Bariatric surgery or not?

Options
tarahuffman85
tarahuffman85 Posts: 5 Member
I'm seriously considering gastric bypass because of my years of yo-yo-ing and because of my diagnosis of pcos, sleep apnea, hypo thyroid, pre-diabetes and fact that I cannot seem to wrap my mind around the numbers and measurements that go into a diet for someone in my situation. I'm 29 y.o. 5'4 236 lbs but more recently I weighed 250 steady. Please help!!!

Replies

• kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For me, I am completely against it. For many reasons, one being cost, my insurance doesn't cover it. BUT I have a friend who has had tremendous success! She had been TTC for 18 months and trying to lose weight for 6 months and nothing was happening on either front. She was insulin resistant, "obese" and had terrible acid reflux. She had her surgery in January 2012, lost 90lbs and was able to conceive her son in January 2013. Her son is 8months old now and very healthy. She is almost back down to her pre-pregnancy weight, never had gestational diabetes, and now her insulin resistance and acid reflux is completely gone.
    It was not easy. She worked hard! Ate 800 cals a day, mostly protein and worked out daily. She now has to have a few iron transfusions a year because her body doesnt absorb iron any more but she doesnt seem to mind.

Good luck with whatever you decide. This is not something to take lightly.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm completely against it as well. The long-term success rate is actually quite abysmal, and in my opinion, not worth all of the risks and requirements -- eating tiny meals, eating 800 calories a day, the risk of things like tearing or one of the several other complications, the inability to properly absorb nutrients.

I know it seems hard right now, but is surgery really going to be an easier route, considering the above? I doubt it.

Instead, try this for 6-8 weeks:

1. Base your diet around meats, fats, and vegetables, with low-sugar fruits (such as berries) as desserts/treats.
    2. Aim for about 75g-100g of (total) carbs a day, and get as much of that from vegetables as you can. This is a maximum number, so if you consume less, that's okay.
    3. Avoid dairy (except butter, the lactose and casein are the usual problem compounds), gluten grains (wheat, barley, oats, rye), refined sugars, and soy. Avoid substituting with "fake-wheat" products or artificial sweeteners.
    4. Aim for about 100g of protein each day.
    5. Fill the rest in with fats, including from sources like avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, butter, and animal fats.(which includes fattier cuts of meat, such as rib steak).

Weigh yourself and take measurements with a tape measure before and after. If possible, also get at least your insulin levels, if not also your thyroid levels, checked before and after.
  • tarahuffman85
    tarahuffman85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys, your input is extremely helpful.
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about it, and personally it would be a life or death last resort for me.

My mom had gastric bypass last fall and she has done well on it, HOWEVER, the important thing to remember is that weight loss surgery is only a TOOL, and it still requires a lot of WORK. For my mom, she has lost weight but still has some bad habits, and I know that will catch back up to her in the long run.

The process of having surgery requires you to do a lot of prep work which includes talking to nutritionist, attending classes, and talking with a lot of doctor's. They really try to educate you, and help you make an educated decision before you get into it.

I suggest that if you realize that if you can realize that it is a tool and you will need to put in the work, that you at least go and talk to a doctor to become educated in the process. There are a lot of varying opinions online, and the only way you will know if it is right for you is to seek professional medical input.

Keep your head high :)
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I found a pretty good article regarding pcos and bariatric surgery. It's a little scientifically dry. Hope it helps.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3334389/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I found a pretty good article regarding pcos and bariatric surgery. It's a little scientifically dry. Hope it helps.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3334389/

It's suggesting surgery is a viable option for adolescents?! That's insane.

The benefits commonly attributed to the surgery are arguably better attributed to the weight loss, which can be done through the diet and lifestyle changes that you have to do with the surgery, anyway. (Of course you're going to take in less food when the now-functional part of your stomach is the size of a grape!)

That said, the article is a good overview of the pros and cons of it, though I am still highly skeptical that the reported metabolic changes are due to the surgery itself, and not due to the forced dietary changes that come as a result of the surgery.
  • sharimedina
    sharimedina Posts: 116
    Options
    Hmmm. I was 400 pounds, had diabetes and pcos and couldn't get pregnant. Long story short, I had gastric bypass, got down to 267, started fertility drugs, was blessed with 2 beautiful children and now sit at 330 pounds. I have an addiction to food, and although my wls tool still works to a degree, it does not help the head hunger. Here is the catch. Would I have it again, yes... I have two beautiful babies. What would I do differently, figure out the addiction and get on a daily walking plan before the surgery... it might have helped me to stick with it long term. Would I recommend it for you, eh, probably not. In hind site there are so many complications. I battle low iron, low vitamin d, low b-12. I get sick on some foods (dumping). And here I am, still morbidly obese and gonna tackle this extra weight the good old fashioned way anyway. Surgery is not the easy way out, it takes commitment and hard work, just like the old fashioned weight loss.

My advice. Research it like crazy, pros and cons. Realize the complications. Be accountable. Most insurance plans make you go through a rigorous plan just to have surgery. If you can't commit to that honestly... you probably won't succeed after surgery. If you can commit to the rigorous plan then you probably don't need the surgery anyway, does that make sense? A good place for more information is (obesityhelp then .com) All kinds of great forums there to help you decide.

In whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck!