Protein Hot Chai Mix

Options
bikrchk
bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
I found a pre-packaged Chai smoothie that I'd been using, but found it too sweet, expensive and only available on line. This way you can spice it yourself! Here is a home made version:

1 serving Vanilla Protein Powder
1 tbsp Instant Skim Milk Powder
1/4 t Ground Ginger
1/4 t Ground Cloves
1/4 t Cinnamon
2 t Unsweetened Instant Tea

I put mine in a shaker with hot, (but not too hot) water, then pour into a mug after its mixed

Replies

• 41more
    41more Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious. I will try this!
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love chai, thanks for posting! I will have to try it :)

I have a thing for iced coffee as well and had been trying to come up with a suitable (low carb with a good amount of protein) substitution. The best I have come up with yet is taking a 20 oz cup of ice, brew a decaf keurig cup on the smallest setting and add 1 cup Kroger Carbmaster vanilla or chocolate milk (thanks mangopickle, it's delicious!)

We still have to be able to treat ourselves and sometimes it takes a little experimenting to get there, I've had some good and not so good experiments!
  • teachren
    teachren Posts: 78
    Options
    I will have to try the Chai mix, thanks.

Shannie312, I love iced coffee too. I use Syntrax Cappucino protein powder, fresh brewed coffee from the morning or evening before (I just put the left overs in the fridge to cool down) and a little bit of unsweetened vanilla almond milk over ice. Honestly, it tastes like what I remember McDonald's iced coffee tasted like.

It gives the "sweetness" flavour that you get from iced coffee. Now, it is sweetened with sucralose so if you are sensitive it's not a good protein choice.

It clocks in around 110 calories (with the splash of unsweetend almond milk) and 24 g of protein. I can't wait for summer! :-)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think I like it better cold than hot! My new fav!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Love Chai but my mix from Sam's has so many calories! This is great! Thanks for sharing!!
  • mlomago19
    mlomago19 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Atkins just came out with a cafe caramel and mocha coffee protein shake. They are about 15 G protein and 3-4 g carbs, and totally delicious! I have only found the online and at wal mart. It totally satisfies my cravings...