Hi! A quick intro!

Options
JoyD824
JoyD824 Posts: 36 Member
Hi I am Joyce, from Columbus Oh, I am 57 and just began a week ago. My first weigh in is tomorrow morning.

I gave a friend that is doing the program and has lost 45 pounds, I actually found the program first and shared it w her. I wasn't able to start right away due to thyroid issues which I have gotten under control.

I have used this first week chocolate w fiber, pineapple apricot and the fudge graham bars. What products are you using and have you altered them into another dish? Can you will you, share your recipes?

Thanks for inviting me to join the group!
:drinker:

Replies

• bhinton919
    bhinton919 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Joyce! Glad you joined the group. I am Betty, 57 and from Jackson MS. I have been on the program for 4 weeks - down 20 pounds. I love the hot cocoa, chocolate shake, and chocolate fudge bars. Actually they only offer us one kind of bars in the full fast program - 4 shakes a day. I can substitute 2 of the bars for a shake per day if wanted.

I am traveling this week and in South Dakota. I will share my recipes when I get home. I do know the cookie one which is wonderful with a cup of decaf coffee at night! One beverage packet - Chocolate is the best to me.....2 tablespoons of water, 1 pack spenda....mix to a dough consistency. Scoop out 6 onto parchment paper - pop in microwave on high for 35 seconds. 45 seconds makes them a bread consistency and 35 makes them moister. Then sprinkle a packet of splenda on top if you like. I have tried them with the other beverage drinks, find the vanilla is good if I use the sugar free vanilla syrup added.

Will post the pizza recipe and chicken chips with salsa when I return home!

Best of luck on your first week's weigh in!!!!

Betty
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Ladybug_Karen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My name is Karen and I'm from Springdale, AR. Its in Northwest Arkansas. I've been on the program about 4 weeks and I'm down about 18 pounds. My friend Jess has been on the program about a year and I decided to make the change too. Its been pretty easy for me because I'm determined this will work. I only lost 1.6 pounds this week but making adjustments to maximize the loss per week. :)
  • yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Cindy, I'm 36 and live in Sacramento, CA. I've been in the program for a little over 6 mos and have lost 86lbs. I'm down a total 106lbs, I started on my own prior to the program. I have about 28lbs to go until I get to my goal weight. I've been on all shakes for the majority of the time. I did switch to what is called option 2 in my program for a couple weeks and had 1 meal per day and 2 shakes. I don't really care for that option and am back to option 1 which is all shakes. I've set an end date for myself regardless of where I am when that date comes, but I am pretty close to my goal weight so I am not too worried about that. July 1st is the date I will transition to realimentation in preparation for maintenance. Realimentation takes 6 weeks with my clinic.

I don't make a lot of the recipes anymore, I have a book my clinic provided. I will post the recipes in the recipe post I saw for recipes.

I tend to stick with the same 4 flavors most of the time. Pineapple Apricot, Chocolate Pudding, Vanilla Pudding and Lemon Pudding.

Cindy
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Options
    My name is Karen and I'm from Springdale, AR. Its in Northwest Arkansas. I've been on the program about 4 weeks and I'm down about 18 pounds. My friend Jess has been on the program about a year and I decided to make the change too. Its been pretty easy for me because I'm determined this will work. I only lost 1.6 pounds this week but making adjustments to maximize the loss per week. :)

I'll add that I'm 38 yrs old, a wife of 7 yrs and mommy to a beautiful little girl. We adopted her from china when she was 15 months old and she will be 3 yrs old in 2 weeks.
  • JoyD824
    JoyD824 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Karen - how far is Springdale from Bella Vista?

I have a good friend that lives in Bella Vista AR
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Options
    Karen - how far is Springdale from Bella Vista?

I have a good friend that lives in Bella Vista AR

Bella Vista is just a few minutes from Springdale. I work at Walmart Home Office in Bentonville, which is the next town south from Bella Vista.
  • KaileighMorgan
    Options
    Hi there! I found this group from another post and hope you don't mind that I joined! This is DAY ONE for me on the VLCD Program (3 shakes and 2 bars a day). I am 31 years old and a wife and mommy to 2 1/2 year old twins! I started my day with Pineapple Apricot which was good and getting ready to have lunch which will be the Chocolate Pudding! I'm so excited for this program and I want and NEED it to work so badly. I have about 60 lbs that I want to lose but it's not so much about the number on the scale for me, it's more about the way I feel. I want to be able to shop in stores that aren't meant for "Plus Size" women and be able to be super active with my kiddos.

I'm interested in seeing the "recipes" that some of you guys have because I'm sure I am going to want to mix it up at some point!

For those of you that have been on the program for awhile, are the first few days really hard and when did you personally find it to become "easier" and "second nature". I'm definitely a little hungry but not as bad as I thought I would be...i'm assuming day 2 and 3 will be much harder!

• bhinton919
    bhinton919 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone!!!!! Support means a lot! With the results, I am very determined not to cheat. Happy to see your successes! WE CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Options
    Hi there! I found this group from another post and hope you don't mind that I joined! This is DAY ONE for me on the VLCD Program (3 shakes and 2 bars a day). I am 31 years old and a wife and mommy to 2 1/2 year old twins! I started my day with Pineapple Apricot which was good and getting ready to have lunch which will be the Chocolate Pudding! I'm so excited for this program and I want and NEED it to work so badly. I have about 60 lbs that I want to lose but it's not so much about the number on the scale for me, it's more about the way I feel. I want to be able to shop in stores that aren't meant for "Plus Size" women and be able to be super active with my kiddos.

I'm interested in seeing the "recipes" that some of you guys have because I'm sure I am going to want to mix it up at some point!

For those of you that have been on the program for awhile, are the first few days really hard and when did you personally find it to become "easier" and "second nature". I'm definitely a little hungry but not as bad as I thought I would be...i'm assuming day 2 and 3 will be much harder!

Hey There!! First few days for me was rough. But i had my food and had a plan. I'm totally determined this will work. Day one, was easy because it was exciting trying the new foods.. day two, a bit more challenging then day three... Easter dinner with the in-laws. While everyone was chowing down shamelessly on hundreds of calories, i was telling myself over and over that my delicious 200 calorie cream of chicken soup is completely worth it. :)

Dr prescribed me an appetite suppressant but i didn't get the Rx filled. I don't like the way they make me feel in the past and it would make it that much more hard for me having to deal with the weird side effects from the pills. The way i seen it, it wouldnt hurt me to be hungry a little bit. i keep sugar free gum handy and crystal light for my water. it helps A LOT. :) I will say now, about 4.5 weeks in, i don't really get hungry unless it's after i exercise. i walk on my lunch break then come back to my desk and have my lunch. works out great.
    You can totally do this. We're here to help :)
  • Wonderwomantam
    Wonderwomantam Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello. My name is Tammi. I am from Ohio. I am a wife of 25 years and mother of three daughters 21, 19, 17 years old. I have a desk job as a bookkeeper at a chocolate factory. I started the New Directions Diet on 3/26/14. I started at 179.8 lbs and have so far lost 29 lbs. I have 16 lbs more before I make my goal weight. I drink 3 shakes and eat two bars a day. I am very glad I did this.

I get comments like: "Protein shakes, huh? Well, you will only gain it back!" But I try to block out those voices by telling myself these few things:

1. Taking a "break" from food is helping me to control my addiction. I am learning that I do have some control and that I can survive without needing to have everything I want to eat when it is available.
    2. I am learning the difference between being truly hungry and being bored
    3. I am learning to be okay with being satisfied after a meal and not stuffed with food
    4. I am learning good exercise habits
    5. I am learning to politely say, "No" if I do not want food offered to me
    6. I am learning to get together with people and doing activities other than eating - getting together to walk; inviting someone to a yoga class, biking on a trail.
    7. I am learning to log ALL food that I eat
    8. I am learning to count calories
    9. I am learning about nutrition
    10. I am learning to be compassionate with others who also struggle with food/weight issues
    11. I am learning to reach out for help...I am not good at asking for help. This has allowed me to see I cannot do this on my own.
    12. I am learning to get back up immediately when I "fall off the wagon" of my diet...no excuses. I am not perfect, but persistence, not perfection, is needed.
    13. I am modelling good habits to my family...my husband, one of my daughters and I run together. My other daughter and I go to conditioning class together. My third daughter does yoga with me. We bike as a family.

So, with all these good habits and lessons I am learning, I think I have more than a fair shot at keeping off the weight.
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Options
    Tammi, here's a hearty high 5 for you! :happy: /\ :happy:

All 13 of those things, YES!! I might just take that list and modify it for me and keep it in my pocket. Pull it out when I'm discouraged. Kind of like an Alcoholics Anonymous token. :)
  • srozovics
    srozovics Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My name is Shannon and I was on VLCD from September 19th until April 6th, I switched to what my clinic calls LCD where I incorporate a low calorie meal once a day, prior to that I was all liquid. I'm finding incorporating eating is actually harder than the all liquid because it takes more thinking/planning and will power. I'm about 25lbs from goal, so much harder at the end!!!!!
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    My name is Shannon and I was on VLCD from September 19th until April 6th, I switched to what my clinic calls LCD where I incorporate a low calorie meal once a day, prior to that I was all liquid. I'm finding incorporating eating is actually harder than the all liquid because it takes more thinking/planning and will power. I'm about 25lbs from goal, so much harder at the end!!!!!

Shannon I am in the exact same spot! 25lbs from goal, still 600 cal per day. I can have one meal per day instead of a shake but I also find it much harder than the shakes. A big part of my struggle is our very limited food list and the fact that it needs to be only a 200 cal meal.
  • macnma01
    macnma01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Meg, from Chicago. I'm on day four of VLCD and so far, I'm definitely less hungry than I thought I would be, which is great! The hardest parts so far has been the oral fixation/not being able to bite into anything and that everything seems to be so sweet. I went to dinner with some friends tonight and they shared a salad and pizza and all I wanted to do was eat the whole bowl of crispy lettuce. I've tried cheddar broccoli soup, chicken soup, vanilla beverage, lemon pudding, and mocha beverage. Does anyone have any advice for either of these issues? Are there other products that are less sweet? Thanks so much in advance!
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Options
    Hi! I'm Meg, from Chicago. I'm on day four of VLCD and so far, I'm definitely less hungry than I thought I would be, which is great! The hardest parts so far has been the oral fixation/not being able to bite into anything and that everything seems to be so sweet. I went to dinner with some friends tonight and they shared a salad and pizza and all I wanted to do was eat the whole bowl of crispy lettuce. I've tried cheddar broccoli soup, chicken soup, vanilla beverage, lemon pudding, and mocha beverage. Does anyone have any advice for either of these issues? Are there other products that are less sweet? Thanks so much in advance!

Hi Meg, glad you're here! I had the same thoughts with the chocolate beverages being really sweet. But I like them . :) the soups are not sweet to me. I get 4 packs a day and I have a chocolate bev in morn, soup at lunch, pudding at snack and soup at dinner. At first I felt I had to stagger my sweet and salty to keep cravings down. I add extra salt to my soups.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options

Welcome Meg! The sweet vs savory inequity is a big complaint from the people in my program. I like to make the chips with the Chicken soup and add some Mrs Dash Fiesta Lime to it. Once they have crisped up I like to drizzle Frank's Hot Sauce on them. We also have to drink at least one bouillon per day on my program and can have as much as 3 so that is very salty.

For chewing I like to make the frozen pudding drops (recipe in recipe post) and the chips. We also have fiber jello (I know not every program allows this) but that gives you something to chew as well if you have the jello option.

I've been on the program over 6 mos now and pretty much only drink choc pudding, lemon pudding, vanilla pudding and pineapple apricot. And yes I drink all the puddings mixed with 12-16oz of liquid. Oh and I hear the chocolate pudding mixed with hot water and cayenne pepper is really good.
  • srozovics
    srozovics Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of the chicken soup also make the crackers out of the chicken soup. Im from Chicago Metro Area too. Doing my program through Advocate Health.
  • pyratekitten65
    pyratekitten65 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Karen, I live next to Hershey, PA and I just had my first meeting today and picked up my first week of products. I am on the LCD not the VLCD would you be okay with having me join your group? My doctor did not recommend the VLCD for me due to health issues. I am currently 354 pounds so I know I have a long journey ahead of me. I will be doing a breakfast/lunch/snack on the new direction and then a 500 calorie dinner. I didn't qualify for gastric bypass due to prior severe abdominal surgeries unrelated to my weight. I need all the support I can get to help me through this. I told a couple of my friends about what I am doing and they are all trying to tell me what diets I should be doing. I chose this one because it's medically supervised. I am very limited exercise wise and I will be meeting with an exercise physiologist next week. In the meantime, I will be starting my new direction program tomorrow. Thank you for creating this group and I hope you will allow me to participate with you all!!
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    Hi my name is Karen, I live next to Hershey, PA and I just had my first meeting today and picked up my first week of products. I am on the LCD not the VLCD would you be okay with having me join your group? My doctor did not recommend the VLCD for me due to health issues. I am currently 354 pounds so I know I have a long journey ahead of me. I will be doing a breakfast/lunch/snack on the new direction and then a 500 calorie dinner. I didn't qualify for gastric bypass due to prior severe abdominal surgeries unrelated to my weight. I need all the support I can get to help me through this. I told a couple of my friends about what I am doing and they are all trying to tell me what diets I should be doing. I chose this one because it's medically supervised. I am very limited exercise wise and I will be meeting with an exercise physiologist next week. In the meantime, I will be starting my new direction program tomorrow. Thank you for creating this group and I hope you will allow me to participate with you all!!

Welcome Karen! I don't think anyone minds that you are on LCD vs VLCD, we're all just looking for support and using New Directions in some capacity. For what it's worth I tend to lose more weight the weeks I don't exercise at all and my clinic has been pretty upfront that while they want us to develop a habit of exercise, it's not really going to help us lose weight on this diet like normal ones. So you should still lose pretty quickly without being able to exercise.
  • Wonderwomantam
    Wonderwomantam Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Tammi, here's a hearty high 5 for you! :happy: /\ :happy:

All 13 of those things, YES!! I might just take that list and modify it for me and keep it in my pocket. Pull it out when I'm discouraged. Kind of like an Alcoholics Anonymous token. :)

:happy:

I had to find this thread again to read what I wrote a little while back. I needed some motivation. I am struggling this week. My daughters who are home from college all like to bake. When it is just my husband and I, the temptations are much easier for me to manage. But my daughters who have had to eat from the college cafeteria are excited to have "real" food again and a stocked kitchen. I don't want to impose my strict diet on them. But is sure is a lot harder. I can justify eating strawberries from our strawberry patch. But resisting the strawberry shortcake is much harder.

I am thinking of changing from all liquids to liquids and one meal a day. I am approx 10 pounds away from my goal weight. I am a vegetable gardener and the strawberry patch is full; the asparagus patch is producing abundantly; the rhubarb is ready; and the lettuce is one week away from the salad bowl. I want to be able to eat these fresh veggies in season. Also, I feel so much more energy than before and I like exercising now. But I get worn out so easily when I run or bike.

Any thoughts?