Never hungry

Options
debhaley1
debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
Surgery 4/14/14. Does anyone else have this problem? I forget to eat, I have recently set up alarms for every hour so that I will remember to think about it. I then choose to eat or walk or drink something or what have you. Then I measure everything and will eat it slow and steady and sometimes I still get a tummy ache. Suggestions? Nut put me on prilosec and zofran but it only seems to make it not hurt as much.

Replies

• Taisy69
    Taisy69 Posts: 2
    Options
    Surgery 4/21/14. I forget to eat sometimes too. I have to make an effort most of the time. I'm still on pretty soft food for at least another week. I have to eat pretty small amounts and very slow. It can take me almost an hour to eat 3 ounces of fish and 30 minutes to eat yogurt. It still hurts sometimes. I take Zofran occasionally and zantac twice a day. I work all day on my feet and don't get a lunch break so I bring a protein shake. It will take me several hours to drink 8 ounces. I think it will get better over time. I have looked at some other peoples food diaries and they seem to be able to eat some things that I couldn't even consider. Hang in there. 31 pounds is fantastic!!
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am pretty happy with the loss so far. I have lost overall 27.5 inches so i know the scale is not my only measuring tool. I just feel like it is only me in the world sometimes. Selfish right? LOL. Good job on losing your 31 pounds too. they let me go to eating a few weeks ago and it has been difficult but tuna canned, chicken canned and chili have been my friends, but not hamburger. Well I wish you luck.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Many WLS folks have this. Believe me, for most of us who have/had it, it goes away. At between five and six months out my appetite returned. That makes this process much more a struggle.

Use this time to your advantage. The changes you will see in quality of life... It is SO worth it!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Establish your healthy eating pattern now. Your appetite will likely return between 6 months and a year. At support group I have heard several people bemoan the fact that they didn't get into a healthy lifestyle the first six months expecting the lack of appetite to stay away forever. They were blindsided when their appetite came roaring back. Use those timers to cue you. As you stick to your meal plan your tummy will adjust to digesting your new high protein intake. I often had nausea with eating meat the 1st 5 months. I felt so full. I learned to chew much more slowly and make sure the meat was super wet. At 6 months the nausea has completely left. Whatever you do work HARD to hit your protein goals or you will likely have significant hair loss no matter how much biotin you eat pre and post surgery.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I still sometimes forget to eat if I'm really busy. At work, my time is more regimented and eating at specific times is routine. So when I forget it's when I'm aways from work, weekends, vacations, etc. And I'm 3 years out. What you are describing sounds really normal. If you are losing you are doing it right. Track what you eat, make sure to get all your protein and water in and try not to stress about it. Most of us get our hungery back eventually.

So far I haven't really gotten my physical hunger back. What I struggle with is "head hunger". I sometimes find myself wanting to eat even when I'm still full from dinner. I'm not hungry, but I want to eat. That came back about 2 years out for me. I've found it helps if I eat my protein at dinner time and then wait an hour or so and have the salad part of my meal. I am much less likely to eat again before bed if I do that.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Surgery 4/14/14. Does anyone else have this problem? I forget to eat, I have recently set up alarms for every hour so that I will remember to think about it. I then choose to eat or walk or drink something or what have you. Then I measure everything and will eat it slow and steady and sometimes I still get a tummy ache. Suggestions? Nut put me on prilosec and zofran but it only seems to make it not hurt as much.

This is NOT a problem, this is wonderful, pray that it lasts forever!! I ate because I must for the first 12 -18 months, still now, it's social and I have to eat. Hunger has returned, first it was an empty feeling but now, I do feel hunger sometimes, but NOTHING like prior to surgery. I am almost four years out (June 11th) and I still weigh and/or measure my food. I TRY and always UNDER EAT my sleeve, that ensures I won't be uncomfortable. Eating less is the key, good habit to get into, now is your chance to make permanent NEW habits, your honeymoon period!! Enjoy it....and good luck!