SL5x5 while on vacation?

Options
willrun4bagels
willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
We're going away on vacation from 6/27 - 7/6. I just finished my 5th week of SL (Started 5/3/14).

While we're away, I fully intend on eating whatever I like within reason (i.e. not eating 3 full sized whoopie pies like I did last year on vacation...). Last year was pre-MFP. I will be weighing and logging my breakfast and lunch each day since we are staying in a house with a kitchen, but we'll be out for dinner at night and I'll eat and drink as I please.

Last year, I brought running shoes with me, and kept saying that I'd get up one morning and go for a run. Yeah, that never happened. I also probably ate like 5k cals a day and felt awful about myself. We have no pictures of the two of us from last year on vacation.:cry:

I would like to continue being able to do SL while we're away to keep myself accountable. I'm thinking of aiming for 3 workouts during the trip. I started to look for gyms online (this is a very expensive/touristy area)... I found one that will give a day pass for $20, or a week long pass for $75. Do I really want to drop between $60 (3 single day passes) just to get 3 SL workouts in? Would you? I pay $20/month right now for my gym... this seems super steep, but I'd like to be able to continue working out so that I don't get into a rut when I return home. I know myself, if I don't do anything active for those whole 10 days, I'll get back home feeling like a beached whale and then I won't jump right back into my 5am workouts that I am doing now. I need routine to keep me on track.

If you were in the same situation - would you fork over the money to go to the gym? Or should I just bring a 30 Day Shred DVD (I hate them!!!!! Sorry Jillian...) and suck it up and do a few of those at the house while we're away?

And - if I were to go with the workout video option and miss SL for 10 days... where would I start again with the program when I got back home? Repeat the same weights that I did right before we left? Or de-load on each lift?

Thank you!

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    How about just planning for a bodyweight week? It'll give you a deload of sorts and will be completely free! You can do it on the floor of the place you'll be staying at (if you have a kitchen, it means you have access to chairs and whatnot so there isn't much you can't do! Something maybe like this

Day 1: 20 min AMRAP (as many rounds as possible, rest only when needed) of
    - 12 BW Squats
    - 10 let me ins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPvK5FamZKY) or any rowing/pulling variation you can find. Inverted BW rows on a table work too (let me ups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6NO50G-Uc), or find a big water bucket or fill a backpack with heavy things.
    - 8 Push-ups

Day 2: 3 sets of 8-12 of each, 1-2 min rest between sets
    - Pike presses
    - Walking lunges (per leg!), with added weight if it's too easy
    - Bicycle crunches (slow, controlled movement)
    - 1 leg romanian deadlifts or suitcase deadlifts (I imagine you'll be bringing a suitcase with. Fill it up with a bunch of heavy books or something, and have fun lifting it up off the ground (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FePRQacwd6I obv the suitcase will be higher up so you may wanna put yourself up on a platform to raise the difficulty a tad)

Day 3: 4 rounds of these 4 exercises in a 20s HARD/INTENSE work, 10s interval (tabata) scheme (so 16 mins total, although you might wanna warm-up a bit before-hand). Rotate between exercises
    - Jump lunges
    - close grip push-ups
    - Jumping Jacks or Total body extensions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPuxltIo9Og)
    - Cross body Mountain Climbers

There's plenty of ways you could go about this, but that could be somewhat my plan for the week if I truly didn't have access to a gym or any equipment whatsoever. I do own resistance bands and a TRX though, which are great investments. Heck, you can pick one up for less than 40$ on amazon http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-3000-Equalizer-Trainer-Black/dp/B005CV8LBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402325285&sr=8-1&keywords=woss+suspension

Hopefully you'll just be happier to get back to the gym after this ;) (And hey, I was nice and did not include burpees. Be thankful! lol)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be dropping that kind of money for 3 workouts and I like krok's idea of a body weight workout. I would say go with the dvd but if you don't like doing them, my guess is you would pack them and find every excuse not to do them.

I would deload everything by 10lbs when I got back, it would take less than 2 weeks to get back up to where you were lifting wise and a deload is great to work on form and give your body a rest.
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I second the bodyweight workouts and other than that maybe try to walk everywhere as much as you can. Walking is a great way to know a new place.

It really depends on the destination but you should be able to incorporate cardio in your sightseeing. For example when we were in Paris we walked like 30,000 steps a day, in Hawaii we completed a few hikes, etc... If you are in a resort area in Cabo you might just lay by the pool all day, if that's the case get a good swimming session at some point.

I wouldn't go through the trouble of going to a gym and losing maybe 2 hours of my day plus paying a lot for it. Above all, enjoy your vacation, your body could benefit from it.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree with the bodyweight because I am cheap as shiiiiiiiiii.

fitnessblender.com has a lot of really great hiit workouts
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I will give that bodyweight routine a go! The house has plenty of space for me to get a workout in.

We are going to be in Kennebunkport, Maine. We'll be walking a lot during the day, so I'll pick a daily step goal on my Fitbit and work to meet that goal each day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I try to travel to places that have a branch of my gym there and I can use it. Or I would use the hotel gym.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Lol, I can understand the BW suggestions.

I know for me, I'd plunk the $60 down for day passes because I would want to continue my routine. My train of thought would be if I have money to blow on vacation I have money to blow on myself. ;)

That being said, if money is tight or you just don't like the idea of spending the cash, find some great BW workouts. :)
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'll have the same problem soon, so thanks krok :love: Especially for skipping burpees!:heart:
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks visiting family and was wondering what to do. I'm still going to look into visitors passes but it's a small town and I might have no choice but the bw routines.