6am Crossfit. Do you eat breakfast before?

Options
ashleearoha
ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
Hey guys. I am doing a 6am crossfit class tomorrow morning and I don't know if I should my oatmeal at 5am and have a protein smoothie afterwards or only have something light before it and eat breakfast after? I just want to get an idea of what you guys like to do before I spew all over the box tomorrow haha

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I work nights so I do the noon class and get up at 10:45 a.m. so while it's not the same, timing-wise, it is. I eat my oatmeal and my protein shake immediately upon rising. I am not the kind of person who can exercise fasted.

My protein shake is only a scoop of powder with coconut milk though. I actually drink it while I am driving to the WOD.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Nope. Breakfast after. I don't eat anything beforehand. Exercising with food in my stomach gives me heartburn.

I always CrossFit in the mornings, love it that way.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do the 6am class never eat before, but everyone is different, I prefer to workout in the morning and fasted. Best thing to do is try it see how you feel adjust accordingly.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I CrossFit @ 5am Mon thru Fri. I don't eat before I go. I have C4. I do make sure I have a good dinner with some sweet potato though which helps fuel my 5am workout.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do a 5:30 am CF class every weekday. I don't eat before my class, but I do have a serving of N.O. Explode Pre-workout powder on my way to the box (I know, I know, probably not the best stuff for you but I'm now addicted to the pump and caffiene jolt I get from it). I then have a post workout protein shake right after the workout. This combo keeps me satiated until late morning when I'll eat some eggs and greek yogurt....
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the mornings I usually don't eat breakfast prior, only because it is usually a 5am class and I don't plan ahead enough to get food in before. Having said that, I usually don't eat dinner until like 8pm so I don't typically feel lethargic or weak during my AM workouts.
  • petzilla
    petzilla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just have a banana before my 6am workout and then after comes the protein shake and fit meals.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I personally don't eat before my 5:30 class, but I feel like I have more energy when I go to the 6pm and have already eaten.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I "fuel-up" the night before w/ dinner and then only have a bottle of water 1st thing in the morning before working-out. I'll have a protein shake or recovery drink after the WOD and something more "solid" about an hour later.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I go at 5AM and typically do not eat before, just eat a large dinner the night before. If I am hungry, I'll have half of a banana before & that doesn't bother my stomach during the workout
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I go at 6am and find that I need a banana or half a larabar if I've eaten really low calories or low carb the day before. If I've eaten enough calories and a decent amount of carbs at dinner the previous day, I can forgo anything before the WOD and just do the protein shake right after and a real breakfast once I get to work.
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    it really depends on what works for you. If i eat anything even half a banana before my 6am crossfit i feel like I am going to puke if its an intensive WOD. I dont eat til after. but ive been working out at 6am for years and know i do best on an empty stomach. If you generally eat before your workout try something small and see how you feel.
  • marykellymires
    marykellymires Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to just see what works for you. I personally cannot exercise with a full stomach. I do sometimes have coffee and a handful of nuts before a morning workout. Just depends. I can't have anymore than that though. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who eat before and it works for them. Just experiment!
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I work out M-F at 6am. I almost always eat before class. Usually I have an apple with peanut butter or sometimes a protein drink. My box tells us what the WOD is the night before so I plan what I eat based on the WOD. I try to keep it light and under 200 calories. If I don't eat I spend the whole hour thinking how hungry I am which is not only annoying but it takes my concentration away from my form which is not a good thing. Good luck.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Working out first thing in the morning is not something I would ever want to do. Working out at night gives me something to look forward to while I am plugging away at the office.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Working out first thing in the morning is not something I would ever want to do. Working out at night gives me something to look forward to while I am plugging away at the office.

I'm the opposite, I work out before I have a chance to wake up/ realize how brutal the WOD is.
    At work, I look forward to dinner, fun things, and TV.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well I ended up eating my normal breakfast which meant waking up at 4:30am to make it and eat it (oatmeal with egg whites). My session started at 6am and it went really well! I didn't feel sick at all, I didn't even really think about it until just then haha and I had my protein shake afterwards. Thanks for all your input guys! I love hearing other peoples routines and how you do things :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I am doing a 6am crossfit class tomorrow morning and I don't know if I should my oatmeal at 5am and have a protein smoothie afterwards or only have something light before it and eat breakfast after? I just want to get an idea of what you guys like to do before I spew all over the box tomorrow haha

I personally would be spewing that all over the place during the warmup. I'd bring it with me for afterwards.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I do a 5:30 am CF class every weekday. I don't eat before my class, but I do have a serving of N.O. Explode Pre-workout powder on my way to the box (I know, I know, probably not the best stuff for you but I'm now addicted to the pump and caffiene jolt I get from it). I then have a post workout protein shake right after the workout. This combo keeps me satiated until late morning when I'll eat some eggs and greek yogurt....

I am picturing videos in my head of Hulk Hogan running wild back in the day.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I do the 5.45am class and there's no way I can eat before hand.