GP's Warning Of Post Surgery Depression

Options
relentless2121
relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
Hi All, today I brought my GP of almost 20 years my pre-op paper work. I am a little confused about something and thought I would start a new topic to get some feedback from members in the group. Please keep in mind she is an amazing Doctor and I am blessed to have her. She really has my back.

After discussing the surgery and paperwork she wanted to remind me of how permanent this procedufe is. Then she started talking about depression and wanted to warn me that some people are even more depressed after surgery than they were before the surgery. I guess she was implying that some people regret having the surgery. Meaning that for people who have battled depression for years before surgery (which in my opinion goes hand in hand for most of us and being obese) that their depressive state can actually worsen after surgery and I don't mean just the early recovery time.

I'm not trying to open up a can of worms here and start controversy, I guess I just find this very confusing. I realize that of course there are going to be people on both sides of the spectrum, in the middle and everywhere in between in regarding to how their mood was affected by the surgery. As many have stated, the surgery doesn't change your mindset as far as being a food addict or compulsive overeater or whatever you want to call it. I'm a 12 Stepper and totally understand and relate food addiction being like an alcoholic or any other type of addict. We just have had a different drug of choice.

I guess as someone who has been obese my whole life, I can't imagine how having the change to have this tool that can help us to change our lives can actually make some of us more depressed. I guess it depends on the level of complications etc. I also understand that it totally changes our relationship to food and I would think that there will be times after my surgery that I will grieve it. Am I crazy for thinking like this?

Anyway, I think you get the point I'm trying to make here. I'd really appreciate some feedback from others who are post surgery and what your thoughts are. Also, has anyone done any research on this aspect of the surgery? I would be interested to find out.

I am soooo looking forward to being sleeved in the fall. Just trying to be as informed and prepared as I possible can be.

I value the wonderful friends I've made on the site and I love that every comment I've read on here has been supportive. I've yet to see any bashing or mocking on this site and I love it very much.

For anyone who would like to post or send me a private message or friend me, please do so.

Thanks everyone and have a good evening.:smile:

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    From what I am aware people who are already on anti-depressants will not absorb as much of the medication after the surgery. There a lot of people will have to have there meds adjusted.

I do know that some people will have mood changes and the likes right after surgery . Sort of like buyer's remorse. I do know a few people who went through this at first, but as time went by and they were able to eat more "normal" and get back to feeling better that their perspective change and they were glad they had it done.

I hope this helped.
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also, it is very common to have some sort of depression issues arise after ANY surgery, not just bariatric surgery. Many people who undergo heart surgery, joint replacement, etc have a period of depression. It is sometimes part of the trauma the body undergoes from major surgery.

I can't speak to the issue of how much medication is absorbed. I went off antidepressants many months before surgery due to the fact that they sometimes can cause weight gain and because it turned me into someone else. I had been on the medication for about 2 years. The Psych at my clinic suggested I switch to another antidepressant that didn't cause the body to hold so much weight and I tried it for about 6 weeks. I *DO NOT* suggest this, but I went off it cold turkey because my personality completely changed and once off (and yes, I endured the zaps, et al) I went back to being my (somewhat) normal self and my husband had his wonderful wife back... LOL

Personally, I have had situational depression a couple times in my life (once due to divorce and another time after psychological trauma I experienced). But, realizing that I only had surgery a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't be happier with the decision. That is why we undergo such a barrage of therapy beforehand. If we end up mourning food the rest of our lives and can't get past the food to see the amazement of life and all it has to offer, I'm sure depression can be an end result.

~E
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The permanence of the procedure is something I think you really have to wrestle with. You have to know within whether you are truly ready to not go back to the way you ate before and that your relationship with food must change. It is a very real consideration. I have a good friend who knows I am considering surgery and she asked me this very question this morning. And my answer was 'I don't know.' That's why I going through this process of exploration and contemplation. It seems though that you have been very thoughtful about this process and know the answer for that yourself.

It IS very common after any surgery to experience some depression and i can imaging there is a real mourning that may take place after WLS. But I would think that would be put next to feeling better with weight loss and better health.

Give consideration to her words-a good GP is a gift-but also know that you have been on this journey and have wrestled with these questions already.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I can't say I was depressed after surgery, but I had a moment or two of "What the heck did I do??". That was pretty early on and in my case, I attribute some of that to rebounding from anesthesia, being on pain meds, being a little uncomfortable while recovering, etc. It didn't last at all and really it was just a few thoughts here and there. Once I got back on my feet and started moving forward, I was fine and I never looked back. I was more excited than anything else. I was looking forward to a happy, healthy future, and for the first time I really felt that it was mine for the taking. It is a huge change and I can see how adjusting might be harder for some people than it might be for others, but I did a lot of work before surgery to prepare myself, both mentally and physically. Trust yourself, you know where your head and your heart are in this process, and you will know if it's right for you.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had surgery four weeks ago and I wouldn't say I'm depressed, I would say that I am overwhelmed. Without food to fall back on, I am amazed at the sheer amount of emotions that I covered up with food. I can't turn to food to deal with them anymore so I have to actually acknowledge the feelings and deal with them, usually right them because I am not a sit on it kind of girl. I don't feel like the therapy that I did for well over six months before this surgery even came close to preparing me for the sense of loss that I have felt since my surgery day.

I also have way more money in my bank account, which is a plus!!

I can completely understand how this procedure could cause depression or even something that feels like depression. Everyday I wake up and I feel a little more free and as time goes on, I know it'll get better. I still feel uncomfortable and I still feel like I'm not losing fast enough but it'll all work out in the end. This happened for a reason so I'm just gonna go with it.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Some people have not resolved medicating with food prior to surgery. After surgery they do not have the crutch of comfort food to turn to. I know two patients who refused to stick with the 70%protein 25%veg -no potato5% whole grain lifestyle. They just went back to eating rich high carb junk. This resulted in them being chronically nauseated, depressed, weak and In a pissy mood. Others discover that WLS is not magic and is a whole lot of work and they just don't want to work the plan and they choose to keep medicating with food and they eat around the surgery and get even more depressed. Some people cannot handle that they will not have this fabulous model body when they lose 100 lbs. maybe looking 10 yrs older cause you have a turkey neck, maybe they lose lots of their hair, or the fact that they are covered in stretch marks and loose skin. Your GP is correct 50% of people will not stick to the plan and many will likely have increased depression.
  • noelboquet
    noelboquet Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't think its fair to say that you will be more depressed. If you have mental health issues you have them while u are self medicating with food...you might continue to have them after. But worse? One of the benefits of the right after surgery is the high you get while losing weight...you fixate on it for a while .you feel good about your changing body and watching the scale move....kind of filling in the gap of the before comfort eating. Certainly VSG isn't going to fix your depression issues ...that takes years of headwork.

The surgery is deffo permanent...that's the point...a permanent tool to keep your weight down. VSG isn't like gastric bypass you are basically only getting the volume of your stomach reduced. It really has very few adversities. U still get all your vitamins from your food and you still eat. Dumping can happen but its not nearly as common as with GB ..basically its just a restrictive surgery. I call it a designer stomach. We don't chase and hunt our food or garden it or gather it...our genetic stomachs are beyond too large for most of our lifestyles yet we still are hungry and trying to fill it. VSG is just a smaller stomach. That's it.

Personally I have never missed my stomach in the last 7 years...not once. If I was still obese...I would still be in depths of depression or dead by now. I cannot equate gluttony with being happier. I am much happier now.

Just my 2 cents...

If u want to see a long term study ( besides me lol) on people with all of their stomach removed This family is what made me choose VSG...they have no stomach...read the article and then read below where the subject actually responded to the article...its very interesting They are doing well though they do not have a stomach at ...

http://cancer.about.com/b/2006/06/19/family-at-risk-for-stomach-cancer-has-stomach-removal-surgery.htm
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks very much to all who posted and shared their experience, strength, hope and knowledge based on life experience.
    Thanks for the link Noel, I will check it out. :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any depression after the surgery. Overwhelmed? Of yeah! It's a lot of information and a lot of change to how you shop and prepare food, and getting the water in, etc. But actual depression or even that "what have I done" feeling, no. I know it's commen for depression after any surgery, simply because of the trama the body goes through, it can throw the checmical balance off in the brain. Also, if a person has depression issues before surgery, the added stress to the body from any surgery can make them worse. I guess my point is, this particular surgery isn't know to "cause" depression so that's not something I would worry about.

I also agree with what others have written here. If your relationship with food makes you feel you are losing a friend when you diet, you will most likely be depressed after WLS. But I think that's more an emotional issue than a checmical imbalance or stress from surgery issue.
  • NoXCuses4me
    Options
    My husband had WLS a few years before I did and he did have some depression. I think it was due to the "What did I do - this is permanent - will I ever feel "normal" again" reality hitting him. We enjoy fine-dining for example, and I think it actually depressed him to think that part of our life was "over." Well, as time went on, of course you can still enjoy a night out, in moderation. We just went out two nights ago! But now we share an entree or even just an appetizer, and that is PLENTY! The 10th bite of something is no tastier than the first, and we had to learn that.

Anyway, when I had my surgery, I knew what to expect from watching him before me, so I had no such issues. I was happy as a little clam when my BP dropped too low and I had to go off all meds, when I got to pack up my C-pap machine for good, when I finshed a 5K without stopping once, and when I bought my first pair of size 8 NON-Stretch jeans! :smile:
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    I've had some emotional moments after my surgery 2 weeks ago. I had to be changed to a non extended release version of one of my depression meds (because you have to crush meds for 3 months) , and also my blood sugars are more variable, my energy is low on less than 800 cal, and some pain , all of which I'm sure contributes to some depressed mood. but I'm already getting complements on my appearance, and my clothes fit better, I'm happier with how I look in the mirror, so it's balancing out.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from clinical depression unrelated to my weight, my marriage, my life, my children, my career, unrelated to ANYTHING. That's the kicker with clinical depression. It needs no reason to exist. Something goes wrong with the chemistry in the brain and life becomes one big dark hole and the only way the spiral goes is DOWN.

by the way, I no longer suffer from clinical depression. Don't ask me why. I'm aware of the thoughts and self-talk that can lead to it and have become adept at turning off those switches. Not to say it will never happen again, but somewhere, deep down, I don't think I'll face that monster again anytime soon.

That said, I took the talk of post-surgery depression seriously because I'd rather be fat than living in that deep dark hole. And I did get depressed, on day three. I seriously wanted my old life back. I was puking and hurting and feeling like a freak of nature. Day four was a little better, but I had a few difficult days there until my husband yanked me off my blood pressure meds (he's a doc, no worries). I perked up considerably once they were out of my system. My BP had reverted to it's normal very low state which I'd enjoyed up until the last year or so before the surgery.

Some days, I get a little blue. It has more to do with my back giving me difficulties and feeling confined. I rarely get out of the house and I'm still healing. I'm no spring chicken anymore. But the scale is moving down again and I know that no matter how my back feels now, losing weight will only help it. I know that I am going to enjoy ordering clothes in smaller sizes, and will feel more secure that even if my back does give out in public, I'll be a normal weight individual in need of assistance and not a 350 pound beached whale in need of assistance.

So, on those days I get blue, I hold to that.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing everyone. I appreciate and value all of your posts. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I know from reading the post of others, and from what a few members of my "live" support group have said, that worsening depression does happen in some people. I can't say I was clinically depressed before my procedure, but I was taking an anti-anxiety that is also used to treat depression, (prescribed by my PCP to help lower my blood pressure). I felt very out of control before my procedure, depending on dozens of other people for approval, appointments, recommendations, etc stressed me out. After the procedure, I, as most folks experience as they lose large amounts of fat rapidly along with all the hormones and toxins stored there, was a crazy person for about a month. Crying at the drop of a hat, (usually over happy things) but I can't say I was depressed exactly. I had great hope for the future as I was beginning to see results and that kept my spirits up. My procedure went really easy, I was out of the hospital in 24 hours and back at work the next week. Never needed narcotic pain meds. I followed instructions for walking, fluids, protein and supplements. I advanced my diet a bit ahead of schedule as my sleeve would tolerate.

I never had a "what have I done" moment. I've never missed what I can no longer have because I have yet to find a food that doesn't agree. I have found that some foods make me feel better than others, so I tend to eat less of the ones that don't make me feel great and more of the ones that do. I focus on quality over quantity now and I like it that way. As long as I don't over eat and exercise, I feel great, so that's how I intend to live!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think that there are several issues involved with mental health and WLS...

The first is denial of mental illness/mood disorder/depression/compulsivity pre-op. Many people cling to the idea that they have become morbidly obese simply because they have a slow metabolism, had a physical illness or injury or for other reasons beyond their control. The truth is that no one becomes morbidly obese because they "like" food or slightly overeat. There may be very few cases where someone truly has a terrible metabolism, but that would be rare. Generally, people who are morbidly obese have underlying issues that have caused them to abuse food in a way that others may choose to abuse drugs, sex, shopping or gambling. WLS does not fix those underlying issues. I find it amusing/interesting/frustrating that when I frequently suggest cognitive behavioral therapy to those who are entering the WLS process, they respond as if I'm crazy. There is a huge amount of denial and lack of insight present in many who enter this process as evidenced by the number of people who post in WLS forums asking how to "trick" or "get around" the psychiatric interview component or mask their current mental illness to expedite the surgical process.

The second, which is a consequence of the first, is the presence of "cross addictions" post-op. Many of us have used food as a source of comfort and pleasure, and as our primary coping mechanism for "numbing" our mood disorder-related illness. When that coping mechanism and pleasure is abruptly removed from our lives, and we have not developed other healthy coping mechanisms and sources of pleasure, it can send us into a serious decompensation. It's not a coincidence that many of the most successful WLS patients become addicted to excercise -- running, lifting weights, or become very, very controlling about the types of food that they consume -- carb limiting and logging food come to mind. These are coping mechanisms that enhance success. People who don't find the structure and healthy coping behaviors often begin to abuse other things -- alcohol, drugs, shopping, sex. I have seen numerous people in my online social network of WLS patients develop drug or alcohol issues, become very sexually promiscuous, or have online or real-life affairs. It is very important to be aware that this can happen, develop healthy coping skills and replace food with other healthy, pleasurable activities.

The third is that many morbidly obese people (myself included) see weight as 'THE THING" in the their life that keeps them from being happy. If only they were thin, they would be sexy, successful at work, find a (better) boyfriend, be active, be financially secure, be a better parent, etc. etc... They also believe that WLS is "THE WAY" to fix everything and find their perfect life. This is so untrue. Being overweight is miserable, and my quality of life is much higher now that I'm thin, but WLS had very little to do with it. WLS is great for losing weight, but does very, very little to help maintain weight. I would credit WLS with 75% of my ability to lose weight, and only 25% of my ability to maintain my loss. People who believe that WLS is the only solution to their problems are destined to fail. And that failure would be very, very depressing, because we've all failed so many times at weight loss before, and many of us seek WLS as the final solution.

I think that the scientific literature surrounding compulsive eating and how to diagnose and fix the mental disorders that contribute to and are consequences of morbid obesity is severely lacking, but I do know that cognitive behavioral therapy is highly effective for the treatment of other eating disorders, mood disorders, anxiety disorders and low-self esteem. Being fat is such a small part of the equation, and developing a healthy lifestyle is so important in making the positive changes that we all desire. I highly recommend that mental health, emotional health and general fitness and health are pursued concurrently and with an equal amount of energy as people enter the realm of WLS.

I have absolutely no regrets about having WLS. WLS along with CBT have changed my life in ways I never dreamed possible, but it has required a great deal of physical and emotional effort to get to where I am today.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Thanks Bikrchik and My Own Sunshine. I really appreciate and value your input. :smile:
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

...Great Stuff Snipped...

I have absolutely no regrets about having WLS. WLS along with CBT have changed my life in ways I never dreamed possible, but it has required a great deal of physical and emotional effort to get to where I am today.

Really good post, Sunshine! Lots of good stuff to think about.
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    :

...Great Stuff Snipped...

Really good post, Sunshine! Lots of good stuff to think about.

Completely agree. And really speaks as to my own hesitation with approaching the WLS journey-want to be sure I am approaching the entire process in a wholly healthy way.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Outstanding post Sunshine. I credit 90% of my success with learning to love me unreservedly as a 43 yr old obese woman prior to my surgery. I thank God the surgery wasn't available to me 10 yrs ago. I would have eaten right around it.