Struggles with barbell rows - is this just me?

Options
JuliRamone
JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
Hey there,

I am new to stronglifts (7th workout today), but I started a general program of weight training in january, and now switched to SL.
So far, I love the program, btw :)

I increase my weight for Bench Press and Overhead Press by 1kg (=2.2lbs), for Squats by 2.5kg (5.5lbs) and for deadlifts by 5kg (11lbs) every time. So far, I was also adding 2.5kg to barbell rows.
And here's the problem: Today I was barely able to finish my 5x5 barbell rows, while all the other exercises where still quite easy (not too easy, but still - really ok).

Is this normal, like, is there always one exercise you "suck" at or should I start to only increase the row weight just by 1kg as I do with bench / overhead press?

Thank you already :)

Replies

• viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Rows used to be my most HAAAAATTEDD :mad: lift!!!

I found that when I really started to focus more on my butt, legs and chest while moving the bar, it really helped increase my lift. I also would just leave my weight the same for a few lifts until I felt that I could really move it with ease.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I found in the beginning that rows and ohp were my weaker lifts, then I stalled out on bench, squats and finally deadlifts. It was more of finding the right weight for each of the lifts and that took a different time for each lift.

Ps I hate rows because I don't always trust my form. I found adding in some one arm db rows as accessories has really helped me out.
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wasn't very good at, and did not like rows until I discovered that one of my gym locations has bumper plates. That was the break through that I needed since the bumper plates get the bar at the proper height for each rep.

I'm still not amazing at these (and I am not consistent about doing them) but it helped a lot.

Also, consider checking your grip. I recently reviewed form for this and for the BP and discovered that I needed a bit wider grip. When I changed this up for the row it was amazing how easy it was to feel the target muscles engage. If your grip is too close, I think it's a lot of strain ergonomically and also more biceps work than traps / lats etc.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I hate rows. I can squat 210 and bench 135 but my rows are only 105. Some people do have a weak lift. Bumper plates have helped minimize the suckage for sure.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think we all hate rows...

I just recently deloaded from 125 due to massive form failure...I can get them up but using momentum to do it...

I find if I really watch my form it isn't as bad as when I screw around.

Here is a good video I often reference when I have had to deload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I think we all hate rows...

I just recently deloaded from 125 due to massive form failure...I can get them up but using momentum to do it...

I find if I really watch my form it isn't as bad as when I screw around.

Here is a good video I often reference when I have had to deload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

This!! I struggle with Rows and OHP. I just finished my 7th week
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    First: Thank you everyone! I am so glad I am not weird and just screwing up. :-D

I will check my form and grip again the next time, and then maybe just lower the increasing.
    Also I'll try adjusting the height with some plates :)

Again, thank you for your amazing feedback. I see, not only SL is awesome, but also the people doing it.
    Let's kick some butt (mine's hurting, thanks to the squats earlier :D)
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Bumping.. I also have issues with rows. If anyone else has any other good videos, please post.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I was having problems with getting increases in my strength on these. I lowered the weight, and now I am back up to where I couldn't get to before.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bump for later because rows SUCKED this morning!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that the last time I did rows I widened my grip and it made such a difference. Like night and day.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that video link! I've been doing them the first way. Funny, because rows are fairly easy for me. But I do a ton of aerial, so my back and lats are really strong. I struggle with Bench (stuck at 85 lbs) and OHP (currently 60 lbs). My squats aren't that awesome, even though they're the exercise I've focused on since I started weights in September of 2013. I'm currently at 145 lbs, or 1.1x body weight. I've really been stuck here a while.

Oh well, we'll all get there eventually! And of course, heavy weight is only as heavy as you need!
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP cause mine suck as well.
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    Haha I remember watching this video. I love how he's just like dangit they named this stupid thing after me. Guess I'll deal.

@husseycd Yay aerials! I do pole so they're like...activity cousins. =P I only tried silks once. Loved it! Was too sore to put on or take off a bra in any reasonable amount of time for days.