Anyone else hate Rose..?

Options
aribugg
aribugg Posts: 164 Member
I say "Rose" and not "Billie Piper" because it really is the character i cant stand...
every friggin episode, "oh hey, let me just screw up everything in sight and then act like im cool as f**** because i helped clean up my own mess and im Bad Wolf and junk!" *grumble grumble*

I loved the relationship between Tennant and Rose, but i was disappointed they didnt actually KILL her off...

Replies

• xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I really love how proactive she is. She may make mistakes, but she refuses to sit on the sidelines. She is constantly trying to jump in and help out. She has the best intentions. I love that. She's just this crazy, perfect mixture of rebellious and innocent.
  • aribugg
    Options
    okay, i can agree with that. i do love the attitude, but its nothing compared to Donna's haha.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Nope, I like Rose, except when she gets whiny about being separated from the Doctor. Love Donna though. The sass is amazing.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My answer is a wee bit complicated.

I loved Rose with Eccleston. They had AMAZING chemistry, the writing was fantastic, I thought she was a good character.

And then Tennant came along. And to be blunt, I felt like she pulled him down. There didn't seem to be any chemistry between them until after she left and came back for an episode here and there. The writing was still good, but I felt like something was... off about the Rose character. I dunno. I need to rewatch and figure out what it was.

I did like her when she came back. (Although whatever work Piper had done on her face REALLY threw me off. But that's me being shallow.)
  • aribugg
    Options
    my first go-round watching the show, i liked her at first. and then the more i watched the more i hated her face. and that tongue thing when she's trying to be cute? STAHP!
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I liked Rose. I don't like that shes everyones favorite just because of the romantic aspect.
  • DoctorMcCoy10
    DoctorMcCoy10 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I liked Rose but to be honest none of the companions will ever be as good as Donna. She was amazing!
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My initial loyal reaction is YOU TAKE THAT BACK HEATHENS. But everyone has the right to be wro--I mean, have their own opinions. ;)

I actually just wanted to say that while I love Rose, I love Donna just slightly more. Possibly because it was an uncomplicated, loving friendship which was more relaxing to watch.

Also that sass. I aspire to that level of sass.

Also, I viscerally hated Roses mom and Mickey on the first go around.
  • mghollis
    mghollis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I liked Rose with Number 10. I LOVED Rose with Number 9. But have you ever seen the GIF of the kiss on the beach with the Meta-crisis doctor? I would really love to know what happens in that other dimension.

[eta] Sorry, not a GIF, but a short video. http://youtu.be/SPl47lfLl2E
  • DoctahJenn
    Options
    I liked Rose with Number 10. I LOVED Rose with Number 9. But have you ever seen the GIF of the kiss on the beach with the Meta-crisis doctor? I would really love to know what happens in that other dimension.

[eta] Sorry, not a GIF, but a short video. http://youtu.be/SPl47lfLl2E

DoctahJenn delivers!!

L8PWvD5.gif
  • mghollis
    mghollis Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you, DoctahJenn. :)
  • flabbybunker
    flabbybunker Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree Rose was great with number 9. She almost felt like a after thought with ten . But will give her her best props when she wiped out the entire TIME WAR refugee SKARO FLEET as either the MOMENT or BAD WOLF
  • OccamsDisposableRazor
    OccamsDisposableRazor Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad (and relieved!) to find some people willing to admit they don't like Rose! I always felt like I was the lone heathen in a universe of Rose worship. I also liked her with Eccleston and then quickly grew to hate her smug little mug with Tennant. I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed that they didn't actually kill her off, but could they PLEASE at least stop having her pop up in episodes?
  • DoctahJenn
    Options
    I'm SO glad (and relieved!) to find some people willing to admit they don't like Rose! I always felt like I was the lone heathen in a universe of Rose worship. I also liked her with Eccleston and then quickly grew to hate her smug little mug with Tennant. I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed that they didn't actually kill her off, but could they PLEASE at least stop having her pop up in episodes?

As much as I'm not a huge Rose fan, I do love when old characters pop up again, so I don't mind when she's randomly in an Episode. I do wish they'd bring Wilfred back more often, though. I really loved him.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned before that my favorite companion was Donna and I could relate to her the most. And in some ways I could relate to Rose more than the other companions. I'd probably be messing up everything in sight and then trying to act cool as well. :wink:

And I must agree, Rose was best with Eccleston. It seemed like Billie Piper really didn't want to be there in most of the Tennant episodes. I liked her in the Eccleston episodes because she seemed like a simple girl who was way out of her element, and that she was just trying to impress the Doctor.

The issue with her character was that they tried to develop this kind of relationship between her and the Doctor. And they had to make Mickey annoying so that we didn't think poorly of Rose for ditching him the first chance she got. And somehow it ended up with too much emphasis on her being 'sexy' which ended up being distracting somewhat.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I didn't *hate* Rose, but the whole Doctor and Rose thing did get a bit diabetic-coma-inducing at some points.

You're amazing Doctor!
    No, you're amazing Rose!
    No, you're MORE amazing!

OH GOD JUST GET A ROOM.

My heart still breaks every time I watch Doomsday though.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    WHA?????? Hating on Rose? Not at all, I liked Rose. Now how she ended up with a guy like Mickey is rather questionable. I was not as big on Donna as some of y’all are (not saying I didn’t like her), but I really loved her dad and would have liked for him to have been more involved.

So while we are deviating from topic and talking about the companions that we do like why am I not seeing any love for the Ponds or the impossible girl?
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i personally can't stand martha.... but that's just me. LOVE LOVE LOVE Rose and started having a mini excited panic attack when she started popping up again in Donna's journeys... like when she dropped off the keys and when she randomly showed up yelling DOCTOR on the video feed.
  • Elizabeth_Darcy
    Elizabeth_Darcy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i personally can't stand martha.... but that's just me. LOVE LOVE LOVE Rose and started having a mini excited panic attack when she started popping up again in Donna's journeys... like when she dropped off the keys and when she randomly showed up yelling DOCTOR on the video feed.

Martha had her moments, but it was all a bit too "lost puppy dog" for me. Donna was seven shades of refreshing after that mess.

I liked Rose in the fact that she could hold her own. She didn't (always) wait around for the Doctor to save her.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I liked Rose with 10, loved Rose with 9, and loved that Rose got to be with alternate 10 while our 10 moved along. She wasn't my favorite, but her story was good and I loved seeing her in the 50th. Favorite "companion" is River, but as she's less companion and more anomaly, favorite companion is Donna. Ponds are SO close to the favorite spot, and their story was awesome (and so different from anything Tennant did).

Martha I just felt sorry for, and Clara? Don't even get me started on that hot mess of an idea. Honestly, go away. Impossibly obnoxious.