Running Watch Recommendations? On a Budget?

Options
lockeddoor
lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
I started looking up some watches, and I'm overwhelmed. And shocked at how expensive it can be!

I'm looking for something cheap and basic. A good beginner model. (I can upgrade later as my needs change or when I know what kind of features I would personally want.) Recommendations? I only need the most basic of functions: how many miles I've gone, and time/pace. That's it. I'll upgrade later when I have a better idea of what other functions I would personally want, but being a relative newb to this sport, I just want something I can take with me on my weekly long run. It doesn't need to sync with anything, I can manually upload my info myself to my running logs.

There are some watches in the $100 range. Anyone have experience with those? Is $100 pretty much the low end?

Note: I will have to justify this expense to my non-runner husband, so I'm trying to keep the cost minimal! :laugh:

Replies

• SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yep. $100 is probably on the low end.

As an alternative, you can always get a smartphone app like RunKeeper. Carry your phone on your runs in an armband or belt and it will tell you your distance and pace (through the headphones) every X interval (ex. every 2 minutes or every 1/4 mile).
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    dcrainmaker.com is your friend...there are reviews of just about every watch out there. I am partial to Garmin and Carson already gave you a link to the 110, which I have owned in the past and liked. This one also looks interesting for an entry level Garmin: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garmin-fr15-firstlook.html
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

As an alternative, you can always get a smartphone app like RunKeeper. Carry your phone on your runs in an armband or belt and it will tell you your distance and pace (through the headphones) every X interval (ex. every 2 minutes or every 1/4 mile).

An app is a good suggestion, if you are looking to just try running out for a while. Just beware that, at least in my experience, a cellphone won't have near the reliability of a watch designed for running. But, cost-wise, you can't beat it. :o)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 in pink (seen here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090C7A5C/ref=twister_B009415G3W) cradle and everything. one year old...I don't use it anymore because I got a 220. Message me!
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like the garmins, but yes if you're just getting started and you have a smart phone, an app will do you just fine!
  • lockeddoor
    Options

I don't have a smartphone. It took a swim in the toilet and I never bothered to get another one. I'm embarrassingly using my old college flip phone right now. It can't even receive photo messages, let alone access the internet LOL
  • lockeddoor
    Options
    Is Garmin the gold standard when it comes to running watches?
  • lockeddoor
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 in pink (seen here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090C7A5C/ref=twister_B009415G3W) cradle and everything. one year old...I don't use it anymore because I got a 220. Message me!

Sending you a message! :)
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I already had a heart rate monitor so I bought the forerunner 10. It does exactly what you described: distance, time and pace. It seems to be very accurate.
  • apple_22over7
    Options
    Another vote for the Garmin Forerunner 110 - my OH bought me one at Christmas and whilst it's basic, it does the job exceedingly well.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Is Garmin the gold standard when it comes to running watches?

Absolutely. Not just running watches any GPS device.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My garmin f10 has been great for the past 2 years, doing exactly the basics this new runner needed. I am only looking to upgrade now because the battery life is 5 hours and I am worried it may die before I finish my first marathon, which would suck. (I am expecting around a 5 hour time. Sigh!)