asking about foods i like and dislike I had to admit that the reason I may say i dislike a vegetable stems more from never really trying it or knowing how to cook it. So this is perfect to try and fallow through with that plan to try. It was allays my plan to try and learn to cook various vegetables so I can teach and learn about my foods. Plus it will help me get more veg in at dinner time.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Son of a gun! That reminds me! I got sushi for the party tonight and totally forgot to put t out. I hate seafood except tuna fish. I really want to try more fish...maybe.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    mikesgirl you can either buy Haas avocados ripe, in which case they will be completely black in color and slightly squishy when you press them. If you buy them like this they need to be refrigerated right away. If you buy them dark green leave them out on the counter until they turn color and then refrigerate them immediately.

I just slice down one side then twist the two halves, there is a large stone in the middle. The flesh should be a pale green with a darker green edge near the peel. I simply scoop out the innards with a spoon and put it on my salad, some people eat them right from the peel. Some people like to add some seasoning.. I would say research online what you can do with them and experiment to see what works for you.
  • debunny34
    debunny34 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge!! I will start researching foods and see what is out there that I haven't tried lol. I am an adventurer with food!! I have always loved trying different things!! LOL you should hear the kids when I cook a new thing, they are always asking if this is a new "Internet" recipe hahaha!! I am addicted to Allrecipes.com because I love trying new things. I think I will check out Lindas lowcarb recipes site again and see if there is a new good for you ingredient that I have never tried and go from there. For anyone who is interested in the low carb recipes, she has some good ones. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    Thanks Julie. I'll do some research on them.
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I like sliced avocado on turkey sandwiches, and in salads!

Also Julie, should we start a new June Challenge thread each day?

Ex. June challenge - Day 2, June Challenge - Day 3, ETC?

It's just an idea, that way we can go back and reference specific foods conversations.

Just an idea.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    I'm in but it's going to be a few days before I can really start. I did some looking into different foods that I haven't tried and got some really good ideas. I can't buy any of it though until the food stamps come in on the 6th. So after that I will begin working on trying at least a few new foods this month.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    I think I might have put too much emphasis on the new. I want you to look at ALL the foods you eat with the emphasis on healthy. Also I want to hear about those full fat yogurts etc. but how do you fit them in?

Sorry folks I will be dipping in and out. Our modem is broken at home and work is NUTS.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Shopping tomorrow--I'm going to add some new foods. Julie, I like the idea of trying new foods but b also old foods in New ways. Patrick puts fruit on his salads, and when I saw his photo I had to try strawberries in mine. Oh, YUM!!!

Hurry up and fix your modem--you are missed!!!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Did it and OMG, it was amazing! 315 calories for ALL OF THIS. I know it would have been healthier with brown rice but I couldn't find any. I was just happy to find some without any yucky mayo. Why does it have to be so expensive? I seriously could eat it everyday. Yum! Thank you for the challenge! I definitely like raw fish. Now if I can just get the cooked fish down.

C360_2014-06-02-19-50-26-666_zpsal4vozmd.jpg
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Today I tried a smoothie with frozen cucumbers in it. I wanted to try something new, so I did. To my surprise, it was actually really good! All together, it was like 5-6 servings of fruits/veggies for one smoothie, and only 260 calories. I also had a veggie lentil stew for lunch and minestrone and a salad for dinner, which still left me plenty of calories to have a slice of cake. I thought cutting the cake into 12 servings was ridiculous (in my house, a boxed cake might get you 8 servings if you're lucky), but I found that I actually didn't need anything else.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    One thing I have been considering is how to get the iron and potassium I am suppose to get. My numbers probably aren't something to worry about and besides my macros i try not to worry to much about the other numbers (lets not look at my sodium). But since this challenge is about new and/or healthy foods I thought I would look up some fruits and vegetables that might help me do a little better.

Here are my charts

bfgw34.png
    2z3v4vq.png

The USDA has a great database and part of it you can look up based on the nutrients you are looking for http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

I'll do some looking and report back.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    Kaliya.. in my house that boxed cake would have been cut into one.. blushes. I can't have sweet stuff in the house. Loving what I am seeing.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    angelic I thought about your idea. I think my concern is that we already have an everyday check in posted and we also have a June exercise challenge going too, I am worried that all those extra posts would bury other interesting postings here. But I am open to it if a lot of others would appreciate it and don't think it would detract from the board.
  • Kourui
    Kourui Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nice, it's already a good thing my husband and I set a similar goal for ourselves this week. We bought the veggies we don't like to give them ol' college try again to see if eating them in a different way would change our minds.

We bought cauliflower (my dislike), red chard (something new) and celery (both our dislike but more my husbands)
    Today I ate raw cauliflower then had it again steamed. My take away is that it's still tasteless raw but more edible steamed with herbs or spices. I had msg free chicken stock, pepper and powdered garlic.
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have arugula in the fridge to mix with my iceberg.

I have found roasting veges makes them way better imo. I have always loved parsnips, potatoes, carrots and sweet potatoes roasted. But I now know that beets, broccoli and cauliflower are great roasted, and the biggest surprise was brussel sprouts. Have always disliked those, but roasted in olive oil are quite yummy!
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Kaliya.. in my house that boxed cake would have been cut into one.. blushes. I can't have sweet stuff in the house. Loving what I am seeing.

When I said 8 servings, I meant 8 slices. The entire cake would've been gone in a day, *maybe* two if there was lots of other junk around! :)

~Kali in GA