let's talk about rest!!!!

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
I'm not getting enough- I know YOU all probably aren't getting enough either!!!

Right now my schedule is a 3 day lift- typical M-W-F schedule- I'll probably be switching to 4 days here in 2-3 weeks but I have dance on 2 or 3 of those off days frequently..My other days I'm completely at rest and I do absolutely nothing.

I average about 6-7 hours of sleep a night- sometimes not well.
And I most definitely feel tired and achy all the time. So I KNOW it's NOT ENOUGH!!!

Knowing sleep, rest, recovery AND food are all important for this process- how much do you find sleep wise are you averaging and how much rest between lifts are you feeling is needed for YOU??

Do you do cardio on your off days- how much cross training?

I know everyone's sleep/rest needs are different but I'd be interested in hearing about you're averages and how it makes you feel and how much you are attuned to that!

Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    For me, if my alarm is set for 5.25 am to go to the gym or for a run before work, I HAVE to make sure I'm in bed by 10.00 pm. Recently that has become a problem because besides my 32 hour/week job, 2 small children and the regular stuff involved with that, I'm trying to get my design business of the ground. Something had to give... So I adjusted my workout schedule to less days lifting and running to create time for the other things.

Lifting wise I'm also doing a major deload, which will probably take months to work back up. My reason for that were signals of overtraining: tired, grumpy, often sick, irritable etc. I'm feeling much better now and using the "lighter" lifting to work on my form :flowerforyou:
    So yes, I really believe in getting adequate rest!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i try and be in bed for 8 hours, and i usually toss and turn and end up with 6-6.5 hours of sleep. i'm wearing an armband now, so i get pretty accurate sleep readings. I do ok with 6.5 hours of sleep.
    i lift 4 days a week, i'm lifting conjugate method, its two days heavy max effort (one upper body one lower body ) and two days dymanic effort (same one upper one lower). I get 3-4 days rest between between muscle groups , and i need all those days. We have a deload worked into the program.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    nice. I actually got up on time this morning- well could have been earlier- but 645 is better than 745!!!

I got to bed around 11 PM Thur and Wed so that was good- like in bed for real and out cold shortly there after.

I need to do better at setting a bed time alarm I think.

I can tell- it's just not enough with a short 7 or long 6 hours.

Sonya- is that a particular program or one your trainer worked out for you? I'm intrigued!!!
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This is something I struggle with, but it's really important (because for me, getting enough rest really makes or breaks me). I struggle with getting to bed at a reasonable hour, because there's not enough hours in the day to get done what I need to get done (but in actuality it's more like I get distracted and get on tangents that keep me from doing what I need to do).

I've found that I need 7 hours of sleep. More or less than that is usually not good, and can make me overly tired the next day. Quality of sleep is important too, and that can be really variable.

I lift 5 days a week (usually sun-thurs.), and I rest fri. and sat. If I'm really busy or tired on one of my lift days, sometimes I'll move one of them to fri. or sat.

Currently I'm not doing any cardio, because I'm really trying to focus on building muscle and just progressing in my lifts. For me I've found that cardio takes up too much of my energy (probably both physical and mental), so that I don't have as much energy for lifting. Not to say that I couldn't lift, I just couldn't lift as much and couldn't dedicate as much time and energy to lifting. I also make sure I dedicate a good 10-15 min of stretching after every lifting workout, which takes time, but it's dramatically reduced my back and neck aches and pains I would sometimes get. I'm definitely going to get back to cardio at some point, but not for the time being.
  • rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options
    I aim for 8 hours of sleep every night with a minimum of 7. If I get any less than 7 I don't function well the next day and I fall asleep driving to and from work. My schedule depends on my husband's. When he's on the day shift we are in bed by 9 the latest and up at 4:30 every day sometimes Monday through Saturday. If he's on the night shift I'm in bed by 10 the latest and get up at 5:15. I feel good every day except those that I only get 6 hours which is rare. Pretty much once my head hits the pillow I'm asleep within minutes.

I'm not doing any cardio as I try to hang on to every calorie since i often struggle meeting the calories I need. I'm still getting my body used to eating so many. I lift 4 times a week in an upper lower split so every other day giving me 3 days rest from upper to upper and lower to lower, and that is the perfect amount of rest for my body.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I struggle to not only get enough sleep, but actually taking rest days as well. I lift 3 days a week and do aerial the other days. I need at least 3 days of silks, and I started pole again, so I'd like to do 2 days of that. I've had to stop Lyra.

In order to get it all in and still have a true day of rest (where I walk or bike), I have to double up on weights and aerial. If I don't kens up doing some sort of weight lifting every single day (body or metal, lol). And that is exhausting.

I don't get enough sleep either. I just can't go to bed early enough and I always wake up in the middle of the night. I need about 7 hours of sleep, but to get that, I need to physically be in bed for more like 8.5-9 hours.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I get about 6 hours of sleep every night. There's no way around it. I wake up @ 5am, get ready,commute an hour to work, work 7:30 - 4, drive home and pick up the kids and get home by 6. After doing dinner, playing with the kids, putting them to bed by 8:30, then working out and cleaning the house I get to bed by 11. I don't see how I can get any more sleep so it is what it is. I'm actually fine with it - I don't need coffee to get me going in the morning. I only lift 3 times a week though with no cardio so my volume isn't as high as most of you ladies.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    I really applaud you ladies who get up at the butt crack of dawn (and commute!). I'm definitely a night person, hands down. I think I function best on a 1am-8am schedule. Luckily my work schedule is kind of flexible and variable (since I'm in a veterinary residency/PhD program). But there were a couple months last year that I had to commute for externships, so I had to get up around 5am and commute (hour in the morning & sometimes 2 or more in the evening). I felt like I was going to die! :yawn: I literally had no mental or physical energy. I don't know what I'm going to do if my future job(s) have hours like that every single day.

Oh and I also applaud those of you who have kids. I don't think I could do that either :)
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am most definitely NOT a morning person! If I do try to do any exercise at that time, it is twice as hard as if I do it late afternoon/early evening.

However, I also admit I do not get near enough rest. I rarely get near my bed before midnight, sometimes as late as 2am. I probably get about 6 hours most nights.

I also do not take as much time off the gym as I should. :embarassed:

At present I have 4 lifting days (done a deload so more looking at technique and flexibility at the mo), a purely 'core' day (planks, crunches, back extensions etc), and a 'corrective' day - which is yoga/flexibility work so not really 'working out'. My PT has ordered me to take a full day off per week, which feels really weird! I do cardio as well, but a tiny fraction of what I used to do. It is a standing joke between me & my PT that I would live in the gym if the lockers were big enough for me to sleep in :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    taking actual days off with no actual work outside of chore requirements (dog walking kid walking etc etc) is super important.

The deeper I get into programs the more I realize my body needs it. I used to mentally really really struggle with days off- and when I switched to my first 3 day a week lifting program I was REALLY bent about it. But after having been essentially 3 or 4 days for several months- it's really obvious how badly I need the days.

it definitely takes getting used to- but having a day or two of straight out OFF days is really helpful- I don't even know how I functioned without them before!!! LOL
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Yes, rest days are very important. I should also mention that after every 8 wks or so of lifting, I take a whole week off from lifting. This has usually been coinciding with times I have to go out of town, holidays, etc. so it works out. This week off every so often has really helped me (both mentally and physically). In the future, I may try doing a deload week in place of the completely off week.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Lifting 4 days a week.
    I do not get enough sleep. Mostly because I am on MFP lol. It is 1am and I am up at 7. So I am off to bed now!