Training during Gluten-Challenge?

Options
Mrs_Bones
Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
Hi everyone,
I recently went to my doctor who confirmed that I am almost certainly gluten-intolerant and we are now in the process of trying to figure out if it's just IBS related or celiac disease. As such, I have to eat two servings of gluten every day for several weeks to make sure that I really irritate my body for blood work so that celiac will show up, if in fact that is my problem. It's kinda barbaric to eat something that makes you sick to see if it causes damage but that's a story for another day!

One of my big problems right now is that I'm trying to train for my first 5K at the end of August and now that I'm back on gluten, this is proving very difficult. When I run, I get sharp stabbing pains in my abdomen. I'm in good aerobic shape so this wouldn't be a problem otherwise, but then the pain gets bad enough that it triggers my asthma (stress) and the last time I was out, I nearly fainted as I was on my cool down walk. I seem to be fine when I'm doing my at-home strength training.

Has anybody else experienced this kind of a problem? I'm taking the day off of running and am consider postponing my run training until my bloodwork is done, however I know that if it comes back positive, I may have to continue eating gluten for a couple of weeks in preparation for an endoscopy and not running in this whole time will completely throw me off and then I won't be ready for the big event! HELP!?

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I've not had that problem and sorry that you do. Maybe ask your doctor about an endoscopy rather than bloodwork (although this could be an insurance thing)? That way you would not have to go through this discomfort. Likewise last I knew a negative blood test is not conclusive and the endoscopy generally is.

All that said you have plenty of time to train for an end of August 5k so even if you have to take a break it should not matter in the long run (no pun intended)
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter - she really should have both the blood test and the endoscopy. But, you HAVE to be eating gluten in order to see the damage to the intestines. It IS barbaric. In fact, its the main reason I don't have a hard diagnosis. I know what happens when I get gluten, and it isn't pretty (aside from stomach issues, mouth sores, arthritis, dizziness, nausea, and bloating are not my friends).
    Either you deal with it, or you say screw the test and give up the gluten.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter - she really should have both the blood test and the endoscopy. But, you HAVE to be eating gluten in order to see the damage to the intestines. It IS barbaric. In fact, its the main reason I don't have a hard diagnosis. I know what happens when I get gluten, and it isn't pretty (aside from stomach issues, mouth sores, arthritis, dizziness, nausea, and bloating are not my friends).
    Either you deal with it, or you say screw the test and give up the gluten.

Unless she has been off gluten for quite a while, and maybe she has, her intestines would likely still show damage. I was never blood tested, found by endoscopy. That said I was eating gluten at the time
  • mullycathNZ
    mullycathNZ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh that sux! I haven't had to do this - was diagnosed coeliac via endoscopy before I knew and was therefore eating gluten at the time - and I agree, it is horrible that this is the only way currently for a definitive diagnosis.

When is your test - my understanding is you do the gluten challenge for 4 weeks prior? In that case will it be over and done with by end of June/beginning of July? Just thinking you could bring your training back down a notch until you can cut out gluten again and then ramp it up - would still give you 6-8 weeks of decent training which should be OK for a 5km if you keep a base fitness going?

Otherwise is putting the testing off until after the run an option? You could train and complete the 5km and then do 4 weeks on gluten and take the test after that? Although i do realise you may have little control over the timing for this.

Sorry I don't really have any practical advice, but I feel for you :frown:
  • Mrs_Bones
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah, I have to eat gluten for two to four weeks and make a follow up appointment with my doctor within a week of my blood work. It's been nearly two weeks, so I thought about just going ahead with my tests but my doctor is out of town until the end of the month and I shouldn't probably stop eating gluten immediately after my blood work because here in Canada, typically positive blood work is followed up by endoscopy and you should be eating gluten for that whole period of time leading up to both tests so... I'm trying to just tough it out and switch up my training so that I'm staying active even if I'm not running but it's difficult. Woke up this morning with nausea and discomfort so trying to settle that so I can do some hiit training instead.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah, I have to eat gluten for two to four weeks and make a follow up appointment with my doctor within a week of my blood work. It's been nearly two weeks, so I thought about just going ahead with my tests but my doctor is out of town until the end of the month and I shouldn't probably stop eating gluten immediately after my blood work because here in Canada, typically positive blood work is followed up by endoscopy and you should be eating gluten for that whole period of time leading up to both tests so... I'm trying to just tough it out and switch up my training so that I'm staying active even if I'm not running but it's difficult. Woke up this morning with nausea and discomfort so trying to settle that so I can do some hiit training instead.

I'm in Canada too, and I hate to say this but you need to keep up the gluten til after the endo. This way you will get a definite positive and be able to write off the differences in food costs when you buy gluten free. (Medical on taxes at the end of the year). Just keep as active as you can, but realize your 'training' will not be happening while you are doing the challenge. Good luck :flowerforyou:

If you have nausea, hiit will probably make you puke. There you are - not a good scenario.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Options

I'm in Canada too, and I hate to say this but you need to keep up the gluten til after the endo. This way you will get a definite positive and be able to write off the differences in food costs when you buy gluten free. (Medical on taxes at the end of the year). Just keep as active as you can, but realize your 'training' will not be happening while you are doing the challenge. Good luck :flowerforyou:

If you have nausea, hiit will probably make you puke. There you are - not a good scenario.

So far nausea hasn't been too much of an issue so the hiit has been okay, which is awesome! And yeah, I figured as much about the endo so I'm hoping that if I do come back positive for celiac, then it won't take ages to get in for the endo :/
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It's only a 5k and August is a ways off yet --- I wouldn't worry if you miss a couple weeks of training.