Pregnancy and MS?

Options
psmd
psmd Posts: 764 Member
I'm about 10.5 weeks along and off my medication since December, doing okay so far. I would love to hear from anyone either in the same boat currently, or hear about your previous experiences! Feeling a little nervous even though so far everything is okay...

Replies

• 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! My last baby just turned one! I personally do not have MS, my husband does. I do recommend that you rest often. Everything will need to be cleaned or put away etc... take any help that is offered and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Babies are such a blessing but I know how hard having children is on my spouse and I think as long as you know you will need the support of your spouse maybe more than a mother without MS. It's definitely worth the energy:) Cherish every movement and moment. I hope your support system is great and if you need an ear I can listen and help in any possible way.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My husband has been super-supportive, won't let me do anything because he knows I fatigue easily. I am (actually we are) really excited, as this is our first baby...and right now we are (well he is) painting our condo, moving stuff out, getting ready to move into a new house later this summer.

Anyway thanks for the input! MS is such a strange disease so it's always good to hear about others' experiences.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I meant to reply to this sooner, but it got away from me. I waited a very long time (10 yrs) to get pregnant because I was afraid it would cause my ms to flare. My mom had her first exacerbation 3 months after I was born, so I was overly worried. Prior to getting pregnant, I had been completely asymptomatic for 10 yrs. I didn't want to do anything at all that would kickstart my completely silent MS. I quit Rebif when I found out I was pregnant, subsequently miscarried, which I believe brought on my first exacerbation (ON). I had read a lot about how the drop in hormones (after birth/ miscarriage) often does this. Happily, I recovered fully and got pregnant again a couple of months later. I focused my energy on figuring out how to prevent that next exacerbation.

I wanted to breastfeed, despite being advised to get back on meds ASAP. I found a small study that showed that breastfeeding may be neuroprotective for the mom and would help avoid that post-pregnancy exacerbation (so I hung my hat on that!) I also found a small study through the ms center in atlanta (ben thrower) that indicated that steroids post-partum may also help prevent that rebound exacerbation as the hormones drop. I talked to my docs about it and we decided on one infusion / month for a 3 month period.

Who knows if it worked, but I didn't have my next exacerbation until my daughter was 18 months old as she was weaning herself. After another year, I restarted meds (chose an oral med). In total, I had about a 3.5 year break. So far, so good. Nothing new on my MRIs and no symptoms or exacerbations. I could kick myself for waiting so long because the wonderfulness of being a mom has far exceeded all of my expectations!

I hope your ms is nice and quiet right now and stays that way. I loved being pregnant! My very best to you and your little one:)
  • TariH234
    TariH234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was not having any MS symptoms at the time of my first pregnancy and I developed MS fatigue a few months into the pregnancy. This was 27 years ago and not much was known about MS and fatigue, so I figured it was the pregnancy. After my daughter was born, I continued with the fatigue, but thought it was a result of having a baby (though she slept through the night at six weeks and took a nap during the day). After two years I knew it was not motherhood and eventually read an article about MS and fatigue. Eight years later I was pregnant for the second time and a few months into the pregnancy the fatigue went away. I lost 40 lbs during that pregnancy, though I was eating what and as much as I wanted and did not have much morning sickness--I just had energy for the first time in eight years and remained very active. My son was born healthy and 9 lb 2oz. About three months after his birth the fatigue returned and remains to this day.