GPS unit for bicycle.....recommendations please?

Options
chelleb1974
chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
Hey Everyone,

I currently have a simple bike computer (Cateye Enduro) but I'm now looking into getting a handlebar mounted GPS computer. I woukd like recommendations on the ones that you all have, as well as those I should avoid. Thank you all so much!

Chelle

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Depending on your Budget, look at the Garmin 500/510, 800/810 or the new 1000!

Alternatively, if you have a smart phone, you can always go down the 'App' route with the Strava App, Cyclemeter App, Endomondo et al...

If you want to mount your phone on the bars etc. there's plenty of 3rd party vendors sell phone specific mounts; I'm using the Wahoo iPhone mount with my iPhone 4S which has an ANT+ plug in it to enable it to pick up data from my HRM, Speed & Cadence monitors - I use the Cyclemeter App, which automatically 'shares' my data with Strava at the end of my ride and I have enabled Strava to connect to my MFP account, but alas, this isn't working at present - a few 'teething issues' I'm guessing?

Much like everything else in cycling, it depends how deep your pockets are :laugh:
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The phone apps are nice, but they burn the battery fast and are hard to see during daylight, unless you turn your brigtness up which burns the battery faster. I use a Garmn Edge 305, I beleive its a discontinued line, but you can find them on eBay for a real good price. If you want to stick to new products see cloggsy's post.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty staunch advocate of the Garmin GPS units - first the 705, and now the 800.

However, as a slightly more "budget" solution - have a look at the Cateye Stealth GPS - the CC-GL50

http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/CC-GL50/

sells for around £90 for the head unit only, or £160 complete with HR Belt and Ant+ Speed/Cadence sensor.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I just got the Garmin Edge 500. It was on sale for $160, regularly $200.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Those 'Cat-Eye' models look really good value!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options

Especially if you already have a Ant+ HR belt and Cadence/Speed sensor for the back wheel... Is your Wahoo one Ant+ or Bluetooth Clive ??
  • cloggsy71
    Options

Especially if you already have a Ant+ HR belt and Cadence/Speed sensor for the back wheel... Is your Wahoo one Ant+ or Bluetooth Clive ??

ANT+ mate - If I upgrade, I'll be going down the Garmin route though I think :wink:
  • pmr545
    pmr545 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Garmin 500 for a couple years.... love it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dedicated bike computer / gps (I use my Forerunner 610 for running & biking) but if i was going to buy one I'm pretty sure it would be Garmin.
  • zummerzet_lou
    zummerzet_lou Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I looked around for ages, and ended up with a new phone + strava app.

On 2-3 hr rides, battery is not an issue if it's fully charged before the ride as not too much of a drain .. still plenty of juice after for calls if needed.

Plus, I have multiple bikes so wanted something that I could use on all the different rides.
  • Chrisiswinning
    Chrisiswinning Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I love my iPhone as a bike computer. So feature rich.

My ideal set up is thus:

- iPhone 5 in jersey pocket, running Strava, natch.
    - Wahoo RFLKT on the bars
    - Wahoo bluetooth sensors (HRM and Speed/Cadence) on the bike and me
    - Portable Duracell charger(s) for phone (if on any ride longer than 3 hours)

Don't know why I shun Garmin so much, they look awesome, I've just ended up going down this route and I love it. I love being able just to hit 'finish' when I get home and it all uploads instantly.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I love being able just to hit 'finish' when I get home and it all uploads instantly.

Agreed!
  • chelleb1974
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies and recommendations! I've been busy the last few days and wasn't able to check back until now. I have some looking to do online and the different ones that were mentioned. Someone mentioned using their phone and mounting it on the bike....I thought of that but haven't found one that I like the reviews for. I'm looking for it mostly to put a riding route into thegps (either manually or via MapMyRide) and follow that rather than stopping to check a hand-written route.

Thank you all again, I appreciate everyone's help!

Chelle
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you want turn by turn on your bike I think, although I may be wrong, you will need a Garmin 500 at the minimum. Before you buy do some soul searching and think what your needs will be in a year or two so you don't under buy now, or even over buy. I started with a phone app, added a wireless speed/distance etc. bike computer, added a Garmin 200 then upgraded to the 510 bundle. The data I have on and off the bike from the Garmin 510 has helped my improvement and weight loss in a big way.
  • chelleb1974
    Options
    Thank you!

I have been trying to anticipate what my needs are going to be, and I think for now I'm going to do some more research into the GPS units. I have been able to find a way (I think) to get a pre-mapped out route onto my phone, and have found a decently-rated phone holder for the bike for $100. I am considering this combination right now. We'll see. I really like some of the Garmin's I looked at, but can't justify or afford the $400-$500 price tag right now.

I may just end up sticking with what I have for right now....a plastic map pocket for the directions, and pulling out the phone if I think I've gone off course. Maybe save up for the Garmin for next year. We'll see!

~Chelle
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I just pickup the Bontrager Node 2.1 and the Garmin speed and cadence unit (The store was out of Bontrager speed/cadence unit and glad the sales rep recommended the Garmin unit because it's a lot easy to switch between bikes.) I plan to use IpBike and my phone for GPS and data collection, store, and analysis. It's a $210 solution and I too are uncomfortable of spending more than double for full fledged GPS units.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Gamin 500.

Such a sweet item.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Another one here that loves my 500. I don't personally see the need for anything more, and I especially would not want to Chance using my phone on really long rides.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Being using my 500 for the about 3 years now and can't see the need to upgrade. It does everything I need it to do. When I don't have a clue where I am going (happens on a regular basis), I use my iphone to get me back on track.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I just pickup the Bontrager Node 2.1 and the Garmin speed and cadence unit (The store was out of Bontrager speed/cadence unit and glad the sales rep recommended the Garmin unit because it's a lot easy to switch between bikes.) I plan to use IpBike and my phone for GPS and data collection, store, and analysis. It's a $210 solution and I too are uncomfortable of spending more than double for full fledged GPS units.

Just completed a 2 hour ride last Sunday and only used 15% of the phone battery (safely tucked away in my back pocket). For those that have an android phone, I highly recommend taking an look at IpBike. It not the easiest to setup and some may look down on it's simplistic interface but for $10 it provides you a wealth of information. Ride data is best to view on third party site like Strava which IpBike has automated upload for. You can also export ride data in a number of formats (csv, gpx, tcx, fit, pwx, ipp, & dat). Personally I use Endomondo which IpBike does not have automatic upload for but I just use the export/import for my rides.

The Bontrager unit is not bad but wish the unit attachment to the bike was more secured.