PCOS resolving with age?

Options
tmaryam
tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 19 and I've dealt with just about every symptom in the book. In 2005 I went on Yasmin to control symptoms and that helped tremendously so I stayed on it until about 4 months ago. Since coming off Yasmin, my periods have been every 28 days like clockwork, I'm showing signs of ovulation, and I have no major PCOS symptoms, nor any increase in the small pre-existing symptoms that were kept in check by Yasmin. I'm 37. I don't know if this has to do with age, or what else it could be (not that I am complaining), but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced improvements with age?

Replies

• LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing. I am thinking that the BC pill is still in my system though. I don't know how long it will take to get out of it either. I pray that I am wrong an my cycle is on track, but don't know. I am still having issues with the hair growth though.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was told after getting pregnant that it is possible to "jump-start" the hormones responsible for ovulation. They stopped short of telling me the syndrome would go away, but they did say there could very well be a permanent change in my body that may lessen the symptoms. I imagine long-term use of medications may have accomplished the same thing for you. It may also be an artifact of age. I was 37 when I got pregnant, 39 now and I know my body's certainly settling into a pattern that does not resemble me in my 20s. I won't say middle-age, because it's subtler than that. It's just different.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Very interesting. I'm definitely feeling "fertile." Sore swollen breasts, ovulation pain, the whole nine yards. I hope it continues, I want baby #2 ASAP!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    In my case, it got worse with age. I have two children and conceiving #2 was much harder (and took longer) than conceiving #1.
    With #2, I had a few normal length cycles after going off the pill and then... nothing. Literally. Without the help of metformin I did not get a period at all. It was very frustrating because I had frequent pregnancy symptoms (and I know what it feels like obviously) - tender breasts, nausea, cramps, even ovulation pain but then I would never get my period. My best guess is that my body was trying to ovulate but couldn't.
    Best of luck and baby dust to you!
  • tmaryam
    Options
    In my case, it got worse with age. I have two children and conceiving #2 was much harder (and took longer) than conceiving #1.
    With #2, I had a few normal length cycles after going off the pill and then... nothing. Literally. Without the help of metformin I did not get a period at all. It was very frustrating because I had frequent pregnancy symptoms (and I know what it feels like obviously) - tender breasts, nausea, cramps, even ovulation pain but then I would never get my period. My best guess is that my body was trying to ovulate but couldn't.
    Best of luck and baby dust to you!

Thank you! I guess I should mention that I took a cycle of Clomid last month (the first and only time I've taken it in my life), but I didn't take any for my last cycle because it was bad timing with my new job and I didn't feel like being sick during my first few weeks on the job. I just found out that it stays in your system for 50+ days, so I guess it's still working and that's probably why I'm ovulating. It doesn't really explain why I'm not having cysts and acne though. :huh:
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS symptoms when I was a teenager. My symptoms got somewhat better after childbirth (I had twins 5 years ago); my cycles have been shorter and more regular since then.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Meant to add, I just turned 38; was 32 when I had the babies.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    That's very interesting, I never imagined I would be relieved of this "plague." I feel so much better! I won't keep my hopes up though, maybe after a few more cycles off Yasmin, things will go haywire again. But here's to a glimmer of HOPE! :smile:
  • kbshannon
    kbshannon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If Yasmin can clear up the hair growth, greasy face and acne thing, I am willing to go on it. I have had a tubal ligation, so I can't get pregnant. I am trying to do this without resorting to medications. Myo-inositol seems to work to a degree, just added red yeast rice. There is a history of estrogen induced breast cancer in my family, so I want to steer clear of that.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    If Yasmin can clear up the hair growth, greasy face and acne thing, I am willing to go on it. I have had a tubal ligation, so I can't get pregnant. I am trying to do this without resorting to medications. Myo-inositol seems to work to a degree, just added red yeast rice. There is a history of estrogen induced breast cancer in my family, so I want to steer clear of that.

Yasmin contains drospirenone which blocks some androgens which are responsible for a lot of those symptoms. I used to have horrible skin, but Yasmin cleared it up completely and my skin has been nearly flawless ever since. That's why I'm so shocked that the acne didn't come back when I stopped it. In the past, if I even missed a week of Yasmin, the acne would return. And it was the painful, cystic acne too. Another thing that used to help me was dexamethasone (very effective for hair growth, blocks testosterone), but it IS a steroid which can cause a whole new set of problems, so I eventually stopped that one. (But it was glorious while I was on it!) I've been off Yasmin since around March, and so far, it's as if I don't have PCOS at all.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Just wanted to update that my PCOS symptoms have returned, :grumble: though not as severe as before. Luckily no acne on my face... strangely, it's on the back of my neck near my hairline, so at least I can hide it! My period was a little off too. I spotted on day 28 then off & on for about 5 days, and then my "real" period came. Well, it was nice while it lasted! :tongue:

I'm curious, do you count the first day of light spotting as Cycle Day 1, or do I count from the first day of your normal period? I will need to know this for my next round of Clomid.
  • starspecks
    starspecks Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was told after getting pregnant that it is possible to "jump-start" the hormones responsible for ovulation. They stopped short of telling me the syndrome would go away, but they did say there could very well be a permanent change in my body that may lessen the symptoms. I imagine long-term use of medications may have accomplished the same thing for you. It may also be an artifact of age. I was 37 when I got pregnant, 39 now and I know my body's certainly settling into a pattern that does not resemble me in my 20s. I won't say middle-age, because it's subtler than that. It's just different.

wow I never heard this! It explains a lot! I was diagnosed at 20 via blood work (showed high androgynous hormones I forget the name) that was confirmed with trans-vaginal ultrasound. I was on metformin which resolved my symptoms. I never had a real period. Had my son 4 years ago and have had a normal cycle ever since. The unfortunate part is I have been paying attention to my blood sugar lately and I've been running really high. I actually am going tomorrow for an A1C and have a glucose tolerance test coming up. I can't take birth control though since I was put on the lowest dose available and had the warning signs of a stroke happen almost immediately.
  • jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. The symptoms weren't that bad as a teenager...just no periods. I got pregnant right away with my daughter after one round of clomid. I was 21 was she was born. After she was born, the PCOS symptoms came on with a vengeance. When she was two, we tried four more rounds of clomid with no success and we decided not to pursue more invasive treatments. Over the next 10 years I gained over 100 pounds and pretty much became the poster child for PCOS. Then, on my 35th birthday my period started. This was the fist time in my entire life that I had a period that was not medically induced by birth control or some other medication. I was flabbergasted. Seven months later I got pregnant but later miscarried. Four months later I was pregnant again and had my son when I was 36. I'm 38 now and my periods are pretty much like clockwork (although every once in a while I may skip one). I still have some of the PCOS symptoms....but, the acne cleared up and my hair got thicker. I still deal with the insulin resistance but I've been on MFP for almost 8 weeks and have lost 24 pounds. I'm really hoping that as I continue to lose weight some of the PCOS symptoms that I still struggle with will lessen or even better, disappear.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    My God, my acne came back with a VENGEANCE. I'm on doxycycline now just to clear it up. Not cool. :grumble:

but no ovarian cyst pain.... YET. I know it's coming soon.
  • sharimedina
    sharimedina Posts: 116
    Options
    Just wanted to update that my PCOS symptoms have returned, :grumble: though not as severe as before. Luckily no acne on my face... strangely, it's on the back of my neck near my hairline, so at least I can hide it! My period was a little off too. I spotted on day 28 then off & on for about 5 days, and then my "real" period came. Well, it was nice while it lasted! :tongue:

I'm curious, do you count the first day of light spotting as Cycle Day 1, or do I count from the first day of your normal period? I will need to know this for my next round of Clomid.

i know this is a little late, but you count the first day of full flow as cd 1 for medicated cycles. ;) I have two beautiful Metformin babies, conceived while on cycle breaks from clomid and insemination because my hubby has extra low sperm counts. (Emma 6 and Micah 4) A lot of people have a few regular cycles after going off BC. I had my kids at 37 and 39, had my tubes tied and stayed on BC for 2 years and then went off for personal reasons. My cycles have been like clockwork since... 28-30 days. I am 43 and recently had bloodwork done to see if I may be premenopausal because I am having some issues with my diabetes...and my 3 day FSH was 4.6....so more fertile than ever before...no where near menopause. I still have facial hair and acne and it is super hard to lose weight. So, not sure about resolving with age completely.

Good luck with your TTC journey!!
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Thank you @sharimedina for the info, good to know! I don't know if we will continue TTC, I'm thinking more about adoption, but I still have time to think about it. Not MUCH time, but some. :) I'm thinking about asking my RE for low dose decadron. It can help prevent miscarriage in women with autoimmune disease and it also lowers androgen levels. In the meantime I might go back on Yasmin to try to get these PCOS symptoms under control. It was a lovely 4 months feeling normal!