pregnancy and running question

Options
dydn11402
dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
just wondering if this is typical...
ive been running for about a year so not a long seasoned runner here. before getting pregnant i had worked up to running at 6.0 (10 min mile) for 3 miles, 3 times a week plus 2 days of strength training. however, pretty much as soon as i got pregnant i had noticeably less energy and stamina and had to slow down my run and take 1 or 2 walk breaks. i dont really know the reason for this and was wondering if this was normal. i am now 13 weeks/4 days and still running at that slower pace and taking necessary walk breaks. im hoping my speed and stamina will pick up...
any runners out there? what has been your experience?

Replies

• Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think this is a common thing. I've been running for several years and I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant. My pace has slowed down significantly since I found out I'm pregnant. Listen to your body. If you're tired, walk, if you're ok, jog. :)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I've been running for years but pretty much as soon as I got pregnant I list my ability to run up hills then progressively got slower, well before I started gaining weight or showing. It's perfectly normal, but not a reason to stop. Just enjoy the scenery the slower pace provides.
  • calbre8
    calbre8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I noticed similar changes first with weight training. I can't do as many reps per set--if I try to push it I feel light-headed and overheated. I also feel that with jogging.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Same here. I found that I was out of breath right away and my heart would be hammering in my chest. I started doing more incline walking (when trying to jog on treadmill). I'm 25 weeks now and have pretty much stopped (though that has more to do with a busy schedule and it being hot, etc). I was able to run a 5K at 18 weeks and run the whole thing at a decent pace, but I think it was only b/c of the race day mindset. I hadn't been able to run 3 whole miles for months before that and haven't since! lol
  • katebrog
    katebrog Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was an avid runner pre-pregnancy and ran my first Full a few months before becoming pregnant, I was actually planning to run another Full at 16 weeks, but dropped down to the Half instead, just to be on the safe side. I felt great running the Half and ran it in a pretty good time at around 1:50 - I did notice my stamina wasn't quite the same and I tired easily. I continued running roughly 25miles/week up until I was around 25 weeks or so which is when I experienced a really bad pain in my left groin/hip area. It hurt so bad I could barely pick my left leg up to put my pants on for work. The doctor said I more than likely pulled something, or since my tendons are becoming loose and pelvis is shifting to get ready for the baby, my left hip could've popped out of alignment, causing a pain in my upper left inner thigh/pelvis area. Needless to say, I'm still experiencing upper inner thigh tendon pain and pelvis pain so I'm taking it easy in regards to running. Slowly ran a 5k last weekend when I was almost 30 weeks, finished in 29:40, which is a lot slower than what I'm used to, but I didn't want to push it too hard with my left groin/upper tendon still bothering me. This week I'm back at doing the elliptical or group cycle and upper body weights 5x/week, and a tiny bit of jogging on the TM if my pelvis/tendon feels better. Just take it easy and take it day by day. It makes me feel good to get some type of physical exercise in at least 5x/week, even if it's not running, the elliptical and group ride is a great way to break a sweat, without pushing your limits too hard.